• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Trains with unusual stopping patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ737

G'day

2H09 07:49 Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly is the only passenger service that does not stop at Stockport.
Also some West Wales services do not stop at Swansea.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
Out of interest, what was the longest fast run out of Marylebone? I somehow doubt it'll be Leamington as it is today...

Given the single track section, it was Bicester in both directions. 0630 ex-Snow Hill on the up, 1700 and 1800 ex-Marylebone on the down.

Jeni

2H09 07:49 Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly is the only passenger service that does not stop at Stockport.

I believe there are also 1 or 2 XC services that pass through Stockport without stopping.

leyscjd

1220 Edinburgh-Kings Cross Sundays only calls Morpeth, Newcastle, Durham, York & Grantham. Possibly the only southbound service except the MF Flying Scotsman to omit Darlington.

In reality it rarely runs as any sort of minor engineering work over the length of the route means it doesn't operate, presumably due to pathing issues/lack of sets available.

When it does it provides an unprecedented 5 southbound departures to London within a 60 minute period from Newcastle, at 1259, 1315, 1328, 1351 (this train) and 1359, better than any other period of the entire week.

johnnychips

Established Member

This is apparently due to pathing problems and must annoy commuters to Stockport who must change at Hazel Grove.

Crossover

Established Member
I believe there are also 1 or 2 XC services that pass through Stockport without stopping.

G'day
You are correct there is one that runs thru Stockport at 23:50 without stopping.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

There is also another, unless it was a one off the day I was there. A Sunday service from Stoke at around 19:00, as it caught me by surprise

This one, possibly: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P33033/2013/05/05/advanced
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The services from Manchester Victoria to Leeds via Dewsbury don't usually call at Ravensthorpe and Cottingley (pathing may be part of the reason I think, as it would have a TPE on it otherwise) but at certain times of day, they call at both (but it can only be a single unit when it does, I believe due to Cottingley)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
0640 M-F Colne-Blackpool South service isn't booked to serve Hapton, despite it having an 11-minute wait at Blackburn and nothing as far as I can see behind it that would require it to clear a path...

0700 M-F Manchester Piccadilly-Euston service is the only service a day booked non-stop through Stoke. It serves Stockport only and is booked for 2h00 exactly. Naturally it's the headliner.

0704 M-F Wolves-Euston service is the only service booked non-stop through Birmingham International and Coventry. It calls at Sandwell & Dudley and New St only and is the Black Country (or northern West Midlands ;)) headliner.

0818 M-F Milngavie-Edinburgh service is the only service a day to run non-stop through Westerton, Anniesland, Hyndland and Partick.

The ATW Premier Holyhead-Cardiff Central service used to be non-stop through Hereford southbound, the only such service, but that changed when it was diverted via Wrexham in lieu of Crewe IIRC.

gnolife

Established Member
Never really understood why Rose Hill/Glossop (or Hadfield services) don't serve both Fairfield and Gorton? It's always one or the other (service depending).

It would irritate me if either was my local station. <D

Not the case anymore - the Rose Hill fast in each hour (xx23) got rerouted to run via Guide Bridge and calls at Ashburys, Gorton, Fairfield, Guide Bridge, Hyde Central, Woodley, Romiley and Rose Hill.

louis97

Established Member
Interesting that one - the working in the other direction, 1C23 the 17:00 Pad - Paignton does. I did find it a little strange this evening on this working, the guard announced 'we will shortly be arriving at St Thomas' when the rear of the train must have still been alongside the platform at St Davids! Oh, and we used platform 5 (and sit there for about 10 minutes), which is normally the Northbound 'main' platform.

1C23 1700 Pad-Pgn is only running Monday to Thursday at the moment because Cogload Junction - Castle Cary is closed, its normally 1C91 1736 Pad-Pgn via Westbury, calling Rdg, Nby, Pew, Wsb, Clc, Tau, Tvp, Exd, then all stops to Paignton. It sits in P5 to allow the Golden Hind to overtake (1803 Pad-Pnz), although during the diverts it does not overtake as it is later because of diversions, however the service still sits at EXD to fit into its usual path.

hilly

Fishguard boat train calls at bridgend, Llanelli, whitland and Fishguard

mister-sparky

In the peaks all Southeastern mainline services omit Orpington, but then most call at Chelsfield, the next station. Which is really odd as Orpington is a main station and Chelsfield is just a suburb.

cle

Established Member
Doesn't the 07:00 Manc headliner run via Wilmslow?

In which case, it isn't skipping Stoke!

SS4

Established Member
Would the 0730 Virgin service from Birmingham to Euston count? No other train I'm aware of runs non-stop

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Doesn't the 07:00 Manc headliner run via Wilmslow?

In which case, it isn't skipping Stoke!

Nope, via Stoke ;)

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/P51372/2013-05-03

Having said that, from a bit of rough maths both routes roughly equal in time - it's 39 1/2 Stockport-Stoke-Colwich non-stop and 46 Stockport-Crewe-Colwich with calls at Wilmslow and Crewe. Removing the 4 mins dwell time combined at the two intermediate calls then it becomes very close. I assume via Stoke is more convenient for paths than via Crewe.

NB - Info via Crewe taken from 0755 MAN-EUS service for tomorrow, like the Stoke link above.
Would the 0730 Virgin service from Birmingham to Euston count? No other train I'm aware of runs non-stop

Yes it does, just like I said last night ;) Of course back in't day, WSMR ran non-stop through both International and Coventry.

D6975

Established Member
According to the NRT published online by Network Rail, the 14:49 Penzance-Plymouth calls at all stations except Par.
Odd, given that there's a 15:01 off Newquay that connects into it!!

It does, of course call at Par in reality, a blatant error in the published document that hasn't been spotted. Ticket booking engines will sell you a ticket, changing at Par 15:47/15:52, arr Plymouth 16:52.

TheJRB

Established Member
On the Southeastern network:

From Charing Cross
2R06 0530 London Charing Cross to Ramsgate calls at Orpington, Chelsfield and Hildenborough, rare stops for Ramsgate trains.
2N06 0556 London Charing Cross to Gillingham (Kent) and 2N08 0626 London Charing Cross to Strood call at all stations to Gillingham via Sidcup (except St Johns).
2S92 0748 London Charing Cross to Orpington is fast from London Bridge to Orpington only.
2R90 0752 London Charing Cross to Tonbridge is fast from London Bridge to Tonbridge only.
2R20 0853 London Charing Cross to Ashford International is fast from London Bridge to Tonbridge, then fast again to Ashford (the only train of the day fast on the Ashford-Tonbridge line).
1M90 1730 London Charing Cross to Dartford and 1M92 1752 London Charing Cross to Dartford run fast from Waterloo East to Blackheath.
2L80 2239, 2L82 2309 and 2L84 2339 to Gillingham call additionally at Stone Crossing, Swanscombe and Northfleet.
2Y86 0015 London Charing Cross to Tonbridge runs non stop from London Bridge to Orpington (avoiding Lewisham via New Beckenham) then all stations except Knockholt to Sevenoaks.

To Charing Cross
2D04 0434 Gillingham (Kent) to London Charing Cross calls all stations via Sidcup to Charing Cross (except St Johns).
1D52 0712 Gillingham (Kent) to London Charing Cross calls all stations to New Eltham, then fast to London Bridge.
1C90 0738 Barnehurst to London Charing Cross and 1C92 0758 Barnehurst to London Charing Cross run fast from Blackheath to Waterloo East.
2Y92 1612 Beckenham Junction to London Charing Cross calls at normal Hayes-Charing Cross stops but starts at Beckenham Junction instead of Hayes.

From Cannon Street
2Y91 0903 London Cannon Street to Beckenham Junction runs fast from London Bridge to Ladywell via Lewisham then all stations to Beckenham Junction via the New Beckenham spur.
1G93 1814 London Cannon Street to Ramsgate run fast from London Bridge to Chatham.

To Cannon Street
2A91 0607 Gillingham (Kent) to London Cannon Street doesn't call at Charlton.
1G91 0625 Broadstairs to London Cannon Street and 1G93 0648 Broadstairs to London Cannon Street are fast from Chatham to London Bridge.
2C63 1810 Barnehurst to London Cannon Street doesn't call at Blackheath.

From Victoria
2B96 0530 London Victoria to Bromley South calls at Wandsworth Road, Clapham High Street, Denmark Hill, Peckham Rye and is then fast to Bromley South.
2U08 0709 London Victoria to Dartford calls only at Lewisham, Blackheath and Barnehurst en-route.
2U12 0743 London Victoria to Dartford calls usual stops to Blackheath, then fast to Dartford.
1S88 0010 London Victoria to Ramsgate runs fast from Victoria to Rochester then all stations to Ramsgate.
2S88 0037 London Victoria to Gillingham (Kent) calls at Herne Hill, Penge East and Beckenham Junction but not Sole Street.

To Victoria
2A02 0433 Swanley to London Victoria calls at all stations to Victoria via Beckenham Junction.
1P06 0540, 1P08 0609 and 1P10 0632 from Ramsgate all run fast from Chatham to Bromley South.
2B90 1818 Sevenoaks to London Victoria calls at all stations to St Mary Cray, then Bromley South, Denmark Hill, Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road and Victoria.

From St Pancras
1F50 1725, 1F52 1755 and 1F54 1825 to Broadstairs run fast from Ebbsfleet to Rochester.
1J50 1712 St Pancras International to Dover Priory, 1J52 1742 St Pancras International to Sandwich, 1J54 1812 St Pancras International to Margate and 1J56 1842 St Pancras International to Sandwich do not call at Ebbsfleet.

To St Pancras
1F11 0600, 1F13 0630 and 1F15 0700 from Broadstairs all run fast from Rochester to Ebbsfleet.
1J09 0548 Margate to St Pancras International, 1J11 0626 Ramsgate to St Pancras International, 1J13 0646 Margate to St Pancras International and 1J15 0730 Ramsgate to St Pancras International do not call at Ebbsfleet.

I'm sure there are others and if I find any, I'll add them. There are some which are unusual but happen too many times a day to mention (e.g. peak Hastings services which run fast from High Brooms to London Bridge in each direction).

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
1C23 1700 Pad-Pgn is only running Monday to Thursday at the moment because Cogload Junction - Castle Cary is closed, its normally 1C91 1736 Pad-Pgn via Westbury, calling Rdg, Nby, Pew, Wsb, Clc, Tau, Tvp, Exd, then all stops to Paignton. It sits in P5 to allow the Golden Hind to overtake (1803 Pad-Pnz), although during the diverts it does not overtake as it is later because of diversions, however the service still sits at EXD to fit into its usual path.

Thanks for that. I was aware that some work was going on, just wasn't quite sure of the effects. It would seem that everything booked that way goes via Bristol - some stopping, some not - and some leave 30 minutes earlier (like this one and the 10:00 PAD - PNZ leaving at 9:30).

Did think there would be logical reason why it is booked to use 5. I suppose it can use 5 as there is no XC departure North at 25 past, unlike most hours.

Thanks for the additional info :)

Bevan Price

Established Member
Out of interest, what was the longest fast run out of Marylebone? I somehow doubt it'll be Leamington as it is today...

In the remote past, when the GC main line was opened, there was once a service with no booked stops between Marylebone and Sheffield Victoria.

Leicester Central was served by the now extinct practice of "slip coaches", uncoupled from moving trains and brought to a stop by the guard controlling the brakes. Somehow think that HSE might disapprove if they tried to reintroduce slip coaches today....
17:41 Manchester Airport - Liverpool Lime St. calls at Eccles - on weekdays this is the only service in either direction between Eccles and Manchester Oxford Road / Piccadilly.

Darren R

Established Member
0640 M-F Colne-Blackpool South service isn't booked to serve Hapton, despite it having an 11-minute wait at Blackburn and nothing as far as I can see behind it that would require it to clear a path...

It has an 11 minute wait at Blackburn in order to provide a peak connection with the train from Clitheroe which arrives at BBN 4 mins later - allowing three-way interchange between Clitheroe/Colne and Preston/Manchester. It can't leave Colne a few minutes earlier in order to call at Hapton because it would have to wait at Gannow Jn for the 0551 Leeds - Blackpool North to pass first, and it can't arrive at BBN a couple of minutes later because that would delay the Clitheroe - Manchester service behind it, which would have a knock-on effect in the passing loop at Darwen. (Yes, I know, I need to get out more, but I regularly marvel at the skill of the timetable planners every time I see this three-way connection at Blackburn!:lol:)

Antman

Established Member
In the peaks all Southeastern mainline services omit Orpington, but then most call at Chelsfield, the next station. Which is really odd as Orpington is a main station and Chelsfield is just a suburb.

There are only a few trains that do that most are fast to Sevenoaks or Tonbridge, I assume the Chelsfield ones that don't stop at Orpington are for overcrowding reasons.

There are also the Hasting ones that are fast to High Brooms and the only scheduled passenger trains to use the centre tracks through Tonbridge.

Established Member
People have said they find it strange that it doesn't stop at Dawlish Warren when the return working does - fair enough.

What I find stranger is that it stops at the likes of St Thomas and Yatton, yet omits Tiverton Parkway, where a lot more things stop!

Didn't notice DWW but TVP, Bridgwater, Highbridge & Burnham and Worle Are all omitted whereas EXT and Starcross are not...

headshot119

Established Member
WAG Holyhead - Cardiff omits Ruabon, Chirk, and Gobowen
WAG Cardiff - Holyhead omits Chirk and Ruabon the only two services that do presently I believe.

Shimbleshanks

There are a handful of trains from London to Brighton at XX:21 that don't call at Clapham Junction but do call at East Croydon - such as the 20:21 I think, which is quite unusual now that everything else except the Gatwick Express calls there.

And there are trains that call London Charing Cross and Waterloo East and then omit London Bridge.

All calculated to catch out the unwary commuter...
There are a few unusual rush hour stopping patterns on the Fenchurch Street line. For example, 16:28 departure to Shoeburyness omits Barking and Upmister; 17:00 to S'ness first stop Benfleet, omiting Barking & Upminster and a few others. Plus similar inbound workings in the morning rush hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.