• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Statues at railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
I thought there might be some website listing all of these, but I cant find anything on google....

Anyway, I always enjoy seeing statues on my travels. I often travel around the country without leaving the railway or stations, so statues are always interesting to take selfies in front of!

So could we have a list of all statues either inside, or just outside stations.

Start with London Paddington, where we have the great IK Brunel, and also Paddington Bear of course

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There's a bronze statue of 'Ruswarp' (the border collie dog) on the Southbound platform at Garsdale station on the Settle and Carlisle line.

The actual dog belonged to the late Graham Nuttall, who played a prominent role in the campaign to save the Settle and Carlisle Railway in the 1980's.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Not exactly a statue, and not in Britain, but I just wanted to mention that in 1972, artist Dieter Meier installed a commemorative plaque at the railway station in Kassel, Germany, which read: "On 23 March 1994, from 3 to 4 pm, Dieter Meier will stand on this plaque". He honored the promise 22 years later.

mrcheek

Established Member
Not exactly a statue, and not in Britain, but I just wanted to mention that in 1972, artist Dieter Meier installed a commemorative plaque at the railway station in Kassel, Germany, which read: "On 23 March 1994, from 3 to 4 pm, Dieter Meier will stand on this plaque". He honored the promise 22 years later.

If you tried that in this country you can guarantee your train would be late on the all important day.......

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe there's now a line of (seven?) injured / blinded WW1 soldier statues, located just outside one of the main entrances at Manchester Piccadilly station.

Manchester Piccadilly.jpg

(Photo source: Manchester Evening News group).

peri

Philip Larkin at Hull with the first lines of "The Whitsun Weddings" engraved below, the closing lines are at Kings Cross.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Harold Wilson at Huddersfield.
Yes. Perfectly posed, having turned his back on the railway. Remember the "no major closures" manifesto pledge and cancelling the Channel Tunnel after building had started?

George Stephenson and Matthew Flinders at Euston. (Both have moved about a bit. Flinders has a cat with him and appears to be studying a map of Australia so that he can get as far away from the famous 'scrum' as possible.)

Two Kindertransport memorial statues at Liverpool Street.

Sir Nicholas Winton (organiser of the Kindertransport) statue at Maidenhead.

There was a Terence Cuneo statue at Waterloo but not sure if it's still there.

There are three statues on the platforms at Brixton (one essentially inaccessible).

Another George Stephenson statue at Chesterfield.

There is a 'steel fish' statue/art installation outside Sheffield station.

Established Member
The Kindertransport memorial at Liverpool Street
The large one outside McDonalds, and a smaller one on the concourse by the entrance to the tube.

There are also Kindertansport statues on platform 1 at Prague main station, outside Friedrichstraße Station in Berlin and at Vienna Westbahnhof.

Plus of course the statue of the main man Sir Nicholas Winton on platform 3 at Maidenhead mentioned above.

Ken H

On Moderation
Its a snip from a bigger image, but there are these toys in the niches at Settle. Used to be just 1 (1980), but I think 3 now!
I was told the original one used to sit on a signal post somewhere.
Statues? Maybe!!!
1654971329120.png

Ken H

On Moderation
Where is Doddy now? The last time I went to Liverpool he wasn't where I had previously seen him. Presumably he was moved during the works.
maybe the HMRC have melted it down to pay his tax bill!!!

Western Sunset

Established Member
There's an old industrial steam loco outside Stratford (London). Also the old underground tube cars perched on a disused viaduct near Shoreditch. Do these count as "statues"? Also the Harry Potter luggage trolley at KX...

D6975

Established Member
Found a story in the Liverpool Echo, Doddy was removed during the works and reinstalled in March 2018. I must have last been there in 2017.

ps there's a statue of George Hudson just down from York station on Leeman Road.

D821

Where is Doddy now? The last time I went to Liverpool he wasn't where I had previously seen him. Presumably he was moved during the works.
Should be back there, was removed during the works and put back in 2018.

THC

There's a statue of Brother Walfrid, the founder of Celtic Football Club, in the car park at Ballymote station in county Sligo, from whence he (hail) hailed.

THC

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1654974997798.jpg
    FB_IMG_1654974997798.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 12

Established Member
He was there in March this year, on the concourse by the main exit.

Trackman

Established Member
Euston:
Explorer Captain Matthew Flinders and his cat 'Trim' who sailed with him.
He gave Australia its name.
His coffin and remains were found when building HS2 at Euston, they found it and identified it as his coffin lead breast plate was still intact.
--
The Robert Stephenson statue at Euston was removed a few years because of HS2, I assume he will return.

Attachments

• euston.jpg
    euston.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.