• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Two routes to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart2887

So, when Oxford and Oxford Parkway are joined up, passengers will be able to leave Oxford in either direction to go to London. Anywhere else that's possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So, when it's joined up, passengers will be able to leave Oxford in either direction to go to London. Anywhere else that's possible?

Fareham, Portchester, Cosham for a start. Loads of places in SWT's inner suburban network that run as out and back loops.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Exeter St Davids. Where trains can run to either London Waterloo or London Paddington from either direction.

And Westbury. GW to Paddington, SWT to Waterloo.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
With SWT's new services, Yeovil Town. Either via Westbury or to Yeovil Junction and reverse.

Don't both services leave to the East? I think he meant North/South or East/West.

Leeds and Sheffield too.

I wasn't aware of a London service that left Leeds via Hambleton to London, nor of a Sheffield - London that runs through Meadowhall or Darnall, though I'm prepared to be wrong on either score.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
So, when it's joined up, passengers will be able to leave Oxford in either direction to go to London. Anywhere else that's possible?

Newcastle is probably the classic example where the direction departure of the same service can (technically) from one day to the next.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I wasn't aware of a London service that left Leeds via Hambleton to London, nor of a Sheffield - London that runs through Meadowhall or Darnall, though I'm prepared to be wrong on either score.

The 0655 Skipton to London Kings Cross via Leeds has its booked route via Hambelton on Saturdays: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y71448/2016/10/22/advanced

Although I'd admit that makes it pretty rare. After Virgin gain their new fleet I understand the bi-hourly Harrogate services will operate via Hambelton all day.

You're absolutely right about Sheffield though. I thought there was a service via Beighton Junction, but it seems not.

Established Member
Don't both services leave to the East? I think he meant North/South or East/West.

I don't quite follow that.

Two trains from Pen Mill Mon. - Fri. go to Yeovil Junction, and then via Sherborne to Salisbury and London. Three trains go via Westbury.

thenorthern

Established Member
Birmingham although it does utilise two stations.

Glasgow Central, Motherwell and Haymarket all make use of both the East and West Coast main lines.

York, Doncaster, Leeds and Wakefield Westgate all make use of a very limited service to London by East Midlands Trains and are also served by the regular Virgin Trains East Coast services.

<snip>

York, Doncaster, Leeds and Wakefield Westgate all make use of a very limited service to London by East Midlands Trains and are also served by the regular Virgin Trains East Coast services.

on that basis you could add Lincoln although both the VTEC and EMT london services depart towards Newark

in theory of course you could have a route going going the join line and joining back to the ECML at peterborough or some such

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Stations on the Kingston and Hounslow Loop, the Southeastern loop services, and also Sutton.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The Thameslink loop route to Wimbledon/Sutton has trains to one part of London leaving in two directions.

Also Wimbledon effectively has services to three London locations/routes. Waterloo, Blackfriars etc (NE and SE bound) and Victoria (District Line ;)!).

DasLunatic

All stations from Kings Lynn to Cambridge do too - GA to Liverpool St, GN to Kings X.

Stewart2887

D'oh Edinburgh-I'm born and raised there, should have got that one. London is complicated, not surprised it's possible there. Interesting! Does the Fife loop (maybe Glenrothes) count? Do passengers front up and take the first service in either direction?

cuccir

Established Member
How different do we need? Unlikely as a choice perhaps but Sunderland has via Hartlepool and via Newcastle!
--
Post is largely repetition!

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
How about Birmingham New St? I thought you could go both north and south from both ends

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Hastings has two direct routes to London - via Haywards Heath and via Tonbridge. There's also using HS1 to St Pancras via Ashford and a whole myriad of minor variations on those three you can use.

GlosRail

Cheltenham & Ashchurch.

You can go lots of ways. Via Stroud, Via Bristol Parkway, or north via Worcester and then Oxford, or even up to Birmingham New Street, then down the West Coast Main line into Euston.

All take 2-3 hours.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also Exeter, you can go North with Great Western into Paddington, or south with South West Trains into Waterloo.

Status
Not open for further replies.