• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Steepest Gradient in a Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTrain

Following on from the curviest platforms, I was wondering what the steepest gradient in a station is. I think we'd better have two categories, one for National Rail Network and one for light rail/metro etc.

I'd imagine some of the Scottish stations must be fairly high up on National Rail network, as for other systems, I'd imagine Netherthorpe Road on the Supertram must be a contender?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Following on from the curviest platforms, I was wondering what the steepest gradient in a station is. I think we'd better have two categories, one for National Rail Network and one for light rail/metro etc.

I'd imagine some of the Scottish stations must be fairly high up on National Rail network, as for other systems, I'd imagine Netherthorpe Road on the Supertram must be a contender?
City Thameslink?

bramling

Veteran Member

Unlikely to win any awards, however West Finchley on the Northern Line is steep enough to need a small amount of skill when starting and stopping - 1 in 85.

Oval northbound is partly on a 1 in 76 rise, which abruptly levels off halfway along the platform. The ATO has struggled to cope with this and still does to this day.

Finsbury Park WB Piccadilly Line has 1 in 49 rise and 1 in 48 fall at opposite ends of the platform.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Lemonnier pre metro tram stop in brussels (near Gare du midi) is steep. well one end is, its like a ski jump

iu

mervyn72

Not sure how steep but Meadowhall platform 4 seems to be on an incline and also quite curved. It might be me but Pacers seem to have to work hard to get away

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's a report somewhere on the RSSB website listing stations on significant gradients. But you probably need a login to read it.

Veteran Member
Cowlairs incline on the approach to Glasgow Queen Street is steeper (1 in 44?).
But the platforms are level.
Portsmouth and Southsea HL is on a noticeable gradient, and ISTR Crewkerne is another. Not sure of details though.

SteveyBee131

Birley Lane tram stop in Sheffield, on the way to Halfway. Trams heading out of the city use the sanders alot to help them stop on the steep downhill gradient.

TheEdge

Established Member
Although its unlikely to be high on the list someone here might know. Wickham Market has a fairly steep gradient (I think) in the platform but its not that obvious due to the surrounding contours. I know stopping in the up direction is significantly easier and quicker than in the down.

Parallel

Established Member
Dingle Road is also fairly steep - I remember that if there was a single Pacer operating, it would run straight through and stop as normal on the way back towards Cardiff.

Freshford doesn’t have the steepest gradient but you can hear some trains struggle sometimes when departing the station!

DanTrain

When the bay was added at Dalmuir Park, they had to get a derogation because it was steeper than 1 in 200.
Aren’t quite a lot of the West Highland/Far North/Kyle Line stations steeper than that though, or do they have derogations too?

InOban

Established Member
I'm certain that gradient profiles are available on-line, but of course grandfather rights applied to preexisting stations.

RLBH

Aren’t quite a lot of the West Highland/Far North/Kyle Line stations steeper than that though, or do they have derogations too?
I believe they're all fairly level stations, no more than about 1 in 300. Presumably when the investors were already forking out for so much civil engineering work, a couple more shovelfuls to flatten out the stations was neither here nor there.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Pontypridd is on a 1:60 gradient which made certification for the new bay platform rather difficult.

Steamysandy

On a gradient diagram North Berwick is shown as ending on the level but on site there is a definite rise which is the bottom end of a 1 in 65 approach.
There have over the years been a number of over shoots - known as learning the road to the Bass Rock!!

stut

Established Member
If we're headed abroad (as others have), the Lausanne Metro line m2, formerly a rack railway, has some incredibly steep platforms, particularly at Lausanne-Gare.

Status
Not open for further replies.