• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - what's the largest town in Britain where the station has only one platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I would go with Redditch with a population of 110,000, only one station and that has one platform. Also the borough is fairly compact so there is no argument about the local authority covering more than the single town after which it is named.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
No, it isn’t. AIUI the track had to be doubled to allow the necessary train frequency in the area, but a second platform wasn’t ever on the agenda.
(A number of posts in an earlier thread about Corby in these forums reckoned it was happening when the project first surfaced around 2014, but it seems to me it was always in doubt.)

Ah, that’s where my misunderstanding stemmed from.

Parallel

Established Member
Exmouth reportedly had a population of 34,432 in 2011 and has one platform.

Barnstaple was 24,033 (in 2011) but serves as a railhead for a larger area.

duffield

Established Member
Exmouth reportedly had a population of 34,432 in 2011 and has one platform.

Barnstaple was 24,033 (in 2011) but serves as a railhead for a larger area.

Exmouth had (as far as I remember) 4 platforms when I first visited, but only one was in use.:( I've got some 'analogue' photos somewhere...

Glenn1969

Established Member
Exmouth had 4 platforms before Beeching shut the railway beyond it to Budleigh Salterton, Littleham and Sidmouth but nowadays has only 1

duffield

Established Member
Exmouth had 4 platforms before Beeching shut the railway beyond it to Budleigh Salterton, Littleham and Sidmouth but nowadays has only 1
The 4 platform station with the overgrown trackbed existed well past the Beeching era.
I walked the start of the closed Budleigh Salterton line when I was there (in about 1978), and the old station with the 4 platforms was still nearly all there - at the time the exit from the new station involved walking round the end of the old platforms - but the new single platform station had been built in/over the west corner of the old station. I think the old station building was then occupied by a carpet store or a motor parts shop. All gone now of course.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Would Wrexham Central count?

I think that would be ruled out in the same way that Stourbridge Town would be ruled out. You have Wrexham General in the same town in the same way that Stourbridge Junction is in the same town as Stourbridge Town Station and in both cases it is just a short train ride between them

Edit I had written this earlier but forgot to post it

Status
Not open for further replies.