• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with the same name in other countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think White City on the Central Line has a number of namesake towns and cities in the Slavonic world. I haven't checked whether they all have railway stations, but Belgrade/Beograd (Serbia) and Belgorod (Russia) definitely do.

And at 3:57 in this video there's evidence of a Steinhäusle, which I think is a diminutive of Stonehouse, somewhere in the Germanic world; some investigation suggests that it might be Bad Herrenalb Steinhäusle on the Karlsruhe tram-train system.

Gloster

Established Member
If I remember correctly, the -le suffix is a south German regional diminutive: Häusle is ‘little house’. There is a ditty about the Schwäbisch (Swabian) mentality: Sparen, sparen, Häusle bauen (Save, save, and build your little house).

341o2

Established Member
Even more trivia - I have managed at different points in the past to travel to both in a BR Mark 2 carriage...
Christchurch, UK and NZ, Tasmanian railways which ceased passenger services in 1978 had Launceston and Devonport, they also have a Derwent Valley railway

Calthrop

Established Member
... Tasmanian railways which ceased passenger services in 1978 had Launceston and Devonport, they also have a Derwent Valley railway

Also on the island's rail system, now or in the past (I have a decidedly soft spot for Tasmania and its railways): Brighton, Guildford, Melrose, Sheffield, Stanley; and (cheating a little bit) Ulverstone and Bridgewater (both with e's); Apsley; and Queenstown (the old name of Cobh in Ireland).

Last edited:

southern442

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Sutton in Dublin

Also surely there must be somewhere like Hessle in Germany? :D

Calthrop

Established Member
Also surely there must be somewhere like Hessle in Germany? :D

Well, there has been Hesel (Land Niedersachsen) -- said community, in the very far north-western corner of Germany -- on a light railway abandoned some fifty years ago (some of my Tasmanian places a few posts back, also on long-closed lines) :s ...

JRT

I did once stop overnight at Herne (town in Germany). It did seem a good idea to stay there.

Also stayed at Pontassieve (near Firenze), translated as Pontefract on the internet, but that could have been someone having a joke.

Beebman

Some years ago I was in northern Italy travelling from Bolzano to Merano and I remember that the train stopped a place called Settequerce which translates as 'Sevenoaks'.

Established Member
Longfield = Langenfeld (Rheinland). A small station on lines S6 and S68 of the Rhein-Ruhr S-Bahn.

142blue

On Moderation
Sadly disused but this is Stockport, Australia

Attachments

• 17031896497_40ca74ae0b_b.jpg
    17031896497_40ca74ae0b_b.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 15

vlad

If we're doing translations and names that don't fit entirely:
St Petersburg translates as Peterborough. It has a metro station called sennaya ploshchad, or Haymarket.

There's a University station on the Moscow metro.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
If we're doing translations and names that don't fit entirely:
Many years ago I went on a school trip to Moscow. The nearest Metro station to our hotel was named after the nearby Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (Vystavka Dostizheniy Narodnovo Khozyaystva) - abbreviated to VDNKh. In Cyrillic script this is written ВДНХ, so we just called it "BANK".

beardedbrit

New England is your friend for this.

I can see:

Andover
Reading
Gloucester
Beverly
Belmont
Lincoln
Shirley
Mansfield
Newmarket
Braintree
Bridgewater
Halifax
Kingston
Plymouth
Ipswich

And several that don't quite work:

Bradford
Wakefield
Winchester Center
Waverley
North Leominster
Worcester
Islington
Windsor Gardens
Norwood Central
Boston South Station
East Weymouth
and continuing on the New England theme, Amtrak's 'Downeaster' has stops at Durham, Exeter and Dover in New Hampshire. The 'Vermonter' train (suspended during the pandemic) stops at Northampton, Massachusetts.

In the Boston area, Malden (Commuter rail and subway) is near enough to New Malden...

Last edited:

Lukeo2311

There is a station at Runcorn (Brisbane QLD) & one at Birkdale (Brisbane QLD) too. I went to Birkdale recently to get fish and chips in the Britsh style fish and chip shop there!!

johnnychips

Established Member
In Dutch, the suffix -gem corresponds with the English -ham and both derive from the Saxon for village. Therefore Waregem in Belgium is roughly the same as Wareham. I would be surprised if the first part of their place names have similar etymology though.

Edit: the English town’s first part comes from ‘weir’ and the Belgian’s from the Waro tribe.

b0b

Established Member
You can find a Montrose and an Argyle (Argyle St) on the Chicago L system

Springs Branch

Established Member
Several members have given examples in eastern Australia, plus there's a good selection in Western and South Australia:-

Perth, W.A.
Armadale
Ashfield
Bayswater
Beckenham (but not a Junction)
Carlisle
Guildford
Perth
Queens Park
Seaforth (but without Litherland)
Stirling
Warwick
Welshpool
Woodbridge

Adelaide, S.A.
Brighton
Cheltenham (but not a Spa)
Croydon (non-geographic, although this station is east of nearby West Croydon)
Grange (plain vanilla, neither Park nor Over Sands)
Hove
Islington (without Highbury)
Kilburn (but not the High Road)
Largs
Mile End
Mitcham (but neither Junction nor Eastfields)
Salisbury
Seaford
West Croydon

Some years ago there were also suburban stations - now obliterated - at Bridgewater (with an "e") and Clapham.
In regional South Australia there are stations still standing, but no-longer served by passenger trains at Aldgate, Keith, Peterborough and Stockport (already mentioned in Post #78).

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If I remember correctly, the -le suffix is a south German regional diminutive: Häusle is ‘little house’. There is a ditty about the Schwäbisch (Swabian) mentality: Sparen, sparen, Häusle bauen (Save, save, and build your little house).

Städtle in the eponymous Elvis song "Wooden Heart" (Muss I Denn)

Reading UK and Réding France (Moselle)

Last edited:

tbwbear

Not sure if it has been mentioned =

Otford (Kent) - Otford (NSW)

XAM2175

Established Member
There is a station at Runcorn (Brisbane QLD) & one at Birkdale (Brisbane QLD) too. I went to Birkdale recently to get fish and chips in the Britsh style fish and chip shop there!!
Branching off a bit, but very near to that Runcorn station there's a Penarth Street, and a bit further away a Miles Platting Road :E

Status
Not open for further replies.