• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Towns which do not deserve the service they get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schweir

Several towns (e.g Crewe) appear to get far more services than the town requires principally due to the station also acts as a major interchange. Which other towns do you think are overserved in terms of services (can just be generally overserved (considering passenger numbers) or due to being an interchange etc...).

Of course this is an arbitrary topic so please justify your answer a little :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite a number of the smaller stations on Merseyrail, e.g. Aughton Park, Town Green, Little Sutton, Overpool and probably most obviously Capenhurst-in-the-Sticks. These are served at quite high frequency simply because Merseyrail is primarily a simple all stations operation (though Capenhurst only gets half the Chester trains).

Manchester Airport, where used as a terminus of convenience. If Picc had 6 platforms facing west I reckon it wouldn't get a number of the Northern services.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tamworth, Macclesfield

Retford

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I hate basing train service provision on population, and it desperately needs obliterating as an argument in its own right for adding, or removing, services to certain places.

With all that said, Barnham does phenomenally well in the context given by the OP. It even has a traincrew depot for good measure!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I hate basing train service provision on population, and it desperately needs obliterating as an argument in its own right for adding, or removing, services to certain places.

I would agree with that as things like easy access to motorways that improves accessibility to the rail network are important factors e.g. Parkway stations.

Megafuss

Controversial, but I say Ely. I accept it is more down to geography, but Bury St Edmunds is twice as big and has less than half the service.

gnolife

Established Member
Corrour, Falls of Cruachan, Loch Eil OB and Locheilside all do remarkably well in terms of service relative to population, if I'm not mistaken, none of them have a house within a mile.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Dovey Junction doesn't do too badly for a station that serves virtually zero population and, apparently, has about 12 entries/exits per day ;)

higthomas

A lot of the sorts of places that are gonna get a worse service after HS2 and be up in arms about it. Stoke, Coventry, Stafford etc.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Epping, with a population of less than 12000 has a very frequent service 7 days a week on the Central Line

tbtc

Veteran Member
I hate basing train service provision on population, and it desperately needs obliterating as an argument in its own right for adding, or removing, services to certain places

I agree that "population" can be a frustrating tool to use in debates about the level of service that a place should receive (especially as some places have artificially lower/higher populations due to municipal boundaries, some places act as "rail heads" for larger areas etc - so Bradford looks important because the population numbers include Ilkley/ Keighley etc whilst somewhere like Alfreton can look small but is the long distance station for the much larger Mansfield).

(and, in many cases, it makes more sense to stop every train on an hourly frequency at each station rather than have an "every four hours for some stations, every three hours for some stations, every two hours for other stations" approach - sometimes simplicity is worth over-provision - especially as you then get into the complicated issue of whether doubling back should be permitted if not all intermediate stations are served on each service etc)

But (putting population to one side) it'd be interesting to compare the number of services stopping at a station each year with the annual passenger numbers at that station to see which stations are under/over-served in terms of services stopping there.

For example, I worked out on the back of an envelope that Manchester Airport received around thirty three passengers departing on each service that stopped there - that sounds like a low number (compared to the length of trains stopping there) but maybe that's quite high compared to most stations - I don't know how easy it'd be to fiddle around with the data (e.g. on Real Train Times) and compare it to the widely available annual passenger stats - if anyone has a fag packet to do the calculations on?

coppercapped

Established Member
I agree that "population" can be a frustrating tool to use in debates about the level of service that a place should receive ...

SNIP

For example, I worked out on the back of an envelope that Manchester Airport received around thirty three passengers departing on each service that stopped there - that sounds like a low number (compared to the length of trains stopping there) but maybe that's quite high compared to most stations - I don't know how easy it'd be to fiddle around with the data (e.g. on Real Train Times) and compare it to the widely available annual passenger stats - if anyone has a fag packet to do the calculations on?
Sorry, can't help...don't smoke! 8-) :)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Stoke Gifford yet.

Although it is (I believe) a church parish in the southern extremity of Gloucestershire, Bristol Parkway station is close to the motorway and also provides interchange between the London trains and the Intercity Crosscountry network as well as local trains to Filton Abbey Wood and various Avon and Somerset destinations.

Mikey C

Established Member
Beckton on the DLR

That branch is still comparatively lightly used other than by ExCel visitors, and very quiet when you get to the final station

Mugby

Established Member
Corby has been lucky to get it's hourly service to London. I imagine some departures carry only penny numbers of pax.

dk1

Veteran Member
Corby has been lucky to get it's hourly service to London. I imagine some departures carry only penny numbers of pax.
I often think that. For all the fuss they make about the place inc electrifying the branch, the usage figures are nothing to shout about. Nothing but talk of future growth since day one.

Sleepy

Established Member
Manningtree - 3 trains per hour off peak is unnecessary when non - Harwich connecting trains see 5 or less pax normally.

dk1

Veteran Member
Manningtree - 3 trains per hour off peak is unnecessary when non - Harwich connecting trains see 5 or less pax normally.
Hopefully that will be resolved in the upcoming timetables. Much of it is down to branch connectivity but Norwich passengers will shed no tears about passing through at 70mph.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Having used Corby station today (as I quite often do), what makes you say that? Obviously the trains to or from London are less busy than they are at Luton but the same goes for most (effective) ‘end of the branch’ stations. I certainly wouldn’t say it was penny numbers.
Vast housing developments continue. The place has doubled in population in the time I have known it and it has become far more outwardly focussed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Having used Corby station today (as I quite often do), what makes you say that? Obviously the trains to or from London are less busy than they are at Luton but the same goes for most (effective) ‘end of the branch’ stations. I certainly wouldn’t say it was penny numbers.
Vast housing developments continue. The place has doubled in population in the time I have known it and it has become far more outwardly focussed.
You only have to look at the usage figures. The growth has been pretty poor even dropping with what is a very good service. They are still around or less than 300k pa which even makes Great Yarmouth look good over the same period.

Status
Not open for further replies.