• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: UK stations named after pubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Several stations have been recently mentioned on another thread which are named after nearby pubs, which may or may not still exist. Obvious examples are Bat and Ball, Craven Arms, Old Roan and Portsmouth Arms. How many other stations past or present can you think of which were named after pubs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
On the London Underground : Angel; Elephant & Castle; Swiss Cottage. And a well-known one built but not opened, Bull & Bush.

Once they get a station named after them the name seems to expand to the whole district.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bay Horse (closed to passengers 1960), on the West Coast main line south of Lancaster; named after the nearby Bay Horse Inn; later, the small hamlet of Bay Horse developed around the station.

Short-lived; but, Trouble House Halt on the Kemble -- Tetbury branch, named after the adjacent Trouble House Inn. Existed between the introduction in 1959 of diesel railbuses on the branch; and the line's complete closure in 1964.

Calthrop

Established Member
Three Cocks Junction, on the Brecon system of happy memory -- called after adjacent pub. Also, Pilot Halt on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch (closed for a good many years) -- after the contiguous pub called The Pilot. I suspect that there are or have been, scores of pub-named stations up and down the country !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not so much a station, but a whole railway...

It has been suggested* that Brunel was so enamoured of the Bathams in The Great Western in Wolverhampton, that he named his whole railway after the pub.

*suggested by me, and I made it up :D

Oxfordblues

Cabin Station on the Blackpool Tramway is named after the pub "Uncle Tom's Cabin" inspired by the novel by Harriet Beecher Stowe published in 1852. The pub has recently been renamed "Ma Kelly's Showboat" but the tram station name is unchanged.

neilmc

Nelson, in Pendle, was originally the Nelson Inn Station in the village of Marsden and as a town coalesced around the villages of Great and Little Marsden this town was named Nelson to differentiate it from Marsden in Yorkshire.

Trackman

Established Member
Cabin Station on the Blackpool Tramway is named after the pub "Uncle Tom's Cabin" inspired by the novel by Harriet Beecher Stowe published in 1852. The pub has recently been renamed "Ma Kelly's Showboat" but the tram station name is unchanged.
Strange one Cabin, station sign says Cabin but on board announcements and the tickets say ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’ - anyway last time I was there.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There used to be a train service between Wigan NW and Blackburn via Chorley.

First stop north of Wigan was at Boar's Head (guess what the nearby pub on the A49 road is called).

Next but one stop was at White Bear station in Adlington (the pub is still there too).

I was hoping the station near Blackburn at Cherry Tree would also be named after a pub with the same name, but that seems not to be the case.

Park Drain on the GN/GE Joint line. The only building anywhere near it was the Park Drain Hotel.

hwl

Established Member
Norwood Junction was originally called "Jolly Sailor" for the first 7 years (1839-46) after the still extant near by Jolly Sailor Inn (pub then rebuilt in 1860).

Croydon Council a few years back suggested renaming the station to more reflect the nature of history of the the area but didn't suggest a name, they were hoping the public might suggest their favoured "North Croydon" or similar which would have got more developer cash in. But enough locals had sense of humour to suggest renaming it as "Jolly Sailor" to reflect local history and all was quickly forgotten!

And, I think very briefly, Forest Hill was Dartmouth Arms. Same route as Jolly Sailor, four stations further north.

D6130

Established Member
Sounds good, but sadly not correct. There is a pub called the "Lower New Inn" in New Inn, but there's no connection. In fact, the station was only renamed from Pontypool Road in 1994.
Just to add a few more to my own thread, while talking of South Wales, how about:

Cross Keys, on the Newport-Ebbw Vale line.
Six Bells, on the nearby Aberbeeg-Brynmawr line.
Travellers Rest, on the Pontypridd-Merthyr line.
and Red Lion Crossing Halt, on the Pantyffynon-Gwaun Cae Gurwen branch.

Meanwhile, in West Wales, there was Crymmych Arms, on the Whitland-Cardigan (Ceredigion) branch.
In Mid-Wales, there was Seven Stars Halt on the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway and just over the border in England, there was Tram Inn (still a signalbox and the pub's still there) between Abergavenny and Hereford.

Lastly, on the venerable Stockton & Darlington line, there was Fighting Cocks.

Keep them coming folks - there must still be quite a few more!

DB

Nelson, in Pendle, was originally the Nelson Inn Station in the village of Marsden and as a town coalesced around the villages of Great and Little Marsden this town was named Nelson to differentiate it from Marsden in Yorkshire.

That one's a case of a station named after a town, named after a pub, named after a person!

D6130

Established Member
........and, of course, for all you West Somerset folk, there's Blue Anchor - while at the other end of the same county, I believe that Cannard's Grave Halt on the Somerset & Dorset Joint line was named after a nearby pub which, in turn, was named after a nearby landscape feature.

vlad

Levenshulme is of course named after a bar on the A6 south of the station.

(I'll get my coat.)

Status
Not open for further replies.