• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Unusual diesel loco combinations in the BR era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
This is a rather good one of a 25 and 31 hauling an HST from this thread:

Just found another 31+25 combo hauling a ballast train through Crewe, a day short of a month after the above pair (from the Chris Morrison Flickr collection). Drifting slightly off-topic, but both 25s in these images made it into preservation, while the 2 31s were eventually scrapped after withdrawal in the early 90s lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47296lastduff

I had D135 (later 45149) piloting Jubilee 45682 Trafalgar from Burton to Derby on Sat 27/01/62. The train was the Devonian.
I can also recall seeing a steam loco piloting a Western into Birmingham Snow Hill (from the South) sometime early 1960s, and I think this type of thing was fairly common.

AJM580

S & C special southbound out of Carlisle - 31/12/91 was 2 x 26 + 47 (26011/26040/47475)
Also had 31404/31447/47594 all powering on the Paignton - Liverpool turn June 1986. Picked it up at Newton Abbot, and at Exeter the 31s came off and 47594 carried on alone.

Had 2 x 58 on the Leicester Looper tours Sept 1992 (58034/58050)

Strathclyder

Established Member
Nearly forgot about this:

58017+40086 on 3rd November 1984. The latter had run out of fuel at Didcot while on the Swindon Ambassador III railtour (running from Bolton to erm... well, Swindon and back) and the former was commandeered to haul it to Reading for refueling. While 017 didn't actually haul the train at any point, I'm not aware of any other occasion where a Whistler was seen in tandem with a Bone in BR days.

(all copyrights of the linked images remain with their owners)

Strathclyder

Established Member
Bumping this thread up for this, courtesy of the fabulous Derby Sulzers (image #1) & Napier Chronicles (images #2 & #3; all three images copyright of Mike Cooper) sites. Depending on your allegiance, these 3 images will either warm the cockles of your heart or make you want to throw the proverbial leg out of bed lol ;)

26029delticaberdeen.jpg

55017_26029_ferryhill_27.10.80_2_mc.jpg

55017_26029_ferryhill_27.10.80_3_mc.jpg

26029 piloting 55017 The Durham Light Infantry at the head of 1G80 (14:40 Aberdeen - Edinburgh) on 27th October 1980 due to a faulty speedo on the latter. Caught on the approach to Aberdeen Ferryhill depot. The quote below from Steve Dunn (taken from Napier Chronicles; he was a apprentice electrician at Ferryhill at the time) explains why the 26 was piloting on this occasion:

"Ferryhill MPD carried no spares for Deltics, thus we had to pilot it with a class 26. First thoughts were to turn it on the turntable at the depot but weighing 100 tons it was decided not to go for it!! So hence the 26 was used for a pilot"

Ken H

On Moderation
Bumping this thread up for this, courtesy of the fabulous Derby Sulzers (image #1) & Napier Chronicles (images #2 & #3; all three images copyright of Mike Cooper) sites. Depending on your allegiance, these 3 images will either warm the cockles of your heart or make you want to throw the proverbial leg out of bed lol ;)

View attachment 115397

View attachment 115398

View attachment 115399

26029 piloting 55017 The Durham Light Infantry at the head of 1G80 (14:40 Aberdeen - Edinburgh) on 27th October 1980 due to a faulty speedo on the latter. Caught on the approach to Aberdeen Ferryhill depot. The quote below from Steve Dunn (taken from Napier Chronicles; he was a apprentice electrician at Ferryhill at the time) explains why the 26 was piloting on this occasion:
Did 26 just drag it or was there a driver on the Deltic? I dont think Deltics were ever MU fitted.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Did 26 just drag it or was there a driver on the Deltic? I dont think Deltics were ever MU fitted.

I would think two drivers and both locos powering probably. I’ve seen similar things happen before.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Did the AC electrics ever work in multiple with different class numbers? Double heading of any kind (bar the 86/6) was always pretty rare though I believe.
I came across this a few weeks ago which may be of interest in this respect:

(84003 & 86019 lead a northbound freightliner - presumably Coatbridge-bound - on the approach to Carstairs Junction - 28th October 1980. The 84 would be withdrawn 33 days later. Copyright of Flickr's Bruce Galloway)

I would think two drivers and both locos powering probably. I’ve seen similar things happen before.
There would have been drivers for both locos, as the Deltics were never MU-fitted as @Ken H correctly points out. The following quote by Mike Cooper (also from Napier Chronicles) on this combo aptly demonstrates that 017 was still more than able to contribute power, it just being a dodgy speedo that landed it with the McRat as a pilot:

'As they headed out towards the Dee the Deltic erupted into life giving the class 26 a push from the rear rather like shooting the proverbial rat up a drainpipe at mach 2!!'

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I came across this a few weeks ago which may be of interest in this respect:

(84003 & 86019 lead a northbound freightliner - presumably Coatbridge-bound - on the approach to Carstairs Junction - 28th October 1980. The 84 would be withdrawn 33 days later. Copyright of Flickr's Bruce Galloway)

There would have been drivers for both locos, as the Deltics were never MU-fitted as @Ken H correctly points out. The following quote by Mike Cooper (also from Napier Chronicles) on this combo aptly demonstrates that the 017 was still more than able to contribute power:

'As they headed out towards the Dee the Deltic erupted into life giving the class 26 a push from the rear rather like shooting the proverbial rat up a drainpipe at mach 2!!'

Love it. :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 115397

View attachment 115398

View attachment 115399

Brilliant! And I have no issues over allegiance - I like Baby Sulzers and I like Deltics.

My favourite pairing though is 37+55 on the Down Aberdonian, all the way from King's Cross to York! Just as well 37s have the same design of bogies and the same 106mph traction motor gearing as Deltics! I bet the combo probably did near enough 106!

I thought that. A 26 would struggle with thhe deltic and the train.
In tandem working would've been essential to keep time. So yes, two drivers.

As they headed out towards the Dee the Deltic erupted into life giving the class 26 a push from the rear rather like shooting the proverbial rat up a drainpipe at mach 2!!'
I love the comment! Very at home on the Far North and Kyle, not so good on Class 1s on the Aberdeen-Edinburgh mainline even with the 75mph ceiling in force then.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I love the comment!
One of the best such comments I think I've ever seen. Can only imagine what it must've been like being 26029's driver here and feeling that surge of power for the first time and hearing that oh-so distinictive drone over the 'shredding' of the McRat.

Brilliant! And I have no issues over allegiance - I like Baby Sulzers and I like Deltics.
I sensed that you'd like this one either way. ;)

My favourite pairing though is 37+55 on the Down Aberdonian, all the way from King's Cross to York! Just as well 37s have the same design of bogies and the same 106mph traction motor gearing as Deltics! I bet the combo probably did near enough 106!
Pity no pics of that exact 37+55 pairing exist, but I found this which may give one a rough idea as to what it looked like:

37045_55005_31143_doncaster_6.7.78_gpc.jpg

(37045 & 55005 The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire at Doncaster with 1S17 (09:00 King's Cross - Edinburgh) on 6th July 1978. The 37 had taken over from 31143, which had piloted the train from London and can be seen headed back south on the middle road. Original slide owned by Graeme Philips, from Napier Chronicles)

Very at home on the Far North and Kyle, not so good on Class 1s on the Aberdeen-Edinburgh mainline even with the 75mph ceiling in force then.
Yeah, well off patch on the Class 1 Aberdeen-Edinburgh mainline. Just as well all that was wrong with 017 there was a dodgy speedo all things considered!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
One of the best such comments I think I've ever seen. Can only imagine what it must've been like being 26029's driver here and feeling that surge of power for the first time and hearing that oh-so distinictive drone over the 'shredding' of the McRat.
Probably something said to the second man like: "whit's up wi' 029 mate, you bin givin' her a wee dram or somethin'?"

Whisky has more uses than simply quenching the thirst you know... ;)

In a similar vein, there is a log somewhere of a 31 being put out on an ECML top link job the booked 47 failed. The 47's engine was still ticking-over do she was left on for ETH, but the traction motor overload kept tripping. A few miles before Stoke, the 47's crew managed to rectify the fault and Stoke was topped at 95! Only for the fault to redevelop coming down the other side.

On arrival at journeys end the crew of the 31 are said to have remarked that it was the only 31 they ever knew to be faster going uphill than down! :lol:

I sensed that you'd like this one either way.
My traction preferences that well-known now are they! :rolleyes::lol:

Pity no pics of that exact 37+55 pairing exist, but I found this which may give one a rough idea as to what it looked like:
On the contrary, there's at least two of the 37+55 on the Down Aberdonian arriving at York:

This is the best one IMO:
(Copyright John Turner flickr)

Yeah, well off patch on the Class 1 Aberdeen-Edinburgh mainline. Just as well all that was wrong with 017 there was a dodgy speedo all things considered!
Very true!

Strathclyder

Established Member
Probably something said to the second man like: "whit's up wi' 029 mate, you bin givin' her a wee dram or somethin'?"

Whisky has more uses than simply quenching the thirst you know... ;)
I don't drink, but I'm well aware of whiskey's side effects regardless. ;)

In a similar vein, there is a log somewhere of a 31 being put out on an ECML top link job the booked 47 failed. The 47's engine was still ticking-over do she was left on for ETH, but the traction motor overload kept tripping. A few miles before Stoke, the 47's crew managed to rectify the fault and Stoke was topped at 95! Only for the fault to redevelop coming down the other side.

On arrival at journeys end the crew of the 31 are said to have remarked that it was the only 31 they ever knew to be faster going uphill than down! :lol:
Brilliant. ;)

My traction preferences that well-known now are they! :rolleyes::lol:
As well-known as mine, so it balances out in that respect LOL

On the contrary, there's at least two of the 37+55 on the Down Aberdonian arriving at York:

This is the best one IMO:
(Copyright John Turner flickr)
D'oh, I knew I'd seen that one before, just somehow never twigged it was the same working you were talking about. Same Deltic (55005) as in my example above too, oddly enough lol

hexagon789

Veteran Member
D'oh, I knew I'd seen that one before, just somehow never twigged it was the same working you were talking about. Same Deltic (55005) as in my example above too, oddly enough lol
Actually, I have a suspicion now thar the pther photo is not the Aberdonian in 1978 but is the train in the photo you linked. Mr Philips is one of many Flickr accounts I follow ;)

Ken H

On Moderation
On 37 bashes. I was travelling to Manchester and was at Crewe. The booked 155 was replaced by a 37 and 4. Time of the dodgy door debacle. Late train + driver with a grudge gave me half an hour of unsilenced EE V12 bliss.

randyrippley

Established Member
On Dawlish sea wall, summer 1971
Exeter-bound local freight hauled by a 22 and 25, both under power even though the train was only 6-7 wagons
Sorry no idea of numbers

Strathclyder

Established Member
On Dawlish sea wall, summer 1971
Exeter-bound local freight hauled by a 22 and 25, both under power even though the train was only 6-7 wagons
Sorry no idea of numbers
Two crews required there of course due to the differing MU systems (Orange Square/White Diamond for the 22, Blue Star for the 25). Still, that Sulzer/MAN combo must've sounded odd to say the least.

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I had D135 (later 45149) piloting Jubilee 45682 Trafalgar from Burton to Derby on Sat 27/01/62. The train was the Devonian.
Noting that this was January - there is a very good chance the Jubilee was put on to provide steam heating if the steam generator in the 45 was giving trouble - which they often did! Mind you, in early 1962, D135 would probably have only been just ex-Works.
I can also recall seeing a steam loco piloting a Western into Birmingham Snow Hill (from the South) sometime early 1960s, and I think this type of thing was fairly common.
In the early 60s, yes, not so unusual.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Noting that this was January - there is a very good chance the Jubilee was put on to provide steam heating if the steam generator in the 45 was giving trouble - which they often did! Mind you, in early 1962, D135 would probably have only been just ex-Works.
D135 entered traffic on 30/12/61 so still plenty of time for the steam generator to pack up!!!

Strathclyder

Established Member
I think I've managed to nail down a date, working and a bit of context for this one: 1S61 07:47 Cardiff Central to Glasgow Central on 25th February 1986. 50032 had expired on the Lickey Incline and 58017 was summoned to drag it and it's train to New Street.

Linked image of the ensemble passing Birmingham University below (copyright of Flickr's LusitaniaD225).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I've managed to nail down a date, working and a bit of context for this one: 1S61 07:47 Cardiff Central to Glasgow Central on 25th February 1986. 50032 had expired on the Lickey Incline and 58017 was summoned to drag it and it's train to New Street.

Linked image of the ensemble passing Birmingham University below (copyright of Flickr's LusitaniaD225).

Apologies if you’ve seen it already but the next photo after that is of the 58 backing onto the train which is pretty cool.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Apologies if you’ve seen it already but the next photo after that is of the 58 backing onto the train which is pretty cool.
I actually hadn't seen it (found the first image while browsing Virgin XC loco substitutes, a different topic/era entirely!), cheers for letting me know either way. :) The same Flickr user also has a rather atmospheric shot of the ensemble arriving at New St. Both are linked below for those who can't access the original links.

He also has a shot (from behind a 27 on a Dundee-bound train) of a 20+37 combo at Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh with a MGR dating from July 1986:

Last edited:

EveningStar

I was once at Birmingham New St when a failed Peak arrived from the Bristol direction, propelled in the rear by a 25+37 combination.

At a guess, late 1974. At the time the Lickey Bankers were experimentally a class 25+37 combination (before settling on the more sensible 2x37 arrangement), so presumably summoned to push the failed Peak into Birmingham New Street.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Some combos I recently came across in a book in the library (not all necessarily unusual, but may be of interest):

24+40 on the Aberdeen-York, summer 1971

24+47 on the Aberdeen-York, summer 1970

26+45 on 1620 Aberdeen-York, Late August 1982

26+47 on Aberdeen-York, c. 1970

26043+37184 on 1735 Inverness-Wick/Thurso, Autumn 1982

D5326+D5327+unid. 26 on Suns 1930 Inv-Eus "Royal Highlander"

D6129+D6103 on Glasgow-Ft William, c. 1968

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
There has been no mention of pairs of D6300 Type 2s, in use on summer Saturdays in the early sixties, to assist over the South Devon banks. They were usually in pairs because of reliability issues, but could be seen weekly assisting Castles, Halls and Granges on Saturday traffic throughout those summers.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Some combos I recently came across in a book in the library (not all necessarily unusual, but may be of interest):

26+47 on Aberdeen-York, c. 1970
Puts me in mind of this from Flickr's 6089Gardener, showing 26010 piloting failed 47406 on the 14:25 Stranraer - Glasgow Central on 13th July 1988. Caught passing Kilwinning:

And this one (also from 6089Gardener) of 26007 & 47443 pulling into Carlisle with the 10:45 from Leeds (via the S&C) on 24th February 1990:

24+45 on 1620 Aberdeen-York, Late August 1982
I'm wagering you meant to put 1972 here? ;)

D6129+D6103 on Glasgow-Ft William, c. 1968
Not so much an unusual combo (both of those locos had been rebuilt as 29s by 1968), but one I'd have paid good money to be hauled by, particularly up Cowlairs, through the Lambhill & Dalreoch Tunnels and up the bank from Craigendoran to Helensburgh Upper.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Puts me in mind of this from Flickr's 6089Gardener, showing 26010 piloting failed 47406 on the 14:25 Stranraer - Glasgow Central on 13th July 1988. Caught passing Kilwinning:
Nice one, wouldn't fancy performance over the banks mind you!

I'm wagering you meant to put 1972 here? ;)
Yes! I've gone back to fix that

Not so much an unusual combo (both of those locos would have been converted to 29s by 1968), but one I'd have paid good money to be hauled by, particularly up Cowlairs, through the Lambhill & Dalreoch Tunnels and up the bank from Craigendoran to Helensburgh Upper
Interstesting, I always associated them with the CR Mainline and Glasgow-Dundee/Aberdeen workings being replaced by A2/A3/A4s and Stanier 5s due to unreliability. Then appearing on GNoSR metals such as Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Buckie etc.

(There is a famous photo of one crossing the Cullen viaducts with a two coach Aberdeen via Buckie service in the 60s.)

Status
Not open for further replies.