TRIVIA: Things you saw travelling on the LU that you don't see today

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by AY1975, 16 Nov 2018.

1. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

Is that gone?! Haven't been there for ages...

2. stut

stut Established Member

Sounds about right. I didn't know the area very well in those days - I just remember trying to navigate my way through the confusing tunnels trying to get from Aldgate to Brick Lane!

(I ended up working - in a now demolished building - in Aldgate, for 4 years. The centre had gone by then, and, with the change to the gyratory, the subways were largely unused. Looked very different. Even more different now.)

3. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Thank you; I've had that as an earworm ever since you posted that!

4. trebor79

trebor79 Established Member

Sorry about that! Such an evocative sound though, I wonder if there's a recording of it anywhere?

5. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Don't be too sorry; it's quite a nice earworm as earworms go.

I did actually put three laughing smileys in my post but they haven't shown up. Seems to be an Android thing...

6. heart-of-wessex

heart-of-wessex Established Member

I did like the 1992 stock in NSE livery on the W&C, I do miss that it looked rather smart IMO.

Another one, not a sight as such, was the emergency brake being applied sometimes on the Victoria Line 1967TS when the ATO would nearly overshoot the platform (I believe? Not sure how it happened but wasn't at every stop, the times I went on it, it would happen now and again at at least one stop)

7. 181

181 Member

Is this the sound you mean?

8. bramling

bramling Established Member

The issue with the 67 stock wasn’t so much overshooting the platform but as ever the need to align accurately with the OPO mirrors/monitors, which in some cases required a very accurate stop to allow the driver to obtain the required view. The 67 stock setup of ATO combined with their course braking system simply wasn’t perfect enough to always achieve this unaided.

Actual overshoots were rare in later days, with the setup having received two upgrades of the braking system in their lifetime, the “new auto driver boxes” and more latterly the “replacement auto driver boxes” which provided a great improvement over the original braking setup. However little can counter the traditional issue of rheostatic braking transitioning to friction braking in the final moments of a stop, even on modern trains this can be inconsistent, and not ideal if aligning with a precisely-angled mirror! Not so much a problem when a train is being driven by a driver as he will generally get a feel for how the individual train behaves, which the Victoria Line ATO system couldn’t do!

9. Bungle158

Bungle158 Member

First Class tickets on the Met and District Lines

10. AY1975

AY1975 Member

For a few weeks in about 1984 London Underground produced a one-off (at least AFAIK it was a one-off) children's magazine/comic type publication called the Funderground comic, available from LU ticket offices.

It contained a number of puzzles, interesting facts about the Underground, and a comic strip of a young couple exploring London by Underground who catch sight of a headline in a passenger's newspaper about a spy who is believed to be in London, then they spot him in Madame Tussauds and follow him back to Baker Street station. There they overhear him asking for a single to Victoria, and he takes the Circle Line but rather than follow him they take the Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus then the Victoria Line so that they get there before him, then they report him to the police and sure enough they manage to catch him.

Such a chase today would be more difficult, because if he was using an Oyster or contactless card, no-one could tell where he was going so all you could do would be to follow him.

11. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The free comic has today been replaced by free tissues placed on seats...

12. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

The mention of Aldgate reminded me of the early days of the D stock and a drunk on the platform banging on the door at Aldgate East rather than pressing the door open button. I can't say that I have seen similar problems with the auto closing on the S stock

13. Tom B

Tom B Established Member

A little leftover thing that I always notice - at Piccadilly Circus, there are signs advising on "How to get to British Rail stations". I'm pretty sure that at least one of the suggested routes is now superseded by something quicker, but annoyingly I can't remember!

14. sprunt

sprunt Member

London Bridge, now quicker to go via Waterloo and the Jubilee Line?

15. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

Given the incredibly lengthy interchange between the Jubilee and anything else at Waterloo, I'm not sure. I'd still stay on the southbound Bakerloo to E&C and nip up the stairs (being in the right Bakerloo carriage of course) to the northbound Northern there.