• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Train services with no intermediate stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosopher

Established Member
Yesterday I was on the 1312 Kings Cross to Cambridge train which I noticed had no intermediate stops between the train’s start and end point. How many non stop train services are there like this in the UK?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Its a great question. Clearly there are many services which run non-stop for a major portion of the journey but possibly few that start and terminate with no stops in between. Stourbridge junction to town is one, but that has no intermediate stations so a bit of a cheat really. There used to be a morning Birmingham International starter with no stops terminating at Euston.

HBP

Kings Cross with the first stop York or the same in the other direction are always my preferred choice if I can.

edit:Have now read your post again and see what you were asking.

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Others that come to.mind are Crewe to Chester and Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay.
There are also.a couple.of Wrexham to Chester and Crewe to Shrewsbury short workings which are non stop.

DanNCL

Established Member
Still a few Newcastle - Metrocentre services that run non stop if I recall correctly, although not as many as there used to be.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I am almost certain there used to be Oxford - Didcot Parkway shuttles which ran non-stop a couple of years ago, but it seems they all call at Radley now.

Obviously some of the Thames Valley branches would count (Windsor - Slough, plus Marlow - Bourne End at peak times), but both of those have no intermediate stations.

Sprinter107

There is a 22.01Saturdays Great Malvern to Worcester Foregate Street which runs non stop.

MarlowDonkey

Obviously some of the Thames Valley branches would count (Windsor - Slough, plus Marlow - Bourne End at peak times), but both of those have no intermediate stations.
Are there any peak time non-stop Paddington-Reading and vice versa services which start or terminate at Reading?

bramling

Veteran Member
Yesterday I was on the 1312 Kings Cross to Cambridge train which I noticed had no intermediate stops between the train’s start and end point. How many non stop train services are there like this in the UK?

Finchley Central to Mill Hill East, and Brighton to Hove spring to mind.

Some recent timetables have had a sole King’s Cross to Finsbury Park late evening GN service, can’t remember if it still runs in the current one.

OliverH68

I am almost certain there used to be Oxford - Didcot Parkway shuttles which ran non-stop a couple of years ago, but it seems they all call at Radley now.

Yep - there definitely were some non-stop Oxford - Didcot trains some years ago.

mmh

Established Member
Pre-Covid there was a non-stop London Waterloo to Surbiton terminator towards the end of the evening rush hour, and had been for years.

During Covid, the Llandudno to Llandudno Junction shuttle is non-stop if nobody requests Deganwy, which is most of the time.

Revilo

Quite a few Looe to Liskeard trains have no intermediate passenger stops, and a few Par to Newquays too.

Jez

Established Member
Before Covid, Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay. Now the service is extended to Caerphilly etc.

Crewe to Chester
Cardiff Central to Newport (occasionally, most are part of long distance services)

Bikeman78

Established Member
Before Covid, Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay. Now the service is extended to Caerphilly etc.

Crewe to Chester
Cardiff Central to Newport (occasionally, most are part of long distance services)
Until March last year there was a non stop train at 18:XX from Ystrad Mynach to Cardiff Central.

Also there are some non stop trains from Liverpool Street to Broxbourne and vice versa.

Back in the day there were some peak Waterloo-Basingstoke non stop trains formed of a CEP or CIG that ran just before the Exeter train to relieve the overcrowding.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There was up until recently an 1858 from Paddington to Oxford only. This was a covid-related timetable change though - it now runs through to Hereford.

Status
Not open for further replies.