• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with unbalanced services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTrain

I was looking at Realtime Trains, and discovered that Dore & Totley, fairly near me, has 27 trains a day eastbound and only 18 per day westbound in the new timetable - that's 50% more trains in one direction than the other. I was wondering if there were other stations around (before anyone says it, not Pilning ;)) that have such an unbalanced service, there must be some?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Ponders End's peak service is imbalanced - 5tph southbound in the morning peak, but only 2tph northbound in the evening peak (same as the off peak service)

vlad

Longport has a couple of trains to Manchester in the morning but no corresponding return service.

_toommm_

Established Member
Rotherham - all 3ph of the services from Sheffield arrive within 30 mins of each other (xx:18, xx:28, xx:42) leaving a half an hour gap.

Similarly, back to Sheffield it's xx:28, xx:44 and xx:58, leaving another half hour gap.

Alex Smith

M-F Corby has 2 Northbound a day, Derby AM and Melton Mowbray PM compared to 18 Southbound services to Kettering and London St Pancras

Statto

Established Member
Newton Le Willows before the timetable change, westbound you had 3 services within 15 minutes then 45 minutes for the next service, you had the;
xx10 Manchester Airport-Llandudno
xx17 Manchester Airport-Liverpool
xx23 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool

jimm

Established Member
Shipton on the Cotswold Line - two trains towards Oxford (one in the morning peak and one at 18.26) and three towards Worcester (all three call after 18.00) on weekdays - though the Saturday service is four trains in each direction...

Parallel

Established Member
Newton St. Cyres has 3 northbound trains a day and 4 southbound. The first northbound train also isn’t until after 18.00 (!!)

Parallel

Established Member
With the pub open all day you would have thought an earlier train would be used
I think the whole line is a bit of a mess to be honest. Obviously GWR not keen to run all shacks service due to tight turnaround at Barnstaple. As a result, you end up with stations with a very limited service (Chapelton, Portsmouth Arms), stations that get some sort of commuter service (Lapford). Stations that get a commuter service and then a random stop in the afternoon (Kings Nympton) and then Newton St Cyres that gets a limited southbound commuting service. All other stations on the line get all trains stopping M-S (approx hourly). As the line is also marketed for walkers and/or tourists, it’s not the most user friendly line...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think the whole line is a bit of a mess to be honest. Obviously GWR not keen to run all shacks service due to tight turnaround at Barnstaple. As a result, you end up with stations with a very limited service (Chapelton, Portsmouth Arms), stations that get some sort of commuter service (Lapford). Stations that get a commuter service and then a random stop in the afternoon (Kings Nympton) and then Newton St Cyres that gets a limited southbound commuting service. All other stations on the line get all trains stopping M-S (approx hourly). As the line is also marketed for walkers and/or tourists, it’s not the most user friendly line...

The 'problem' is that the two crossing loops are too close together for an hourly service. Trains essentially have to waste time between the two (so call everywhere), then shoot up to Barnstaple and back quickly (so miss them out on that section.

A Challenge

Established Member
Valley (11E/9W), Rhosneigr, Ty Croes and Bodorgan (10E/9W) and Llanfairpwll (12E/9W)

Always 9 to Holyhead, but different numbers depending on the station (and none of them 9) eastbound!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Here's a few that I know of with unbalanced services.

Broomfleet - one service to York ar around seven in t'morning. Nowt to Hull.
Tees-side Airport - one service to Darlington. Nowt to Saltburn.
Whitley Bridge, Hensall, Snaith and Rawcliffe - two services to Leeds, one to Goole.
Melksham - (on Sundays) six to Westbury but seven to Westbury, could have changed.

Market Rasen recieves an unbalanced service with five one way and seven the other, I could be wrong its five services to Grimsby but seven to Lincoln.

Spoorslag '70

The best I can come up for a station with trains in both directions:
Leeuwaarden Achter de Hoven (NL)
M-F
1t/d to Leeuwaarden (~08.00)
2t/d to Groningen (~16.30&17.30)
Sa&Su no service

For stations with services in one direction, we might want to find the single terminus with the most departures.... London Waterloo and London Victoria should be pretty high (tons of services down, no services up).

transmanche

Established Member
For stations with services in one direction, we might want to find the single terminus with the most departures.... London Waterloo and London Victoria should be pretty high (tons of services down, no services up).
Ah, but does a Waterloo-Waterloo via Kingston service count as 'down' or 'up'? ;)

js1000

Newton Le Willows before the timetable change, westbound you had 3 services within 15 minutes then 45 minutes for the next service, you had the;
xx10 Manchester Airport-Llandudno
xx17 Manchester Airport-Liverpool
xx23 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool
Whereas at Mauldeth Road we had 2 trains per hour at xx00 & xx30 before the new timetable. Now they are at xx00 and x13 leaving 47 minute gap.

It's a waste of a train if you ask me. May as well become hourly, longer train & release another path to Manchester Airport. The DfT are so rigid in their TSR requirements it's frustrating for both TOCs and passengers alike.

Killingworth

Established Member
I was looking at Realtime Trains, and discovered that Dore & Totley, fairly near me, has 27 trains a day eastbound and only 18 per day westbound in the new timetable - that's 50% more trains in one direction than the other. I was wondering if there were other stations around (before anyone says it, not Pilning ;)) that have such an unbalanced service, there must be some?

The result of this imbalance is that twice as many commute the 40 miles towards Manchester from Dore & Totley as the 4 miles into Sheffield. In the evenings there is a stopping Northern and fast TP service each hour from Manchester. From Sheffield there is a basic hourly service by Northern, but one gap is as long as 2 hours 33 minutes. Taxis are used a lot. The rail service takes 7 minutes into Sheffield and is cheaper than the bus which takes 25 minutes.

duffield

Established Member
Nottingham to Bournemouth: has an infinitely large ratio (1/0) of trains to Bournemouth vs from Bournemouth. :E

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Rotherham - all 3ph of the services from Sheffield arrive within 30 mins of each other (xx:18, xx:28, xx:42) leaving a half an hour gap.

Similarly, back to Sheffield it's xx:28, xx:44 and xx:58, leaving another half hour gap.
That isn’t misbalanced in the context of the original question. More like irregular.

_toommm_

Established Member
The result of this imbalance is that twice as many commute the 40 miles towards Manchester from Dore & Totley as the 4 miles into Sheffield. In the evenings there is a stopping Northern and fast TP service each hour from Manchester. From Sheffield there is a basic hourly service by Northern, but one gap is as long as 2 hours 33 minutes. Taxis are used a lot. The rail service takes 7 minutes into Sheffield and is cheaper than the bus which takes 25 minutes.

The 97/98 buses are every 10 minutes though and are probably a comparable price, plus they drop you in the city centre. So while your claim may be true about commuting to Sheffield by train, commuting as a whole to Sheffield maybe not so.

Status
Not open for further replies.