• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Two changes from London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehhh

Are there any stations where a minimum of 2 changes is needed to get from London?
The only places I can think of are the Esk Valley line stations to Whitby, but there must be more...
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I did try and search but couldn't find it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Clitheroe plus other intermediate stations between there and Bolton (excluding Blackburn).

SeanG

Are there any stations where a minimum of 2 changes is needed to get from London?
The only places I can think of are the Esk Valley line stations to Whitby, but there must be more...
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I did try and search but couldn't find it

Whitby has direct trains to Darlington on a Sunday which, of course, has many London bound trains

rwebster

All stations on Merseyrail's Northern Line apart from Liverpool South Parkway, unless you count walking from Liverpool Central to Liverpool Lime Street (rather than changing at Moorfields and Liverpool Lime Street) as a single change.

Liam

Established Member
Stations on the Maryhill Line, excluding the termini Anniesland and Queen Street.

Established Member
Intermediate stations between Stalybridge and Huddersfield? Changing at SYB/MAN or HUD/LDS.

Atherton line stations as well with a couple of exceptions. (A couple of trains go to WGN)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Stourbridge Town needs a change at Stourbridge Junction and Birmingham.
Can we use non National Rail train & metro services?
If it is a few Glasgow Subway stations would count as Partick appears to be the only direct interchange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
There is a direct service between Stourbridge Junction and London Marylebone (in fact four London bound trains are stabled at Stourbridge every night) so Stourbridge Town can be done with one change.

me123

Established Member
If it is a few Glasgow Subway stations would count as Partick appears to be the only direct interchange.

Also Buchanan Street has a connection to Queen Street, although there are no direct services to London from there either.

In fairness, I don't think there are any stations in Scotland where you can't get to London either directly or with one change - mostly due to the Sleeper network. (Although the frequencies are often low and many journeys would necessitate multiple changes). However, if we disallow the walk between Central and Queen Street then I'd nominate:
  • Ashfield, Possilpark & Parkhouse, Gilshochill, Summerston, Maryhill
  • Springburn, Duke Street, Alexandra Parade, Barnhill, Stepps, Gartcosh
  • Bishopbriggs if going to London (although you can get from London with a change at Edinburgh if and only if you connect onto the 2300 departure from EDB).

(I was going to include Lenzie as well, but there is a service to Edinburgh just once a day).

However, in reality, passengers from these stations going South would walk across Glasgow to catch a train to London.

SprinterMan

Established Member
If we are considering Charing Cross as "London", anywhere on the DLR :P

But seriously, Liverpool's "Northern Line" seems to have many stations that are 2 changes from London.

Adam :D

RJ

Established Member
If we are considering Charing Cross as "London", anywhere on the DLR :P

Surely one change at Lewisham, Greenwich, West Ham, Stratford/Stratford International or Woolwich Arsenal from various London termini allows access to the network.

kieron

Established Member
There have been threads about this, but I couldn't find any from the last year with a quick search.

"More than one change from London" and "Just a quick question...." dealt with exactly the same question.
"Trivia: Number of changes needed to reach London from every stations." worked the other way around (to London rather than from it).
"Changing trains...." was similar, but nominally focussed on stations near London.
"More than one change from Birmingham?", "More than one change from Manchester?" and "More than 1 change from...Stourbridge Town" dealt with similar questions.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Does a service run direct from Carlisle? I thought you had to change at Hellifield!

Edit: Actually, I can see a Sundays only service from Preston to Hellifield calling at all of those stations, therefore that would be one change from Euston!

That works too :P

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y31025/2015/05/24/advanced
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also Buchanan Street has a connection to Queen Street, although there are no direct services to London from there either.

In fairness, I don't think there are any stations in Scotland where you can't get to London either directly or with one change - mostly due to the Sleeper network. (Although the frequencies are often low and many journeys would necessitate multiple changes). However, if we disallow the walk between Central and Queen Street then I'd nominate:
  • Ashfield, Possilpark & Parkhouse, Gilshochill, Summerston, Maryhill
  • Springburn, Duke Street, Alexandra Parade, Barnhill, Stepps, Gartcosh
  • Bishopbriggs if going to London (although you can get from London with a change at Edinburgh if and only if you connect onto the 2300 departure from EDB).

(I was going to include Lenzie as well, but there is a service to Edinburgh just once a day).

However, in reality, passengers from these stations going South would walk across Glasgow to catch a train to London.

And this for Maryhill and Possilpark? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G97301/2015/04/22/advanced One change from the Sleeper at Dumbarton Central

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
Wirksworth

(Yes its on National Rail Enquiries and I'm pretty certain you can buy a through ticket)

JRM

I believe that throughout most of rail history there was only ONE mainland Great British station which required THREE changes to reach London. Anyone know which?

Status
Not open for further replies.