• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Things you saw travelling on the LU that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
Here is an R stock train at Sloane Square. Of the three cars seen here I suspect that the far left and far right are unpainted aluminium whilst the middle one would originally been painted red but was changed to white (or silver) paint to match the aluminium subsurface trains.

R47_59_49-Unpainteda.jpg

I do like the flared bodysides and the detailing round the window vents. What a nice looking train. Wiki says introduced 1949 but the design must be older - its pure 1930's art deco.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Here is an R stock train at Sloane Square. Of the three cars seen here I suspect that the far left and far right are unpainted aluminium whilst the middle one would originally been painted red but was changed to white (or silver) paint to match the aluminium subsurface trains.

I can't quite read the number on that middle car as the picture won't enlarge like most pictures on this forum, but if you can tell us the number we can easily confirm if it's a repainted car or not.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
People openly drinking alcohol on stations and trains - it was only banned ten years ago.
The town where I live banned open drinking of alcohol on streets and virtually all open space well over ten years ago, and I'd say the 'problem' is far worse now than it was then, so I suppose it's all down to enforcement, CCTV and stopping miscreants travelling. The police here almost always turn a blind eye on the rare occasion when they're seen on the street.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Defacing of the tube map on station walls (doesn't happen now as there is a protective plastic coating over it).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

R49 car, non-driving motor, built by Met-Cam, delivered 18/01/52 and entered service on 10/03/52.

The preceding vehicle off the production line, 23231, was delivered half red half unpainted as a trial but the first car delivered in unpainted "tin can" livery was 23567 on 17/04/52.

So yes, the one in your picture was originally red.

AndrewE

Established Member
Steam goods trains running parallel to the passenger platforms somewhere...

Lrd

Established Member
Can still be done on the Bakerloo stock. The speed sensing allows the driver to drop the deadman in rheo 1 and hold and release the doors under 7mph. Drivers would often pop the doors early if they thought they were going to slide through the CSDE loop. Other times it's just pure laziness and repetition. Above 7mph you'll get an emergency Westinghouse application and the front console door buttons won't work.

I think it can be done on the picc too. None of the newer stock let you do it.
4 mph ;)

Mikey C

Established Member
Opening windows along the sides of the carriages

The D78s were the last trains which had windows you could physically open. I remember well the unusual window opening hinge (on the As, 59s, 62 etc) as they were like normal hopper windows, but hinged up slightly leaving a small opening underneath the open section

I'm not sure the ventilation grilles on the C, 72 and 73 stock were an improvement

infobleep

Veteran Member
"cat flaps" for luggage by the ticket gates

staff wearing peaked hats

smoking carriage

Am I imagining it or did platform dispatch staff use bardic lights in the days before todays' batons

door opening buttons that actually opened the doors
I thought cat flaps still existed at some mainline terminus underground stations.

AY1975

Established Member
"cat flaps" for luggage by the ticket gates

I also seem to recall that the old 1960s/70s automatic ticket barriers (which only took yellow tickets - see my comment above) had a separate passage for luggage with rollers for you to roll your suitcase along.

These days, if you have heavy or bulky luggage you are advised to use the wide gate (which also caters for wheelchair users, people with bikes, and parents with prams).

spinba11

Kings Cross has a manual game but I can’t remember if it has the flaps or not, in fact why has it got a manual gate? I’m on about the north gateline.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I also seem to recall that the old 1960s/70s automatic ticket barriers (which only took yellow tickets - see my comment above) had a separate passage for luggage with rollers for you to roll your suitcase along.

These days, if you have heavy or bulky luggage you are advised to use the wide gate (which also caters for wheelchair users, people with bikes, and parents with prams).
bikes are allowed on the underground?

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm surprised... considering the crush loadings and the danger of injury to other passengers I'd've thought they'd have an outright ban on them

Remember that Underground trains used to be quite empty off-peak - virtually deserted in some areas at certain times.

The ban is mainly with single-line Tube tunnels and in moving escalators. In that sense it’s curious that the Northern City Line forbids unfolded bikes but the Wirral Line doesn’t.

DLR now accept unfolded bikes at certain times - I think that was a mayoral doing.

bramling

Veteran Member
Can still be done on the Bakerloo stock. The speed sensing allows the driver to drop the deadman in rheo 1 and hold and release the doors under 7mph. Drivers would often pop the doors early if they thought they were going to slide through the CSDE loop. Other times it's just pure laziness and repetition. Above 7mph you'll get an emergency Westinghouse application and the front console door buttons won't work.

I think it can be done on the picc too. None of the newer stock let you do it.

The 95 stock used to allow doors to be opened at slow speed, although letting go of the handle at the last minute was never possible. Since the resignalling it’s no longer possible. Still possible on the 09 stock, and indeed happens frequently, and just about possible on the 92 stock too.

Something else not seen so often on LU nowadays is speeding. In times past it was virtually standard practice to get the train “off the clock” at certain locations, for example heading south from High Barnet to Totteridge it was possible to reach over 60 mph, and the Hendon tunnel heading northbound was another good place to get some lively running, although most drivers would take advantage of the tunnel to brake down to a more manageable speed before the open section where there was a signal which tended to remain “on”!

Another thing sadly missed on much of LU is filament lamps in signals. The colours emitted by LEDs are distinctly different, and whilst mostly fit-for-purpose they aren’t as pleasing on the eye IMO.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another thing sadly missed on much of LU is filament lamps in signals. The colours emitted by LEDs are distinctly different, and whilst mostly fit-for-purpose they aren’t as pleasing on the eye IMO.
Which lines are you referring to? LED lamps were only installed at a few locations on the Piccadilly line but were removed completely following a signal failure at Wood Green in September 2015 and replaced with the old-fashioned bulbs. Since then, they were re-installed Manor House -> Turnpike Lane as a trial, but this has been ongoing for quite some time now. The rest of the line doesn't use LEDs.

Shimbleshanks

Remember that Underground trains used to be quite empty off-peak - virtually deserted in some areas at certain times.

The ban is mainly with single-line Tube tunnels and in moving escalators. In that sense it’s curious that the Northern City Line forbids unfolded bikes but the Wirral Line doesn’t.

DLR now accept unfolded bikes at certain times - I think that was a mayoral doing.
Wirral Line has lifts though, most LU stations don't.

Lrd

Established Member
Which lines are you referring to? LED lamps were only installed at a few locations on the Piccadilly line but were removed completely following a signal failure at Wood Green in September 2015 and replaced with the old-fashioned bulbs. Since then, they were re-installed Manor House -> Turnpike Lane as a trial, but this has been ongoing for quite some time now. The rest of the line doesn't use LEDs.
The Bakerloo has a couple of LED signals (LED lamps in original signal head) on trial in the tunnel and the only difference is that they are brighter. The colour is the same.

Ken H

On Moderation
The Bakerloo has a couple of LED signals (LED lamps in original signal head) on trial in the tunnel and the only difference is that they are brighter. The colour is the same.
What possible reason is there for not adopting LED signals? Surely they are more reliable, less maintenance and less energy used.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What possible reason is there for not adopting LED signals? Surely they are more reliable, less maintenance and less energy used.
The LED lamps (sorry I'm not sure if lamp is the right term, I'm not a signals expert!) were attributed as a possible cause of a signal failure. I don't exactly understand or recall the reasons behind it, I seem to remember something about checking/verification of the aspect.
Yes exactly. On lines that still have signals, there are LEDs, but non-LEDs are not uncommon at all.

AY1975

Established Member
Wirral Line has lifts though, most LU stations don't.

More and more LU stations are getting them, though - in fact some deep level stations have always had lifts.

That brings me to something else from yesteryear - lifts with lift operators (who sometimes doubled as ticket collectors) and manually operated doors or gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.