• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Things you saw travelling on BR that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbwbear

Wasn't there also something called Goldenrail Holidays advertised at the older generation?

Golden Rail Holidays were railway package tours mainly for the domestic uk market. They included train fares, taxi fares and a hotel. They were not specifically aimed at older people - the golden part of the name was a reference to golden beaches or golden sun I think. The logo was a kind of sun formed from a circle of BR logos.

I have fond memories of a Golden Rail holiday to Cornwall in 1974.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midlandman

Only just found this, but here goes: Those horribly cheap looking paper stickers on windows that gave you the destination, instead of the wooden boards above the windows (last train I saw with these was The Poole to York/Leeds in the 70s, the front 8 coaches going south had "Poole Bournemouth Birmingham York" the rear 4 "Poole Bournemouth Birmingham Leeds". Must have been one of the last stock sets in the country that did nothing else, so no need to change them).
The bell that used to relay the right away at Newcastle Central, there being, in the 1970s, no RA indication (or similar) on the starting signal. Presumably because it had to be loud enough to be heard above a Deltic, you didn't want to stand too close to it.
Steam push-pull trains. Our local one ran from Tutbury to Burton to connect with the (then new) DMUs on the Derby-Crewe service. The engine pulled the two trailers in one direction and pushed them in the other with the driver in the cab of the front trailer. One of the trailers had a first class compartment that had the only lavatory in the set connected with it. Once, on a return from a trip to, I think, North Wales, I had a case of what Dame Edna once referred to as "intestinal hurry" and we had to excess from Tutbury just in case!

Lots of people have mentioned depot Open Days - I remember the 1967 Derby one. Star attraction was 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" but I wandered round the back and found all 5 (3 ex Southern, 2 ex LMS) pioneer main line diesels waiting for scrapping. One at least should have been preserved but in those days all anyone could think about was the end of steam.

snowball

Established Member
Golden Rail Holidays were railway package tours mainly for the domestic uk market. They included train fares, taxi fares and a hotel. They were not specifically aimed at older people - the golden part of the name was a reference to golden beaches or golden sun I think. The logo was a kind of sun formed from a circle of BR logos.
If I remember correctly their adverts usually (or always) featured older couples.

InOban

Established Member
Only just found this, but here goes: Those horribly cheap looking paper stickers on windows that gave you the destination, instead of the wooden boards above the windows (last train I saw with these was The Poole to York/Leeds in the 70s, the front 8 coaches going south had "Poole Bournemouth Birmingham York" the rear 4 "Poole Bournemouth Birmingham Leeds". Must have been one of the last stock sets in the country that did nothing else, so no need to change them).
The bell that used to relay the right away at Newcastle Central, there being, in the 1970s, no RA indication (or similar) on the starting signal. Presumably because it had to be loud enough to be heard above a Deltic, you didn't want to stand too close to it.
Steam push-pull trains. Our local one ran from Tutbury to Burton to connect with the (then new) DMUs on the Derby-Crewe service. The engine pulled the two trailers in one direction and pushed them in the other with the driver in the cab of the front trailer. One of the trailers had a first class compartment that had the only lavatory in the set connected with it. Once, on a return from a trip to, I think, North Wales, I had a case of what Dame Edna once referred to as "intestinal hurry" and we had to excess from Tutbury just in case!

Lots of people have mentioned depot Open Days - I remember the 1967 Derby one. Star attraction was 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" but I wandered round the back and found all 5 (3 ex Southern, 2 ex LMS) pioneer main line diesels waiting for scrapping. One at least should have been preserved but in those days all anyone could think about was the end of steam.
These paper stickers are still in use on the WHL, and I expect on some other rural lines in Scotland.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Did anyone else here buy a child's ticket made from an adult ticket cut across at an angle? This was when there wasn't a child's ticket for a certain journey available in the station's ticket office. This happened to me at North Sheen when I was a kid back in the 1960s; the booking clerk found an adult ticket, and snipped it across with scissors.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Er, the thread is entitled: Things you saw travelling on BR that you don't see today

Carlisle

Established Member
If I remember correctly their adverts usually (or always) featured older couples.
Was that also SAGA holidays ?, as I can recall a fair number of station posters promoting them too.

Last edited:

tbwbear

You can find the 1972 GR brochure on google images. That one features a young looking couple (on a boat) on the cover.

Not sure about the posters though ? I think BR were trying to "aim" the thing at the package tourists who had started going to Spain rather than the OAP's though.

Am I wrong in recalling that there were sometimes Golden Rail stickers on the coach windows where the seats had been reserved?

DavidGrain

Established Member
Did anyone else here buy a child's ticket made from an adult ticket cut across at an angle? This was when there wasn't a child's ticket for a certain journey available in the station's ticket office. This happened to me at North Sheen when I was a kid back in the 1960s; the booking clerk found an adult ticket, and snipped it across with scissors.

Yes I regularly had half a ticket as a child, They were always single tickets. I never had half a return ticket. I don't remember them cut at an angle, mine were always cut straight across. Presumably as the hald that was kept could not go back in the rack, these were cancelled and kept to account for the shortage in fare money collected rather than issued to another child.

brel york

To stop this thread: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151941

Getting cluttered with trivia i thought we should have a new thread about memories of travelling with BR and things we saw then that we don't see now.

I will start with one: No journey was complete without a gang of jocks seeing how much export/best they could drink between London & Scotland ( WCML seemed bad for it!) . Some of the empty can piles resembled modern art!

(BTW when i was a kid i thought you only got four types of beer: McEwans/Broon/Vaux/Exhibition)

You don't see that these days.
I have vivid memories of spotting at york station in the 1970s and a southbound train pulled in , empty cans stacked up in the windows

RichJF

The solari destination board at Victoria station. Vividly remember trains to Brighton & Dover flicking up on the board
Class 47 container trains on the Tonbridge line
The loud bell at Redhill when a train came off the Reading line
Red trolleys & postal lifts/bridges at large stations

DavidGrain

Established Member
Royal Mail tugs pulling lines of trailers up the ramps onto the platforms at Birmingham New Street out of the tunnels from the sorting offices.

AY1975

Established Member
Foot pedal operated toilets on trains. I think all Mark 3 coaches and most Mark 2s (or at least Mark 2 air-conditioned coaches) had them when built, but now I think only Mark 3 sleeping cars still have them. Presumably they proved unreliable, so they were later replaced by the time-honoured lever operated flushes. On most trains built since the 1990s you press a button to flush the toilet.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Foot pedal operated toilets on trains. I think all Mark 3 coaches and most Mark 2s (or at least Mark 2 air-conditioned coaches) had them when built, but now I think only Mark 3 sleeping cars still have them. Presumably they proved unreliable, so they were later replaced by the time-honoured lever operated flushes. On most trains built since the 1990s you press a button to flush the toilet.

The MK2 Serco seated coaches still have them.

The_Engineer

Racing pigeons being sent by passenger train. Gobowen station, near my grandmother's at Oswestry, was a frequent destination for them. I can recall station porters releasing the pigeons and sending the empty baskets back on another train.

RichJF

The MK2 Serco seated coaches still have them.

The unrefurbed Eurostar I travelled on recently had them as well!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Yes I regularly had half a ticket as a child, They were always single tickets. I never had half a return ticket. I don't remember them cut at an angle, mine were always cut straight across. Presumably as the hald that was kept could not go back in the rack, these were cancelled and kept to account for the shortage in fare money collected rather than issued to another child.
My mother used to always ask for a half for me on the bus or at the station - never a child ticket

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Still common in other parts of the world.

Early 60s purchased PT ticket M/c London rd - London issued with LNER ticket think train went to Marylebone.
Guards vans loaded with pigeon baskets carrying pigeons for liberation,Box,s of fish in guards vans for local stations to be collected by local fish shops,Calf's conveyed in guards vans there limbs tied up in hessian so they couldn't walk about,Loaded cattle trains passing thro stations what a stink,Horse boxes conveyed on passenger train services.Gas lamps on station platforms being lit and extinguished.
Water trough's,, Whistle board's, flickering headlights off an express train, glow from firebox from a passing express,oil lit semaphore signals.
Travelling by night passing dimly lit signalboxes,stations closed unlit ghostly.
Being in a signalbox thunder and lightning all around bells ringing as lightning struck the wires outside,a flash of lightning lighting up a passing train being afraid of touchin levers? .......... oh not to forget..................thunder bucket(chemical toilet) paraffin oil lamp for signalbox lighting,oh and when the mantle sooted up? signalbox coal fire blazin on a winters night. Happy days.

Taunton

Established Member
Early 60s purchased PT ticket M/c London rd - London issued with LNER ticket think train went to Marylebone.
Sir John Betjeman wrote he went from South Hampstead to Primrose Hill, first class, in about 1960, and found that not only were the two stations shown as Loudoun Road and Chalk Farm respectively, the names having changed in 1922, but the ticket was headed LNWR.

DavidGrain

Established Member
In the late 1970s I worked for a company where we regularly travelled to London. The company used to purchase in bulk tickets for both Birmingham (for me and others) and Wolverhampton (for my boss) to London. By then for a number of years the only route was New Street to Euston but our tickets were always printed BR (WR) Birmingham Snow Hill or Wolverhamton LL to London Paddington and were priced in shillings and pence

calopez

If dedicated child tickets were not held at a station, the rule was that singles would be cut straight across the middle, and returns would be cut diagonally. Presumably the idea was that the whole half single would be surrendered at the end of the journey, while only the tiny sliver across the halfway mark would need to be given up on completion of the outward journey - though I have no idea if it ever was in practice!

This is why, on traditional Edmonson card single tickets, the journey was repeated in small type on the left and right hand sides of the ticket. If you sold a half ticket, the other half could also be sold - and you always hoped it would be, before the end of the accounting period, as it was much less of a faff than cancelling and accounting for odd halves, especially if odd half-pence were involved too!

Around the late 70s, BR redesigned their Edmonsons so that the journey was only printed once, and left-justified on the ticket. I was dismayed because it meant you could no longer cut them in half for a child ticket - and the alternative was having to write out a paper ticket. Fortunately, I found out that you could still get tickets printed in the old format if you requested it on the order form. As I much preferred the look of the old style tickets, I made sure to order them, even if it wasn't strictly necessary (where we had actual child tickets for a journey, or where the child fare wasn't half the adult). Years later, I happened to meet someone who had worked in the ticket supply section at Crewe. He said, "Ah, so you're the **** who kept ordering old-style tickets!"

Bookd

Ticket related (and this may have been mentioned on another thread) BR Edmonson tickets from Wimbledon Park, Southfields and East Putney to London Underground destinations. The trains were all LU District Line but at that time the track and the ticket offices were BR.

People on platforms getting knocked unconscious by passengers opening the doors of their carriage as it pulled into the station. Saw this happen twice - once at Grays and the other Portsmouth and Southsea!

Edit - Decent bacon sarnies at a reasonable price

calopez

Ticket related (and this may have been mentioned on another thread) BR Edmonson tickets from Wimbledon Park, Southfields and East Putney to London Underground destinations. The trains were all LU District Line but at that time the track and the ticket offices were BR.

Back in the 1980s, NSE used to have a stand at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, which I worked on one year (maybe 1987). We borrowed a spare APTIS from Wimbledon so that we could sell tickets; one of the top sellers was Southfields to Zone U1 - as the manager said, "We own the local tube station"!

Established Member
Racing pigeons being sent by passenger train. Gobowen station, near my grandmother's at Oswestry, was a frequent destination for them. I can recall station porters releasing the pigeons and sending the empty baskets back on another train.

That sounds interesting, I've never heard of that one before!

pitdiver

Scammell Scarabs with their trailers bustling around stations and particularly loaded with suitcases to be delivered to various hotels and boarding houses at resorts like Weymouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.