• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Unusual "refurbishments"

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah, those were the VOPs - of which 2 survived at Chart Leacon until it's closure by Bombardier - One ended up being chopped (like so many units sadly) for the Brighton Belle, The other is now in pres in Dartmoor. The JOPs IIRC are / were the Junipers?

Isnt or wasn't there an ex East Midlands TGS in the East Coast fleet that was for some time running around with ex FGW Dynamic Lines Seats along side the original Ex BR IC70s?

458s as built were 4JOPs. The 460s were 8GATs. Presumably they're now 5JOPs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Wasn't there a CEP (?) That was painted in heritage green for a while during the horrors of the Connex era?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
142005 has it's seat tops painted purple, it was the first one done under FNW and no others got done.

142042 and 142044 didn't have their Merseyrail yellow grab handles painted purple when Northern did their "refresh" on them, 142042 also got treated to repainted wall/window panels in Northern purple, but none of the other Merseyrail ones did.

142042 also still had Merseyrail moquette on the tip up seat at one end of the train the last time I used it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wasn't there a CEP (?) That was painted in heritage green for a while during the horrors of the Connex era?

There was - I caught it on occasions.

I think only one was ever painted into the hideous Connex livery as well.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
142042 also still had Merseyrail moquette on the tip up seat at one end of the train the last time I used it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sometime in the last year I was on a Yorkshire Tiger bus which had one seat panel in Stagecoach rail standard class red moquette for some reason! Photo posted on the Yorkshire Tiger bus fire thread in the buses and coaches forum.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Ah, those were the VOPs - of which 2 survived at Chart Leacon until it's closure by Bombardier - One ended up being chopped (like so many units sadly) for the Brighton Belle, The other is now in pres in Dartmoor. The JOPs IIRC are / were the Junipers?

Isnt or wasn't there an ex East Midlands TGS in the East Coast fleet that was for some time running around with ex FGW Dynamic Lines Seats along side the original Ex BR IC70s?

My typo - they were indeed VOPs (and 'refurbishment' may not the best term!).

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yep, there still is: 44073 has a group of twenty Grammer seats amongst the IC70s.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
The 319/2s spent a long time running around with their snug/buffet area still intact long after they were taken off Brighton express duties. It's since been replaced with original 319 seating, despite the rest of the train having the nicer 2+2 seating and armrests, all covered in FCC moquette.

The 319/0s are pretty much as built, though the seats have been recovered in FCC moquette. They still have Eddie Ponds and the sliding door to the "parcels area", plus one or two seat cushions have somehow ended up being repaired with NSE moquette.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Grand Central's choice of deep purple for their First Class HSTs was always a weird one. Purple appears nowhere in their brand colours at all.

On Moderation
Yep, there still is: 44073 has a group of twenty Grammer seats amongst the IC70s.

I don't believe that is still the case. I understand it is now all IC70 after the Virgin refurbishment.

Clansman

Established Member
170470 and 170471, the only first series 170s of the SPT Rail fleet, still retain their green SPT interiors as opposed to having the Scotrail Saltire interior, despite the fact they are in Saltire livery. These are the only 2 units left out of all the Ex-SPT 170s to retain their interior. Chances are that these 2 units are among those going to Northern given they are the only first series 170s in the Scotrail fleet without first class provision.

The XC Voyager refurbishment after Arriva won the franchise was a bit odd in my opinion also, with the removal of the buffets and the upheaval of first class only, whilst standard class remaind pretty much the same.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Grand Central's choice of deep purple for their First Class HSTs was always a weird one. Purple appears nowhere in their brand colours at all.

Probably to match the 180s which have First Group purple from their former use.

387star

On Moderation
GWR's 166205. What I suspect will remain the sole example of an internal refurbishment, including leather seats in first class - although, unbelievably for such a relatively high profile unit, the first class has been mis-labelled and the interior and exterior identification mixed up!

From another era - 4CEP 7153 - the prototype for the fleet refurbishment, but which retained its sliding window top lights, when the fleet received hoppers.

Is First Class well used on the north downs line?

Sprinter153

GWR appear to have some ex MML (East Midland Trains) HST's as distinguished by the "jingle" prior to any announcement by the guard.

This only happens on one set I think and only from the intermediate PA handset in the Coach C/D vehicle. Set OC46 vehicle 42178, according to my notes. I always try to use the intermediate PA on that set :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There was also the unique 205 thumper which was refurbished so that it could run in multiple with EMU's.

It also lost 1st class and gained yellow panelling and fluorescent lighting (before it became trendy on the Southern).

Status
Not open for further replies.