• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Two changes from London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par

At the time of closure in 2009, the Oldham stations on eastern side of the Oldham Loop would have needed two changes for London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone know how many changes required from Hollerton Junction, and at which station(s)?

D6975

Established Member
I believe that throughout most of rail history there was only ONE mainland Great British station which required THREE changes to reach London. Anyone know which?

Lenabo?

swcovas

I believe that throughout most of rail history there was only ONE mainland Great British station which required THREE changes to reach London. Anyone know which?

You've had me and a few mates trying to figure this one out since you lobbed the question! How about coming up with the answer!!! We all reckon somewhere in Scotland.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Presteigne?

JRM

Presteigne it was! Give the man a cigar!

From 1875 to 1951 Presteigne had 3 trains a day, but they only went to Titley Junction or Kington. From there you joined the mighty express from New Radnor to Leominster, but even at Leominster there was never a through train to London.

Until the sixties, they ran trains like the Lakes Express and the Cambrian Coast Express, which divided en route to give a huge number of branch line stations a direct train from London.

Which makes me wonder .. Which departure from London went to MOST stations? I am sure somebody must have thought of this question before, but I've never seen it.

swcovas

Presteigne it was! Give the man a cigar!

From 1875 to 1951 Presteigne had 3 trains a day, but they only went to Titley Junction or Kington. From there you joined the mighty express from New Radnor to Leominster, but even at Leominster there was never a through train to London.

Until the sixties, they ran trains like the Lakes Express and the Cambrian Coast Express, which divided en route to give a huge number of branch line stations a direct train from London.

Which makes me wonder .. Which departure from London went to MOST stations? I am sure somebody must have thought of this question before, but I've never seen it.

I'll have a pint instead of the cigar! Actually I can't really take the credit. Question was bounced around among some friends and that was one that came up. I was doubtful as I thought at least one train went through to Leominster. Great question though.

Deepgreen

Established Member

The Atlantic Coast Express from Waterloo must be a contender. BTW, do you mean the most destinations, or the most stations in total (i.e. en route as well)?

Rapidash

Depends on where in London you go from, me thinks. Not many need two from Paddington down to the Westcountry, but from Waterloo you'll need two changes to get on the Cornish branches.

najaB

Veteran Member
Depends on where in London you go from, me thinks. Not many need two from Paddington down to the Westcountry, but from Waterloo you'll need two changes to get on the Cornish branches.
The OP's question was the minimum changes required from London, so no cheating by starting from a non-optimal terminus.

The Atlantic Coast Express from Waterloo must be a contender. BTW, do you mean the most destinations, or the most stations in total (i.e. en route as well)?

At some time in the 1950s winter timetable the ACE had portions, often single composite breaks, for 9 destinations. Lyme Regis, Seaton, Sidmouth, Exmouth, Ilfracombe, Great Torrinton, Plymouth, Bude and Padstow. Somehow I think this is the winner!

Last edited by a moderator:

leightonbd

How about the Cambrian coast line to Pwllheli? Change at Machynlleth and Birmingham?

Edit, sorry

Cancel that - I think the Birmingham train actually splits at Machynlleth with part going north to Pwllheli and the other part south to Aberystwyth

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Cancel that - I think the Birmingham train actually splits at Machynlleth with part going north to Pwllheli and the other part south to Aberystwyth

That's what it did when I caught it last year. There are some where you need to change, but plenty where you don't.

Darren R

Established Member
At the time of closure in 2009, the Oldham stations on eastern side of the Oldham Loop would have needed two changes for London.

True enough, but prior to May 2000 the prospective London-bound Oldhamite (or whatever the term is!) would only have needed to change at Rochdale. Although I suspect that most preferred to make multiple changes rather than go all that way on a 158! :lol:

Par

True enough, but prior to May 2000 the prospective London-bound Oldhamite (or whatever the term is!) would only have needed to change at Rochdale. Although I suspect that most preferred to make multiple changes rather than go all that way on a 158! :lol:

Also, in the 2000's many of the services through Oldham ran onto Southport via Wigan Wallgate. Technically, I suppose walking the 100 metres (or whatever it is) to Wigan NW counts as two changes?

But for practical purposes, I would class this as one change, and it would also obviate the need to use that 158 of course. :lol:

Additionally I'm sure that there was a daily Blackpool service offering a single change at Preston?

Last edited:

JRM

I have been hunting for the number of stations reached by the Atlantic Coast Express.

In my Winter 1962 timetable it carried 7 sections and called at 51 stations. 42 of which are now closed. 43 if you count Okehampton as closed.

But there would have been more in 1955 when Lyme Regis and Seaton sections were included. I can't be sure that no train from London ever served more stations than that but I am not sure.

It looks like the Ilfracombe portion arrived at 15.55; nowhere on the way did it wait more than 4 minutes. Which makes it sound like there was no chance to change engines; the same loco and the front carriages ran through from Waterloo to Ilfracombe. Pretty smart work uncoupling at Sidmouth Junction, Exeter, and Barnstaple Junction.

In the present timetable the Caledonian Sleeper at 2115 from Euston splits in 3 and goes to 39 stations. Everything the modern railway does not do!

markymark2000

On Moderation
All stations on Merseyrail's Northern Line apart from Liverpool South Parkway, unless you count walking from Liverpool Central to Liverpool Lime Street (rather than changing at Moorfields and Liverpool Lime Street) as a single change.

Ormskirk, Kirkby and Southport can get a Preston (from Ormskirk) or Manchester (Kirkby and Southport) bound services and change for a London bound from Preston/Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.