Trivia: trains scheduled to call at the same station consecutively

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Malcolmffc, 7 Apr 2019.

1. Malcolmffc

Malcolmffc Member

Today, SWR was running trains from Waterloo to Reading via Wimbledon, reversing at Virginia Water. The PSA actually announced two consecutive stops at Virginia Water (at different platforms), as reflected by the timetable:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W91570/2019/04/07

Just wondering if such timetabling happens in normal use anywhere? To be clear, I’m well aware there are many trains that go through the same location more than once non-consecutively.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The only one I can think of no longer seems to run, and was from Wick/Thurso or Kyle of Lochalsh through to Aberdeen, calling at Inverness twice.

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

All Far North services call at Georgemas twice. Or does the OP require different platforms?

5. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Wouldn't that be like the Saturdays only Kyle - Elgin service which takes the station avoider to reverse at the junction to call at Inverness (P1-P4) before carrying on towards Aberdeen?

6. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

But not consecutively - a call at Thurso is in between the two calls at Georgemas.

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The OP has specifically excluded that scenario.
    It could be that one I am thinking of which used to call at Inverness twice; maybe it used to go to Aberdeen or maybe I just imagined that. Anyway I have found the one you mentioned: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G88270/2019/05/18/advanced but it no longer calls at Inverness twice. I am sure it used to though!

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
  8. TEW

TEW Established Member

In the past when Reading trains have been diverted via Wimbledon the first call has been set down only and the second pick up only which leads to a slightly less bizarre display on the CIS. On the other hand I have seen the CIS at Waterloo advertising not only both stops at Virginia Water, but also a call at Virginia Water Signal F491 before.

9. HamworthyGoods

HamworthyGoods Member

It’s anywhere that involves a shunt mostly during engineering work. Trains for example have often called at Stevenage twice during SLW caused by engineering work.

10. 700007

700007 Member

There was a case during engineering works a few weeks back at Lewes where trains were diverted to run London - Lewes - Brighton, I believe calling at Lewes twice.

11. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

One that I can recall when on one of my rare ventures south of the mighty Thames is that there was engineering works between Kingston upon Thames and Raynes Park closing the line.

The timetable was parts of local services cobbled together, meaning that the Shepperton trains from Waterloo were running via Hounslow to Kingston, then reversing direction to continue to Shepperton calling at Teddington a second time. That is the closest example I can come up with, although what I have described here is similar to Georgemas Junction between Thurso and Wick as mentioned above.

Many years ago when there used to be track from the present day Fishergate Centre next door to Preston station running to Rostock Hall, this formed a balloon loop with the present day line that runs from Blackburn to Preston, which converges with the line from Ormskirk. I remember reading an article somewhere that in the days of steam locos, trains from points north of Preston heading to Blackpool would turn round via the balloon loop so as to switch platforms from one side of the station to another, and also saving the need for the loco to run round.