• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - stations with too many platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Marsden - do all three platforms get used?
The loop platform gets used from time to time. It's not a massively long platform but it's quite convenient to shunt trains from the Huddersfield direction (or reverse them in passenger service, if the train is short enough).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
The loop platform gets used from time to time. It's not a massively long platform but it's quite convenient to shunt trains from the Huddersfield direction (or reverse them in passenger service, if the train is short enough).
I thought P3 was mostly used by westbound stoppers, with an occasional use of P2, it being the step-free platform? P1 is always used eastbound.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought P3 was mostly used by westbound stoppers, with an occasional use of P2, it being the step-free platform? P1 is always used eastbound.
P3 has no booked calls. Of course from time to time you might have a service use it, for example to have a longer dwell to be overtaken. But that would normally only be during engineering works or service disruption.

You might be thinking of Mirfield, which has a very similar layout, with platform 3 again being the only step-free platform. In that case, you're correct, as all westbound trains - except the last train of the day from Leeds - use platform 3.

Both Mirfield and Marsden would mostly work just fine without platform 2 and 3 respectively, but as with many of these things, it's during unusual working that having spare platforms comes in handy.

Of course, Mirfield is due to be completely rebuilt as part of the Huddersfield-Westtown four tracking scheme that's been submitted by Network Rail.

Last edited:

YorksLad12

Established Member
P3 has no booked calls. Of course from time to time you might have a service use it, for example to have a longer dwell to be overtaken. But that would normally only be during engineering works or service disruption.

You might be thinking of Mirfield, which has a very similar layout, with platform 3 again being the only step-free platform. In that case, you're correct, as all westbound trains - except the last train of the day from Leeds - use platform 2.

Both Mirfield and Marsden would mostly work just fine without platform 2 and 3 respectively, but as with many of these things, it's during unusual working that having spare platforms comes in handy.

Of course, Mirfield is due to be completely rebuilt as part of the Huddersfield-Westtown four tracking scheme that's been submitted by Network Rail.
Nope - I was definitely thinking of Marsden. Every time I've been there by train I got off on P3... then straight down the hill to the Riverhead via the Railway Pub ;)

Actually, that's a good point about Marsden calls only needing one platform, it only has an hourly service and the trains don't call at the same time. P3 is the accessible one, trains could call in either direction were it not for the need to block the lines while crossing over (and there isn't a crossover going west to east, that I can see. Or one new, accessible island platform in the centre with fast running lines on either side (but then you'd run the risk of drunks running across the tracks like they do at Mirfield). Mirfield still needs two platforms as there are three trains per hour in each direction, I think? Then again, that's the same as Castleford...

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nope - I was definitely thinking of Marsden. Every time I've been there by train I got off on P3... then straight down the hill to the Riverhead via the Railway Pub ;)

Actually, that's a good point about Marsden calls only needing one platform, it only has an hourly service and the trains don't call at the same time. P3 is the accessible one, trains could call in either direction were it not for the need to block the lines while crossing over (and there isn't a crossover going west to east, that I can see. Or one new, accessible island platform in the centre with fast running lines on either side (but then you'd run the risk of drunks running across the tracks like they do at Mirfield). Mirfield still needs two platforms as there are three trains per hour in each direction, I think? Then again, that's the same as Castleford...
As with all of the other stations on the route, you will see step free access added at Marsden as part of the electrification programme. So the current position is only 'temporary' (for maybe another 5 or 10 years!).

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
How often do Eurostar use all 6 platforms at St Panco?

In a non Covid World - immigration requirements mean platform use has to quite inefficient to keep the area ‘sterile’

A train cannot be boarding on one platform whilst an arrival is unloading on the adjacent side of the island. As trains tend to run in ‘flights’ on HS1 this means you need far more infrastructure than otherwise might seem apparent.

snookertam

Is there ever a case where a station has too many platforms or too much infrastructure?

I doubt a signaller will ever think so, for example. There's probably always a circumstance, however rare, where it would come in handy.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is there ever a case where a station has too many platforms or too much infrastructure?

I doubt a signaller will ever think so, for example. There's probably always a circumstance, however rare, where it would come in handy.
A signaller may not, but a maintenance engineer (and accountant) probably does!

Sm5

Clapham Junction..
plat 1 (the original) hasnt been used for decades.
Plat 16/17 are hardly stretched.. you could eliminate the new p1 and 2 easily enough and wrap into p16/17.

Battersea Park ..
plat 1 gone, plat 2 twice a day.

Tattenham Corner..
3 platforms, only ever uses 2.

Norwood Junction..
plat 2 out of use
Plat 7 out of use (is there room for an eighth ?)

Purley / Purley Oaks
plat 1 / 2 are these ever used ?

Caterham
platforms 1 and 2 used in rotation, not paralell… and track 3..unused.

Belmont..
1 platform, virtually no passengers Use it.

Chessington South..
plat 2.. built 1939.. but no footbridge was ever added

Cheam… 2/3 well so unneeded they never actually built them..just left the gap…still if tfl turn Sutton-Wimbledon into a tram, it could still be built as a terminating platform for Thameslink, or a more useful turnback point for overground instead of West Croydon.

Last edited:

Stopper

A lot of the platforms at Stirling are used for stabling stock. Some have water and power laid on. The only platforms not signalled for passenger use are the north facing bays Platforms 4 & 5.

Stirling is a pretty good example of why you shouldn’t get rid of redundant platforms. While all are used for stabling, just over a decade ago (pre-Alloa), only 2, 3 and a bay (usually 7 or 10) were needed in passenger terms. With the Alloa line, 6 came into more regular use. Now post-electrifcation, 9 is in much more regular use and all 3 south facing bays are used at some point daily, mainly 7 of course.

WesternBiker

Well RTT for today has trains alternating platforms at Alton, because they are at the station for about 35 mins between arrival and departure. I think that’s been the case for many years.
It has, as I can attest by recent experience - I left my phone on a train destined for Alton once, and (after persuading my other half to "follow that train") went through the train on one platform - only for the train I had been travelling on, to arrive shortly after on the other platform! (At least I found my phone, happily charging and minding its own business.)

On a separate thought, Eastbourne shows what a terminus can deliver with just 3 platforms, even with lots of timetabled service reversals. Not a lot of scope when things go wrong, though.

Last edited:

gazr

Clapham Junction..
Plat 16/17 are hardly stretched.. you could eliminate the new p1 and 2 easily enough and wrap into p16/17.

Battersea Park ..
plat 1 gone, plat 2 twice a day.

Tattenham Corner..

Norwood Junction..
plat 2 out of use

Purley / Purley Oaks

Caterham

Belmont..
1 platform, virtually no passengers Use it.

Chessington South..
plat 2.. built 1939.. but no footbridge was ever added

Cheam… 2/3 well so unneeded they never actually built them..just left the gap…still if tfl turn Sutton-Wimbledon into a tram, it could still be built as a terminating platform for Thameslink, or a more useful turnback point for overground instead of West Croydon.

Purley and Purley Oaks P1/2 see use during engineering (usually early Sunday morning). I arrived at Purley Oaks P2 and had a time exiting the platform with all the gates closed. Duly did P1 at the same time. Wandsworth Road Common fast line platforms (3/4) are hard ones to do... of course, it was available during lockdown when no-one without a valid reason could travel. Still require them for use.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Huntingdon P1 is not used, and NR are going to remove the crossover used for shunting from the UM @ South Junction.
Makes sense, given that southbound access can be achieved via P2.

MotCO

Established Member
It actually has a regular half-hourly service to P2. CHX-SEV stoppers use P2 at HGR & P3 at GRP before crossing over to the Down Slow

On the other hand, I don't think Chislehurst has any callers on platform 1 and 2. Indeed, platform 1 apparently (according to National Rail) that there are no display boards on the platform.

I once was deposited on Chislehurst platform 2 after my first stop Chelsfield train had to be diverted via Bat & Ball due to an incident at Orpington, but that was rare.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Clapham Junction..
But you cannot run the SLL overground service into P16/17.

nr758123

As with all of the other stations on the route, you will see step free access added at Marsden as part of the electrification programme. So the current position is only 'temporary' (for maybe another 5 or 10 years!).
In a sane world that's what ought to happen, and for several years not only was it assumed it would happen but West Yorkshire Combined Authority were told that Marsden would not be considered for Access For All funding bids because it would be sorted as part of TRU. As long ago as 2012 the then MP was highlighting this in his glossy newsletter to constituents as one of the good things that would be happening on his watch.

In Summer 2019 WYCA were told that TRU would not provide step-free access at Marsden station, much to the annoyance of local councillors who had previously been led to believe it was a done deal. WYCA were then allowed to submit a bid for Access For All funding, which they did. The bid was unsuccessful.

More recently it seems that TRU might after all include provision of step-free access at Marsden, but that's not a certainty.

On the other hand, I don't think Chislehurst has any callers on platform 1 and 2. Indeed, platform 1 apparently (according to National Rail) that there are no display boards on the platform.

I once was deposited on Chislehurst platform 2 after my first stop Chelsfield train had to be diverted via Bat & Ball due to an incident at Orpington, but that was rare.
CIT P1/2 used quite regularly (at some points almost every weekend) whenever ORP-SEV and/or SEV-TON are shut, and have used them myself a lot in times of delays/track circuit issues etc. Elmstead Woods would be more of a candidate to lose P1/2 as it's not a junction station

tomsy47

Platform 5 at West Drayton was rebuilt recently but I've never seen any service use it to date. No idea if it's to be used more regularly in the future or whether it was just built for extra resilience in the event of disruption.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Platform 5 at West Drayton was rebuilt recently but I've never seen any service use it to date. No idea if it's to be used more regularly in the future or whether it was just built for extra resilience in the event of disruption.
It was reported in use in the 345 thread back in early July. Originally it was going to be the normal up platform with terminating trains reversing in P4, but that has been overtaken by subsequent changes to Crossrail service patterns.

d9009alycidon

The second platform at Stranraer has long been out of use and despite the signalling and track for the two platforms and centre roads still being in place it is effectively used as a single track terminus. Even when a special reaches the station it runs top and tail from Ayr (as happened with the 50s at the weekend) and is scheduled to cross the service train at Dunragit

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The second platform at Stranraer has long been out of use and despite the signalling and track for the two platforms and centre roads still being in place it is effectively used as a single track terminus. Even when a special reaches the station it runs top and tail from Ayr (as happened with the 50s at the weekend) and is scheduled to cross the service train at Dunragit
Locos at both ends of the train? :s

Kite159

Veteran Member

I can recall seeing that platform being in use last year/2019 on a steam charter (one of the multiday tours)

Sunset route

I guess platform 1 at Preston park is a bit pointless. It's used for turnback of west coast way units into lovers walk, but as a passenger platform it's not really important. Everything goes north from platform 1 and 2 and the timetable doesn't seem too tight to get away with just platform 2 north and 3 south.

I think at one point many years ago preston park actually had 4 platforms, 2 up and 2 down. I guess the second up platform was retained for units going north from the west coast way, but with a bit of fiddling with the timetable I'm sure you could do with 2 plats like Hassocks and the rest of the station's up to HHE

believe me platform 1 at Preston Park is very much needed and used for passenger services.

Wandsworth Common, Balham, Streatham Common, Norbury & Thornton Heath P3 & P4. Nothing ever calls on these platforms (I believe) as they're on the fast lines used by GX and SN, which only stop at CLJ and ECR. Out of curiosity, when was the last time those platforms saw regular use?

They get used when there is weekend engineering work (usually on Sunday’s) when the slow lines are closed.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
believe me platform 1 at Preston Park is very much needed and used for passenger services.

On a recent evening journey from Brighton to London, we pulled into P1 at Preston Park - much to my surprise, since I hadn't noticed the crossing movement, and anyway I assumed it was only for reversals (as mentioned), and/or for West Coastway trains with slack time after Hove to briefly keep out of the way of ex-Brighton services (or to allow interchange with a faster northbound ex-Brighton service perhaps - though I don't know whether that interconnection ever happens?). Or maybe for a West Coastway northbound to allow interchange with a southbound to Brighton [which might currently be useful, given that the Hove-Brighton services seems to have suddenly become a fraction of their normal self ... what on earth's going on there?], while keeping out of the way of a fast northbound ex-Brighton in the process.

We sat at Preston Park for just a couple of minutes, during which time a northbound rushed past on the adjacent platform - yet I'm sure there wasn't an immediately following northbound from Brighton on the indicators when I took the train I did, otherwise I'd have been on it instead. Most strange.

Sunset route

Tattenham Corner..

Norwood Junction..
plat 2 out of use

Purley / Purley Oaks

Caterham

Platform 3 is used for stabling trains overnight.

Platform 7 at Norwood Junction is an unused siding with most of the signalling for signed out of use.

Platforms 1&2 at Purley are used most days for stoping services.

Platforms 1&2 at Purley Oaks are used during weekend engineering works or during times of disruption.

Caterham Both platforms are in full use especially Saturdays when both are used in parallel where the inward 1Pxx arrives before the outward 2Jxx departs, as well as overnight stabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.