TRIVIA: Things you saw travelling on the LU that you don't see today

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by AY1975, 16 Nov 2018.

1. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

I suspect there was selective door opening and staff forgot to use it.

Both 59/72 stock on the Northern line and A Stock on the MET had it. Northern line on the front and rear set of doors, operated by either the driver or guard as appropriate, and on the Met just the rear set of doors.

2. 1018509

1018509 Member

Lamp man at South Harrow sidings. His sole job was to maintain the oil lamp put on each end of 6 stabled trains.

3. rogercov

rogercov Member

It's still like that today..... and getting worse!

4. rogercov

rogercov Member

Thanks for sharing that. I remember quite a few things that you refer to.
    Yes, I used to catch this service as a child on a "Twin Rover" ticket around 1960. Some services ran non-stop from Finchley Road to Moor Park. The Rover ticket worked as far as Rickmansworth so I've watched the loco changeover there too.

Yes, a few of the Watford services terminated at Moorgate, but most ran through to Aldgate.

These were steam when I first remember them. They must have been replaced by diesels around 1960/61.

Quite a regular occurrence. I remember being on the Met/Circle Westbound platform at Kings Cross St. Pancras in 1960 when one came through. It was hauled by a Western Region pannier tank. I presume it was running through to the Main Line at Paddington.

There was a locomotive siding just outside Farringdon at the North end of the Widened Lines platform. I'm sure I've seen a steam loco there.

5. rogercov

rogercov Member

I guess many of us remember all 4 platforms being in use at South Kensington and Gloucester Road.
    This allowed some trains to run non-stop through these stations. Does anyone remember them?
    The enamel destination signs with the illuminated arrows had an extra panel with black writing on a yellow background saying "Not stopping at South Kensington and Gloucester Road".
    These panels were eventually painted over in blue, but at Earls Court, you could still make out the writing underneath for many years after these services stopped.
    Here's a scan of one of my colour slides of South Kensington in 1961 when all platforms were in use (apologies for the quality).
    South Kensington 1.jpg

6. bionic

bionic Member

Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

7. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

That was a forgotten memory on my part, not being usually on this part of the Underground as a child or teenager, but I did see them.

8. Dstock7080

Dstock7080 Established Member

Centre bay platform already out of use in that great photo

9. rogercov

rogercov Member

Thanks
    I hadn't realised that there was a track where the flowerbeds are, but it's obvious now, and I've seen it on the large scale OS map:
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102900916
    There is also a siding on the South side which I'm sure I remember.
    I'm now trying to think whether I remember the bay platform. I probably saw it (or the remains of it) as a child when my parents took me to the Science Museum.
    Wikipedia says that they stopped using the bay platform in 1957. Does anyone know when they filled it in? Were there walkways across it before they filled it in?

10. AY1975

AY1975 Member

I also seem to recall that Waterloo Tube station had that system.

11. trebor79

trebor79 Member

Bank still has similar lights for those entering or exiting the tube network there. That place is a really confusing rabbit warren.

12. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

13. nlogax

nlogax Established Member

14. Lucan

Lucan Member