• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: "unappreciated" Scenic Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sadly just the unit now, though run as an Intercites IIRC

I was interested in doing that one until I saw it was a unit. Scenic lines in "proper trains" (even something like an 80x) are worth travelling for. Scenic lines in a dogbox with onions round its neck, a bit less so; there are plenty of scenic DMU rides in the UK to keep me going.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Corsica - only had time for Bastia to Corte, but stunning when it gets into the mountains.
Yes well worth it both routes splendid scenery, suggest watch the drivers eye videos on youtube to appreciate the curves!

I was interested in doing that one until I saw it was a unit. Scenic lines in "proper trains" (even something like an 80x) are worth travelling for. Scenic lines in a dogbox with onions round its neck, a bit less so; there are plenty of scenic DMU rides in the UK to keep me going.
Agree about the scruffy train: graffitied emu on my last trip in 2019 conked out before Marvejols northbound so had to enjoy Viaduct de Garabit from the rail replacement bus (good view from the motorway though and if in the car they've provided a viewpoint rest area).

Calthrop

Established Member
If we can stay in Belgium, Charleroi (which is a bit like Rotherham, but grim) to Couvin. Get off at Mariembourg for a lovely town and a preserved steam railway.

I'll second you on this one: travelled on this line (including a trip on the mentioned Trois Vallees preserved line) during a tour of the south of Belgium a couple of decades back. I would reckon this corner of the country around Philippeville / Couvin (in a sort of "bulge" of Belgium protruding into France) as the most scenically atttractive part of Belgium, that I've seen -- more so to my taste, than the Ardennes a bit further east. (Belgium's north has plenty of interesting features; but for me at any rate, scenery is not one of them !)

there is a beautiful cross border line in the German/Polish Neisse valley from Görlitz to Zittau.
It links the two German towns via Polish territory.

Have come across many accounts of this line, with its interesting hopping between the two countries -- haven't visited those parts myself. It would appear that not everyone who's done so, has found the area in general -- railway matters aside -- an unalloyed delight. I recall reading an account of his travels, by a chap who ranged far and wide in Poland in the mid / late 1980s in search of surviving PKP everyday steam action. He was in this far south-eastern corner of Poland -- back then, there was a passenger service (long defunct, as of now) on the offshoot of the Goerlitz -- Zittau line running to Bogatynia, middle of this funny "panhandle" bit of Poland squeezed between Germany and the Czech Republic. He travelled on a train doing this run, originating I think at Luban: this working was steam, unlike the then diesel-hauled majority of trains on that route. Certainly in those times, it was widely known that decades of Soviet domination and general misrule had caused widespread quite horrendous environmental damage in Poland: our traveller found this corner of the country, an extreme case of same: obviously-dead rivers, dead or dying forests, large-scale industrial "muck and mess" everywhere -- except for (or in spite of) the steam haulage, he found his journey to Bogatynia and back, an extremely depressing one. (Perhaps in the post-Communist era, things in this sphere have improved..?)

peteb

I'll second you on this one: travelled on this line (including a trip on the mentioned Trois Vallees preserved line) during a tour of the south of Belgium a couple of decades back. I would reckon this corner of the country around Philippeville / Couvin (in a sort of "bulge" of Belgium protruding into France) as the most scenically atttractive part of Belgium, that I've seen -- more so to my taste, than the Ardennes a bit further east. (Belgium's north has plenty of interesting features; but for me at any rate, scenery is not one of them !)

Have come across many accounts of this line, with its interesting hopping between the two countries -- haven't visited those parts myself. It would appear that not everyone who's done so, has found the area in general -- railway matters aside -- an unalloyed delight. I recall reading an account of his travels, by a chap who ranged far and wide in Poland in the mid / late 1980s in search of surviving PKP everyday steam action. He was in this far south-eastern corner of Poland -- back then, there was a passenger service (long defunct, as of now) on the offshoot of the Goerlitz -- Zittau line running to Bogatynia, middle of this funny "panhandle" bit of Poland squeezed between Germany and the Czech Republic. He travelled on a train doing this run, originating I think at Luban: this working was steam, unlike the then diesel-hauled majority of trains on that route. Certainly in those times, it was widely known that decades of Soviet domination and general misrule had caused widespread quite horrendous environmental damage in Poland: our traveller found this corner of the country, an extreme case of same: obviously-dead rivers, dead or dying forests, large-scale industrial "muck and mess" everywhere -- except for (or in spite of) the steam haulage, he found his journey to Bogatynia and back, an extremely depressing one. (Perhaps in the post-Communist era, things in this sphere have improved..?)
The route north from Liberec (CZ) into Poland is reckoned to be very scenic with some interesting trains. Unfortunately Covid put paid to my planned circular trip this year from Gorlitz to Poland to Liberec to Zittau and back to Gorlitz. It's all rescheduled for 2021 Covid permitting. The lines south west from Liberec and into Germany are also reckoned to be scenic.

Calthrop

Established Member
The route north from Liberec (CZ) into Poland is reckoned to be very scenic with some interesting trains. Unfortunately Covid put paid to my planned circular trip this year from Gorlitz to Poland to Liberec to Zittau and back to Gorlitz. It's all rescheduled for 2021 Covid permitting. The lines south west from Liberec and into Germany are also reckoned to be scenic.

This is for sure a fascinating -- and, pace man-made havoc, scenically attractive -- corner of central Europe; with interesting interplay of frontiers re three different countries. A (long-gone) thing in the railway realm, which I love about it: is the one-time 750mm gauge line, connecting at Zittau with the still-active-today 750mm gauge system there -- but if I have things rightly, until 1945 a private undertaking; not, as was the just-mentioned Zittau system, part of the Saxon and subsequently German state railways. The line concerned, began life around the turn of the 19th / 20th centuries, as an international private line running eastward from Zittau, via Bogatynia (then Reichenau, also in Germany), and on across the German / Austro-Hungarian border to meet that Empire's standard gauge at what is now Frydlant in the Czech Republic -- in Austrian Empire days, Friedland. This situation continued post-World War I: the border stayed the same; only, to the east of it was now Czechoslovakia, not the defunct Empire. Frontier-redrawing in 1945 messed things up: the river Neisse (Nysa) became the new border between (East) Germany and Poland -- this, the southernmost reach of the Oder-Neisse Line -- leapfrogged by the Goerlitz -- Zittau railway. The Zittau -- Frydlant n/g line was thus "filleted" -- now diving into Poland immediately east of Zittau, with some 10 km. of newly Polish territory -- the "panhandle" -- intervening before the still-in-force Czech border. New-style Soviet-bloc conditions put an end to international through working; but for fifteen years or so, sections of the 750mm line on either side of the town which was now Bogatynia, remained in use under PKP. (I think I may have heard that a short stub of the Czech part of the line, west of Frydlant: also remained active for a while, worked by the Czechoslovak state railways.) The parts of the line in Poland were abandoned in the very early 1960s; concurrent, I believe, on the inauguration of a new PKP standard-gauge branch from Turoszow on the Goerlitz -- Zittau line, to Bogatynia.

Engaging 750mm gauge lines have been two-a-penny in these parts of the world: this one running east from Zittau may well not have been in itself, very specially noteworthy -- I just find fascinating, the complexities of the geopolitical stuff which it underwent.

Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
@Calthrop .
Yes, the Situation has much improved, partially with EU grants.
Only German passenger trains operated by ODEG use that line, although I believe some PKP coal traffic still exists.

davetheguard

Established Member
I don’t really hear much talk about the classic route from Barcelona to Tarragona. It’s essentially Dawlish but next to the Mediterranean.

Yes, and north out of Barcelona via the local coastal line follows the beach for mile after mile too!

JonasB

I know this thread is about unappreciated routes, but I'm still going to say Norway. While the Bergen line gets a lot of attention and frequently ends up on lists of the most scenic routes in the world, the other rail lines in Norway are also worth a trip. Especially Oslo-Trondheim-Bodö.

davetheguard

Established Member

Goerlitz is a very beautiful town, and a great place to stay to explore the local area. If you've seen the Kate Winslet film The Reader, or The Book Thief, you've been to Goerlitz; you just don't know it. A day trip to Liberic in the Czech Republic is just one interesting day excursion you can make by train from Goerlitz!

114. Goerlitz..JPG173. Liberec, Czech Republic..JPG

MarcVD

Another one really worth it : the line going south of Sofia, Bulgaria, to the Greek border. I had the chance to do it in 2015, when there were still two Greek coaches going all the way from Sofia to Thessaloniki. Attached to a local Bulgarian train to the border, then hauled by a Greek loco till Strimon, where the line from Bulgaria joins the one from Alexandropoulis. Then wait in a siding for the next IC from Alexandropoulis to arrive, for the final leg to Thessaloniki. Today the greek section till Strimon is done in a bus. But fortunately, the most scenic part is on Bulgaria and can still be done today. It is a valley line, following a spectacular river, with really stunning scenery. For those who want to do it all by train, I think there is still a weekly train to and from Bucharest, summer only.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Another one really worth it : the line going south of Sofia, Bulgaria, to the Greek border. I had the chance to do it in 2015, when there were still two Greek coaches going all the way from Sofia to Thessaloniki. Attached to a local Bulgarian train to the border, then hauled by a Greek loco till Strimon, where the line from Bulgaria joins the one from Alexandropoulis. Then wait in a siding for the next IC from Alexandropoulis to arrive, for the final leg to Thessaloniki. Today the greek section till Strimon is done in a bus. But fortunately, the most scenic part is on Bulgaria and can still be done today. It is a valley line, following a spectacular river, with really stunning scenery. For those who want to do it all by train, I think there is still a weekly train to and from Bucharest, summer only.
Did it last year on the once weekly overnight train, unfortunately that killed any chance of seeing any scenery.

calopez

I'd certainly second Alfie1014's remarks re the north of Spain metre gauge. Some 1200 kilometres, and scarcely a dud amongst them. Even parts of the Bilbao metro are scenic! I don't understand why it's not better known.

Better still is the broad gauge line between León and Oviedo, over the Pajares pass. Utterly spectacular but I had no idea it existed until I travelled on it. Unfortunately it will soon be a victim of the fad for shoving railways into long tunnels.

peteb

Goerlitz is a very beautiful town, and a great place to stay to explore the local area. If you've seen the Kate Winslet film The Reader, or The Book Thief, you've been to Goerlitz; you just don't know it. A day trip to Liberic in the Czech Republic is just one interesting day excursion you can make by train from Goerlitz!

View attachment 83993View attachment 83994
I'm looking forward to going. Also Liberec has a tram system taking you to a cable car to a tv tower on a hilltop I believe, very eastern european but worth the detour?

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm looking forward to going. Also Liberec has a tram system taking you to a cable car to a tv tower on a hilltop I believe, very eastern european but worth the detour?

We used the tram to get from Liberic railway station down the hill to the town centre. We used a Euro Neisse one day rover ticket that included the train all the way from Goerlitz and the tram in Liberic. Details of this ticket (also valid in part of Poland) here:

If I remember correctly, the ticket even covered a journey on the narrow gauge steam railway from Zittau to Kurort Oybin & Kurort Jonsdorf, although I had to pay some sort of "historical supplement" of about 5 Euros at the steam railway ticket office as well.

176. Our tram back to the railway station in Liberec..JPG146. Running round at Kurort Oybin..JPG

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Zermatt to St Moritz, lots of beautiful scenery and a lot of climbing

Shrewsbury to Newport

Last edited:

SHD

The Puteaux to Saint-Cloud section of the Paris Saint Lazare - Versailles Rive Droite line offers a truly splendid view of Paris.

Iskra

Established Member
Got the train from Rome to Perugia once. That was really spectacular, mountains, plains, hill cities

Italy has a lot to offer this thread as most of Italy is either hilly or coastal. I have been very lucky to travel a lot of it as I visit every year.

Personally, I really enjoy Napoli to Reggio Di Calabria. It has everything; mountains, ravines, stunning blue seas, beaches, castles, hill cities, volcanoes, climbs, descents, old narrow gauge railways connecting into it and it's a busy mainline railway itself.

Even more obscure, I also like the Italian 'old road' of the above line; the Ionian Line between Reggio Do Calabria to Locri in particular, it's like the Italian version of the Cumbrian Coast.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Clermont Ferrand to Nimes; Arvant to Neussargues to Beziers; Grenoble to Gap; Valence to Gap via Die; Aix to Chamonix to Martigny; La Tour de Carol to Perpignan; but maybe these too well known; less appreciated might be Lyon to Paray le Monial through wooded hills and featuring a spiral climb; Clermont Ferrand to Volvic climbing steeply out of Clermont in a circle; St Etienne to Le Puy en Velay twisting along pretty gorges;
The upper end of Latour to Perpignan (specifically the "petit train jaune" section) was mentioned in my OP as one that does get a lot of coverage, but I wouldn't say it was "over-appreciated". I've not ridden the standard gauge section east of Villefranche but have travelled the parallel road, and even that section is quite scenic- a bit like the equivalent route on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees.

Thought the Clermont-Ferrand to Volvic line had closed, though it does look like it would be a great ride, if not the fastest!

peteb

The upper end of Latour to Perpignan (specifically the "petit train jaune" section) was mentioned in my OP as one that does get a lot of coverage, but I wouldn't say it was "over-appreciated". I've not ridden the standard gauge section east of Villefranche but have travelled the parallel road, and even that section is quite scenic- a bit like the equivalent route on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees.

Thought the Clermont-Ferrand to Volvic line had closed, though it does look like it would be a great ride, if not the fastest!
Just rechecked Bahn.de and Clermont to Volvic still open though appears to have rush hour only service plus a mid day return journey. A reduced Covid timetable I expect. Sadly Volvic onwards to Mont Dore now closed to passengers but still open (just) for freight.

ashkeba

Established Member
Definitely - I’ve always liked that line, although I’m unlikely to do it again any time soon as the service has been downgraded to suburban EMUs from the nice CFL 3000+SNCB I6 stock.
I think they used I10 for the last few years. While Desiros lack romance, they don't have bars across the windows.

D6130

Established Member
Curiously the G&SW line to Greenock West and Princes Pier crossed over the Caledonian line to Largs east of Lynedoch but there appears to have been no connection - at least for passengers.

The Isle of Wight dialect is a series of incoherent mumbles, followed by, “*******, mainlanders”. After seventeen years I still find myself thinking, “What language is that?”, and then realising it is a local muttering.

Italy has a lot to offer this thread as most of Italy is either hilly or coastal. I have been very lucky to travel a lot of it as I visit every year.

The best of luck to them but hopefully it will prove worthwhile and not another white elephant designed merely to placate local interests

Didn't the melting snow/ice ingestion problem cancel a days services? I remember being on a London service from Brussels that turned back at Calais.

I too travel to Italy - more than once a year, since retiring - as we have a holiday home there. As you rightly point out, there are some fantastically scenic lines, especially in the central and Southern parts of the country. Apart from the well-known lines in the North and the others that you have mentioned, I can highly recommend the following routes for scenic splendour:

FIrenze - Faenza (the through services are all DMU-operated, but the connecting services to/from Borgo San Lorenzo via Pontassieve are still mainly D445 push-pull sets).

(Roma)-Orte-Fabriano-Falconara - (Ancona)

Terni - Rieti - L' Aquila - Sulmona

Roma - Avezzano - Sulmona - Pescara

Avezzano - Roccasecca - (Cassino)

Sulmona - Castel di Sangro - Carpenone - (Isernia) (now only special tourist trains)

(Napoli) - Caserta - Benevento - Foggia - (Bari)

(Napoli) - Battipaglia - Potenza - Metaponto - (Taranto) and connecting branches - standard, narrow and mixed gauges North of Potenza

Cosenza - Pedace- Camigliatello - San Giovanni in Fiore (narrow gauge with occasional steam tourist trains)

Cosenza - Catanzaro (narrow gauge with rack sections)

Most lines in Sicily, especially Palermo/Agrigento - Catania, Siracusa - Gela and the narrow gauge Circumetnea line around Europe's highest and most active volcano

......and not forgetting our very pretty local line in Eastern Tuscany, the TFT branch from Arezzo to Pratovecchio-Stia.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Line C9 of the Madrid Cercanias system.

It connects Madrid to the Guadarrama Mountains via the Navacerrada Pass.

Lovely scenery, and walking in the Guadarrama mountains can easily be done as a day trip from Madrid.

WideRanger

The combination of the Ebino-Kogen Line and the Hisatsu Line from Yatsushiro to Hayato in Japan is stunning and super relaxed. And very unappreciated. And happens to be the only way to get to Kagoshima using the Seishun-18 ticket.

I too travel to Italy - more than once a year, since retiring - as we have a holiday home there. As you rightly point out, there are some fantastically scenic lines, especially in the central and Southern parts of the country. Apart from the well-known lines in the North and the others that you have mentioned, I can highly recommend the following routes for scenic splendour:

FIrenze - Faenza (the through services are all DMU-operated, but the connecting services to/from Borgo San Lorenzo via Pontassieve are still mainly D445 push-pull sets).

(Roma)-Orte-Fabriano-Falconara - (Ancona)

Terni - Rieti - L' Aquila - Sulmona

Roma - Avezzano - Sulmona - Pescara

Avezzano - Roccasecca - (Cassino)

Sulmona - Castel di Sangro - Carpenone - (Isernia) (now only special tourist trains)

(Napoli) - Caserta - Benevento - Foggia - (Bari)

(Napoli) - Battipaglia - Potenza - Metaponto - (Taranto) and connecting branches - standard, narrow and mixed gauges North of Potenza

Cosenza - Pedace- Camiletto - San Giovanni in Fiore (narrow gauge with occasional steam tourist trains)

Cosenza - Catanzaro (narrow gauge with rack sections)

Most lines in Sicily, especially Palermo/Agrigento - Catania, Siracusa - Gela and the narrow gauge Circumetnea line around Europe's highest and most active volcano

......and not forgetting our very pretty local line in Eastern Tuscany, the TFT branch from Arezzo to Pratovecchio-Stia.
I traveled on the narrow gauge FC Calabro-Lucane from Cosenza to Catanzaro in the 1970's. It is indeed a very scenic line through mountain country but I believe that through traffic had been halted due to a landslide. Has this been repaired now? I wouldn't mind doing the line again when circumstances permit.

raetiamann

I've been on many scenic journeys but the one I found absolutely amazing was from Andermatt to Disentis on the MGB. The line climbs to the east on the rack, into tunnel and eventually emerges high into a mountain vista. The first time I did the journey it was a bright and clear day, so a real eye popping moment.

The other small section I can never do too often is from Bregenz to Lindau, or vice versa, along the shore of the Bodensee. Only a short section but the line hugs the eastern shore of the lake, before crossing over the causeway onto the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.