• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: What bus related structures deserve a Red Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The other day, I noticed a Transport Trust Red Wheel plaque and prompted my thought... There are plenty of listed railway stations and the Red Wheel encompasses many aspects such as filling stations, docks and bridges of various uses.

Buses don't tend to have the same significance - seem to recall there are some listed (Preston and MK bus stations, Bow bus depot) and Taunton bus station has a Red Wheel plaque. So, what do you think should be similarly recognised?

(ps no waggish "funnies" about elderly buses in lilac etc)

I have perhaps a couple that I would go for...

Middlesbrough bus station - innovative and ahead of its time, and still a superb facility as it approaches its 50th birthday

Northfleet bus depot - perhaps the last major survivor of London's Country 1930s garages

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Brislington council depot (aka Brislington bus depot and Brislington tram depot) in Bristol.
Majestic Wine in Westbury on Trym, Bristol (aka Westbury bus depot).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Middlesbrough bus station - innovative and ahead of its time, and still a superb facility as it approaches its 50th birthday

It's only a year older than me, and 35 isn't that near 50 ;)

It is a wonderful facility though. Still is ahead of its time too. And, unlike plenty of other similar projects, it was sited sensibly (unlike, say, Bradford Interchange). I just wish it wasn't quite such a hike from the X10 bus stop to the X93 stop.

Assumimg you won't let me have Craster bus station, I'd whack a red wheel on the bus garages at Newbury Park and West Ham.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's only a year older than me, and 35 isn't that near 50 ;)

It is a wonderful facility though. Still is ahead of its time too. And, unlike plenty of other similar projects, it was sited sensibly (unlike, say, Bradford Interchange). I just wish it wasn't quite such a hike from the X10 bus stop to the X93 stop.

Assumimg you won't let me have Craster bus station, I'd whack a red wheel on the bus garages at Newbury Park and West Ham.

You can have whatever you want :p

I think Middlesbrough bus station was built 1979-1981 but I was including the design bit too ;) but apparently, the council want to demolish it and move it the other side of the train station o_O

Hexham should have been one..

Hadn’t thought of that but yes, I’d go with that!

Strathclyder

Established Member
As far as Glasgow/Strathclyde is concerned, Bridgeton Bus Garage (home of the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust & located in the city's East End) would be a worthy Red Wheel recipient, if for nothing else, it's storied history and now-prominent role in Scottish vehicle preservation. The fact that it's one of the only (if not the only) ex-Glasgow Corporation garages left in use is also worthy of note.

Last edited:

Man of Kent

Stockwell bus garage

Workington bus station – usually reckoned to be the first purpose-built covered bus station

The building from Maidstone's Mill Street bus station – the first off-road bus station – now used as the cafe at the Kent & East Sussex Railway at Tenterden

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
As far as Glasgow/Strathclyde is concerned, Bridgeton Bus Garage (home of the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust & located in the city's East End) would be a worthy Red Wheel recipient, if for nothing else, it's storied history and now-prominent role in Scottish vehicle preservation. The fact that it's one of the only (if not the only) ex-Glasgow Corporation garages left in use is also worthy of note.

Stockwell bus garage

Workington bus station – usually reckoned to be the first purpose-built covered bus station

The building from Maidstone's Mill Street bus station – the first off-road bus station – now used as the cafe at the Kent & East Sussex Railway at Tenterden

A number of cracking suggestions

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The shelter at Newbury Park
Which is recognised in Grade 2 listing. I read recently that one of the reasons for its creation was that it would have been the place where travellers going to Fairlop Airport got off their tube and transferred to a bus. Fairlop Airport would have been on the site of ex RAF Fairlop, but plans for its commercial development were abandoned in the early 1950s.

Status
Not open for further replies.