• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: which settlement would be furthest from a rail service, if Bude loses that status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
One bit of trivia made me curious: The supplement mentions that Bude will lose its status as the town furthest of any in England from a rail service. Anyone know which town would inherit that status with an Okehampton re-opening? (my guess would be either Louth or Minehead)
That's an interesting question. Assuming it's as the crow flies, not best road route, I can't find anywhere to beat Bude, even if Okehampton is reopened.

My not-very-scientific method is scaling off an Ian Allan sectional atlas,which seems (I think!) to have a consistent if undefined scale.

Bude is almost equidistant from Gunnislake (77mm on the map), Liskeard (77mm) and Bodmin Parkway (76mm). Okehampton reduces this to 73mm (approximately - it goes across a page break). But I can't find any other town between 73mm and 77mm from its nearest NR station.

Minehead is best at 58mm from Taunton or 61mm from Tiverton Parkway. Louth is nowhere near, only 39mm from Grimsby. There are quite a few at between 40mm and 50mm, but I haven't found any others over 50mm. So unless my methodology is wrong, which is certainly possible, Bude retains its title.

Veteran Member
Using Googlemaps road routes I get similar results: 29 miles for Bude-Okehampton, which is at least 4 miles shorter than any present options; Minehead-Taunton is 24.
As the crow flies the figures would be lower in each case, but not so as to make a material difference.

topydre

Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly? 37 miles from there to Penzance.

If so, I think Hugh Town will keep the title for rather longer than Bude!

SargeNpton

Established Member
Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly? 37 miles from there to Penzance.

If so, I think Hugh Town will keep the title for rather longer than Bude!
If you are going off the mainland then some residents of the Shetland Isles may wish to dispute that. Unst to Thurso?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you are going off the mainland then some residents of the Shetland Isles may wish to dispute that. Unst to Thurso?

Stornaway by boat and road? Garve must be about the closest station. Somewhere like Lochinver on the main land ( by road?)

Mak1981

Sticking to mainland UK, Campbeltown to Girvan by crow flies is 32 miles across the clyde, or by road distance Campbeltown to Oban 86 miles got to be up there, there's a few smaller villages near Campbeltown that could increase that by a few miles

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I think for the purposes of this thread, we should restrict the discussion to the mainland (or to any island that already has a national rail service on it). Also note that my starting post specified England. I don't believe places like Thurso or Stornaway count as 'England' ;)

(Nothing against Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, it's just that this discussion originated from a magazine article referring to England, in the context of the Okehampton re-opening)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Kielder, in Northumberland, is nearly 40 miles by road from the nearest stations, at Tweedbank and Carlisle. Stretching a point to call it a town though.

Mak1981

Kielder, in Northumberland, is nearly 40 miles by road from the nearest stations, at Tweedbank and Carlisle. Stretching a point to call it a town though.

Nearest is Hexham at 35 miles from kielder by road, Haltwhistle is 19 by crow flies

InOban

Established Member
I know that this thread refers specifically to England, but famously the nearest railway station to Lerwick is Bergen...

Gloster

Established Member
I know that this thread refers specifically to England, but famously the nearest railway station to Lerwick is Bergen...
It is difficult to find a small scale map of the North Sea and my maths may be wrong, but I reckon Lerwick to Thurso is around 155 miles and Lerwick to Bergen is a bit over 200. However, when there was a catastrophic fire in Bergen in 1916, the glow was supposed to have been visible in Lerwick.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I make Lerwick 223 miles from Bergen, and 137 miles from Thurso, using Google Earth

InOban

Established Member
I think that the story refers to a WW2 recruit asked to name his nearest mainline station. And he decided that Aberdeen was the mainline station, and where the ferry from Lerwick would take him. The joke was of course that Norway was already under Nazi occupation.

If you were to extend the thread to mainland Scotland, then Campbeltown must be in the running. 96 miles by road to Arrochar.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think that the story refers to a WW2 recruit asked to name his nearest mainline station. And he decided that Aberdeen was the mainline station, and where the ferry from Lerwick would take him. The joke was of course that Norway was already under Nazi occupation.

If you were to extend the thread to mainland Scotland, then Campbeltown must be in the running. 96 miles by road to Arrochar.
I'd heard the story in reference to Shetland's former MP, Jo Grimond.

As to your latter point, Southend will be slightly further, though it is a small rural village rather than a reasonably sized town. That's another 8 miles or so beyond Campbeltown. Though of course, both are close-ish as the crow flies to Girvan (34 and 31 miles respectively).

InOban

Established Member
As the crow flies the nearest station to Southend, and possibly campbeltown also, will probably be in Northern Ireland.

Mak1981

As the crow flies the nearest station to Southend, and possibly campbeltown also, will probably be in Northern Ireland.
Cambeltown to Girvan 32 mile still closer than Larne 40 mile
Southend is 31 to girvan and 32.8 to Larne all by crow flies

Glenbarr a small village just north west of campbeltown comes in at 34 miles by crow flies to ardrossan harbour

Oban is closer to campbeltown than arrochar by road at 86 miles

21C101

Established Member
In t'old days if you applied for a job on BR you had to write the name of the nearest station on the application form so they could send you a blue ticket if called for interview.

I'm told on one occasion they had an application from a chap in Shetland who wrote Bergen [Norway] on the form and on another, a chap in Kent who wrote Dymchurch on his.

Status
Not open for further replies.