• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Unused Features in rolling stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
The prototype HST power cars had (have) a driving cab at the "blunt end" too. I seem to remember it was mooted they could be used on overnight parcels/newspaper trains.

Someone mentioned HST usage on freight trains?
weird.jpg

I don't know if it's been photoshopped or real, if it's been shopped, they've done a good job. *edit: I definitely think it's shopped.

This is the rear cab on the Prototype, which I think was also incorperated on the production HSTs.

16458783508_784fb8efa6_n.jpg

16460182909_76e707054c.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Melancholia

weird.jpg

I don't know if it's been photoshopped or real, if it's been shopped, they've done a good job.

This is the rear cab on the Prototype, which I think was also incorperated on the production HSTs.

16458783508_784fb8efa6_n.jpg

16460182909_76e707054c.jpg

All three of these images are confusing my mind too much :shock:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There was no rear driving cab on production variations, just a window for the guards use.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
The conductor signal to the driver is unused on the Southern 455's.

It really, really isn't.

It's used every time a 455 works between Dorking and Horsham, and between Leatherhead and Guildford. Those routes are yet to be cleared for DOO, in the former case only for stock still without bodyside cameras.

Plus you'll find the odd Metro service elsewhere which still pops up on conductor diagrams. Lastly, Selhurst conductors still have to do route learning on them from time to time, again on whichever Metro services are required, which includes full dispatch competency.

I'll freely admit that the bells sometimes think they're not used and therefore don't work very well...

physics34

Established Member
You've just been really unlucky then - some of them definitely do still work.

The cupboards really aren't that interesting, but I guess you may as well...

im gonnahave to try them all now youve told me that!

dubscottie

weird.jpg

I don't know if it's been photoshopped or real, if it's been shopped, they've done a good job. *edit: I definitely think it's shopped.

100% photoshopped. That was in "The Railway Magazine" many moons ago as an example of not what to send them for publication.

I read somewhere that the 317's had a "fail soft" system when first introduced on the Bed-Pan route. In DOO, the train would continue to the next station if the driver passed out etc.

Was it ever used?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Chiltern's 168/2s and 172s have Guards door control panels by some of the saloon doors (one per side in each vehicle), though I don't believe they're connected up.

Staying with the 168s, they also have an on-board wheelchair ramp in a cupboard by the accessible toilet, but these are rarely (if ever) used, with station ramps being preferred.

najaB

Veteran Member
I read somewhere that the 317's had a "fail soft" system when first introduced on the Bed-Pan route. In DOO, the train would continue to the next station if the driver passed out etc.

Was it ever used?
(Checks date, nope not April yet).

I hope not. Sounds dangerous to me.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The hand dryers on 700s are tripped out of use due to a revision of the safety precautions taken after the fire on 377442 at Eastbourne, which may have been caused by faulty/degraded hand drier wiring. Whether they will be replaced with another variant remains to be seen...

SWT have also isolated the hand dryers on Desiros for the same reason.

The destination blind above the gangway doors on the class 442s were only used for a very short time before it became clear they hopeless.

In the cab of every Class 444 and Class 450 on the secondmans side is a Nokia phone handset (akin to a Nokia 1610) none of which have ever been used I don't think.

J-2739

Established Member

The destination blind above the gangway doors on the class 442s were only used for a very short time before it became clear they hopeless.

In the cab of every Class 444 and Class 450 on the secondmans side is a Nokia phone handset (akin to a Nokia 1610) none of which have ever been used I don't think.

Interesting, the Nokia handset feature. What was it supposed to be used for (I'm guessing not making a phone call to your mum as that will be quite distractin!;))

Class455

Established Member
It really, really isn't.

It's used every time a 455 works between Dorking and Horsham, and between Leatherhead and Guildford. Those routes are yet to be cleared for DOO, in the former case only for stock still without bodyside cameras.

Plus you'll find the odd Metro service elsewhere which still pops up on conductor diagrams. Lastly, Selhurst conductors still have to do route learning on them from time to time, again on whichever Metro services are required, which includes full dispatch competency.

I'll freely admit that the bells sometimes think they're not used and therefore don't work very well...
I see, I've personally never heard them but I've only used them to Caterham/Tattenham Corner and on the Sutton line so that's probably why. Whilst the SWT ones are never DOO and the bells are always pressed.

Last edited:

Haven't seen any class 380s doubled up since testing, 7 years ago (crikey, 7 years already!). I guess the gangways only purpose is to impede the driver as much as possible.

380s run in 6 and 7 car formation every single day of the week on Ayrshire and Inverclyde services. Also run as a 6 to North Berwick on a Saturday for some services.

satisnek

It was difficult to obtain low-voltage DC from higher-voltage DC until the advent of affordable power electronics, as transformers only work on AC. The traditional way of lighting trams was to connect light bulbs in series so their total voltage rating was the same as the line voltage. I expect the same was done for older third rail EMUs.

I think you'll find that the rotary convertor (or motor-generator set) came in long before power electronics :) I believe that the 1938 tube stock was the first to have these in the UK, the 1951 EPB stock was the first on the SR, don't know about other EMU stock.

satisnek

An obscure one is the auto-announcement system originally fitted to the Mark 2d stock introduced on the ECML in the early 1970s. In those pre-digital, pre GPS days it used a tape cartridge with the announcements ("We will shortly be arriving at..." etc.) recorded sequentially (presumably separated by cue tones, perhaps on another track?) and an axle revolution counter to calculate the mileage and hence the point at which to play each announcement. From what I have read, it wasn't perfectly reliable and didn't last long in service. The rest of the PA system, including the guard's microphone, however, was obviously a highly successful innovation...

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The guards/parcels area on 442s (before they got converted to seating areas for Gatwick Express). I can only remember ever seeing used for bike storage

ert47

Speaking of the original trams, the Request Stop buttons are being removed as they're refurbished.

They're being removed on the original CR4000 trams, but the buttons are available on the newer Stadler trams and they wont be up for refurb for a while..

Ash Bridge

Established Member
An obscure one is the auto-announcement system originally fitted to the Mark 2d stock introduced on the ECML in the early 1970s. In those pre-digital, pre GPS days it used a tape cartridge with the announcements ("We will shortly be arriving at..." etc.) recorded sequentially (presumably separated by cue tones, perhaps on another track?) and an axle revolution counter to calculate the mileage and hence the point at which to play each announcement. From what I have read, it wasn't perfectly reliable and didn't last long in service. The rest of the PA system, including the guard's microphone, however, was obviously a highly successful innovation...

That would be the Ripper Robots Ltd. Auto-Navigation System, it was also set to play music over the mk2d's PA speaker system when the train was standing in the station, l can remember once a Deltic hauled service at York that had arrived from Kings Cross, walking past the open doors music could clearly be heard playing over the vestibule area speakers.

fgwrich

Established Member

Are you sure about the Hand dryers? The 444s I've had this week have both been working. Albeit to the usual low levels as usual.

Although clearly Bombardier stock hasn't been as affected, as the Chiltern 168 decided to throw full storm mode at me yesterday water air water air water water air water water air!

That would be the Ripper Robots Ltd. Auto-Navigation System, it was also set to play music over the mk2d's PA speaker system when the train was standing in the station, l can remember once a Deltic hauled service at York that had arrived from Kings Cross, walking past the open doors music could clearly be heard playing over the vestibule area speakers.

That sounds brilliant! A little naff, but I love the idea of being able to play music through the train.

Last edited:

JohnElliott

I think you'll find that the rotary convertor (or motor-generator set) came in long before power electronics :) I believe that the 1938 tube stock was the first to have these in the UK, the 1951 EPB stock was the first on the SR, don't know about other EMU stock.

The 1930s express stock on the SR (6PUL, 5BEL and so on) had motor generators and 70v control circuits. The 4SUBs, though later, did everything at line voltage for compatibility with the existing SUB fleet.

atomicdanny

not sure if it counts, but the dual voltage on a 365? It has been used as 3rd rail and Overhead separately but not both?

Established Member
Going by my last few trips, Coach G is a pretty much unused feature of an 11 car Pendolino. [emoji38]

D365

Veteran Member
not sure if it counts, but the dual voltage on a 365? It has been used as 3rd rail and Overhead separately but not both?

Don't think that it was ever designed as a true 'dual-voltage' unit.

craigybagel

Established Member
Are you sure about the Hand dryers? The 444s I've had this week have both been working. Albeit to the usual low levels as usual.

Although clearly Bombardier stock hasn't been as affected, as the Chiltern 168 decided to throw full storm mode at me yesterday water air water air water water air water water air!

I know on the units at my TOC on units that use the dryer we've isolated the heating element of the dryers because of the issue. They still blow air, its just at the ambient temperature. Perhaps SWT have done the same?

On Moderation
I know on the units at my TOC on units that use the dryer we've isolated the heating element of the dryers because of the issue. They still blow air, its just at the ambient temperature. Perhaps SWT have done the same?
Then they should be fixed properly. Why does the railway struggle to provide decent toilet facilities that include a working bog and sensible soap, water and hot air facilities? It is an utter joke.

MikePJ

The guards/parcels area on 442s (before they got converted to seating areas for Gatwick Express). I can only remember ever seeing used for bike storage

When I was a teenager (early-mid 1990s), I travelled to and from Portsmouth Harbour station to go to school. In the springtime, polystyrene boxes containing freshly-dug wet garlic would arrive on the fast ferry from the Isle of Wight, and be loaded into the guards' compartment of the 1606 express to London, in order to be delivered to smart restaurants the same evening! Pretty sure this unusual traffic survived into the 442 era on the Portsmouth Line.

Ianigsy

There's several instances of this, Class 313/317 blinds showing destinations such as Spalding and even (if I recall correctly) on a closed former Midland branch.

Headbolt Lane was the one on Merseyrail units- it also appeared on the Solari indicator at Moorfields, along with Ormskirk via Marsh Lane (or words to that effect).

Somewhere in a drawer I still have a pair of Virgin branded headphones from a trip from Leeds to Edinburgh on a First Class advance in 2004- as I recall, quite a pleasant way to spend the return journey listening to an evening's output on Radio 4.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

What sort of music would it have been Mr B, are we talking Brahms or the Sex Pistols? :D

Strathclyder

Established Member
Haven't seen any class 380s doubled up since testing, 7 years ago (crikey, 7 years already!). I guess the gangways only purpose is to impede the driver as much as possible.

380 multiple working is a daily occurrence on both the Ayrshire Coast and Inverclyde Lines, as far as I'm aware. Due to restrictive platform lengths along both lines, a 7 car formation (1 380/0 & 380/1) is the maximum allowed. On those two lines at least, the benefits of the gangways outweigh the downsides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.