Trivia: Train which has operated for the most TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
As the title says.

Excluding TOC handovers (ie GNER > National Express etc), but includes BR (ie Regional Railways > Northern)

I remember the state of 158789 in Scotland. It had come from SWT to ScotRail, and now that unit is at Northern - making it the fourth TOC it has served under.

Which unit or loco has the most?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
As the title says.

Excluding TOC handovers (ie GNER > National Express etc), but includes BR (ie Regional Railways > Northern)

I remember the state of 158789 in Scotland. It had come from SWT to ScotRail, and now that unit is at Northern - making it the fourth TOC it has served under.

I would say the 153s have worked more than 789 (RR, CT, SWT, SCR, NR), with the ScotRail batch transferring up (BR, RR, W&W, WT, FGW / GWR, NR, SCR). Having said that, some members of the Adelante fleet must be approaching a similar number of TOCs (FGW, NR via NXEC, FGW, GC).

sd0733

Established Member
The 4 temporary tfw 153s (918/968/972/982) are fairly well travelled now having been used under RR, Wales &.West, Wessex, FGW/GWR, EMT, EMR and now TfW.

168329 has also been about. I believe its opered for Anglia, Midland Mainline, Central and SWT as 170399, TPE as 170309 and now.for Chiltern as 168329

Established Member
For a small fleet the class 322s have certainly done the rounds.
BR, WA&GN, subleased to North West Trains, then up to Scotrail, back to NXEA for the Ipswich tunnel closure, back to Scotland, down to Northern and virtually back where they started based at Ilford to perhaps see out their final days.

Clansman

Established Member
Great shouts about the class of train.

But I was more meaning individual units.

I completely forgot about the 322s!

warwickshire

On Moderation
Some class 150120 to 150132 series Central trains. Then to silverlink county. Then to the former mtr before transferring to first great Western. Then gwr and arriva trains northern . Now northern rail including all the train operating transfers and name changes in those franchises as well.
180107 ie first great Western then abeillo northern then back to first great Western . Then hull trains. Then to grand Central.

LiftFan

Some of the 150/1s have certainly done the rounds, going from BR, Central Trains, Silverlink/London Overground, First Great Western/GWR and now all residing at Northern.

adc82140

Established Member
As the title says.

158789 also did a stint at Central Trains.

Edit: @fgwrich already said that.

JonathanH

Established Member
Surely some of the nodding donkeys will be on this list
No, members of the 15x fleet have worked for more TOCs than the 14x fleet.

Most of the Northern 142 worked for British Rail -> North West franchise / North East franchise -> Northern franchise. Those that haven't simply followed that simple path either had time with Cardiff Valleys / Wales or First Great Western, none both. There was first a 150 / 142 swap between the North East and the Cardiff franchise and then a 142 swap between the North East and the Wales franchise but that is it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As the title says.

786 & 789 were with BR, Central, SWT, Scotrail, Northern.

(I seem to remember they were in fairly poor condition when SWT took them on from Central, and with hindsight this was possibly a temporary deal, because they took on another 11, while releasing the two, to get them all with one ROSCo.)

Clansman

Established Member
786 & 789 were with BR, Central, SWT, Scotrail, Northern.

(I seem to remember they were in fairly poor condition when SWT took them on from Central, and with hindsight this was possibly a temporary deal, because they took on another 11, while releasing the two, to get them all with one ROSCo.)
They were in an awful state. 786 had something like 5 or 6 different brandings in various forms within it's interior just to patch it up, if I remember rightly.

Any other unit beat 158786/789?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A few of the driving cars of Chiltern's 168/3s might come close...

Prior to Chiltern they were of course with TPE, and most with SWT before that. A couple of them however spent their first few years as Porterbrook Spot-hire units, so got around a bit covering short-term gaps. They definitely spent time with Central, probably a few others too.

Clansman

Established Member
A few of the driving cars of Chiltern's 168/3s might come close...

Prior to Chiltern they were of course with TPE, and most with SWT before that. A couple of them however spent their first few years as Porterbrook Spot-hire units, so got around a bit covering short-term gaps. They definitely spent time with Central, probably a few others too.
Pretty sure one also spent time with ScotRail in the early 2000s?

Last edited:

Ianigsy

47832 has had a chequered career- from BR IC sector to FGW (where it hauled me on the Night Riviera) and subsequent Fragonset, Victa Westlink Rail, DRS and now West Coast.

USRailFan

Possibly some Class 37 from BR to Railfreight, from Railfreight to one of the "Shadow" freight operators (Mainline/Loadhaul/Transrail) then to EWS, to DRS, then to some smaller operator like ROG?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I don't have the records to confirm which is which, especially the spot hires, but the 180 fleet have all operated by/for the following combinations:

Great Western, Northern, Great Western, Grand Central, Northern (daily hire)
Great Western, Hull Trains, East Midlands Railway

Also, variously Hull Trains hired sets from GWR and GC, and occasionally GC hired sets from HT!

Amongst all of that some of them must have worked for 5 operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.