• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) your favourite special liveries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
(Serco/Abellio) Northern's Tour de France 158 was quite smart for the first week or so until it was caked in grime.

I'm generally not a fan of advertising wraps, but the Wales&West Ginsters 158 always put a smile on my face for some reason, despite that company's wares not being particularly tasty.

Already mentioned upthread, but I agree the unique SYPTE 114 was quite striking, especially as it was the days when almost everything was blue & grey, which although a very smart livery was a bit boring when it was everywhere. Even now, seeing a photo of that unit is likely to make me crave a coffee!

Oh, and the less said about 55016s hideous Porterbrook purple, the better. Likewise the "graffiti-inspired" original livery that 57601 was unveiled in.

Neptune

Established Member
I'm generally not a fan of advertising wraps, but the Wales&West Ginsters 158 always put a smile on my face for some reason, despite that company's wares not being particularly tasty.
Now if it had been advertising Oggy Oggy pasties it would have been perfect.

On Moderation
Oh, and the less said about 55016s hideous Porterbrook purple, the better.
The more said about it the better! The fact it got so much wailing and gnashing of teeth was highly amusing. Paint is there to protect the bodywork - and it was funded by Porterbrook so they could paint it however they wanted.

Journeyman

Established Member
The more said about it the better! The fact it got so much wailing and gnashing of teeth was highly amusing. Paint is there to protect the bodywork - and it was funded by Porterbrook so they could paint it however they wanted.
Haha! It was certainly distinctive!

hst43102

GWR's 43172 is a personal favourite of mine. I think it has since been repainted unfortunately.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There is that I suppose... and it did certainly stand out. The paint scheme itself at least echoed the classic two-tone green. The Sprinter-style headlights on the other hand looked awful.

Doomotron

The Class 375s in Southeastern's lilac and dark blue livery (used on Networkers).

Jonny

Established Member
GWR green on 47079, 47484, 47500 and 47628 (with cast numberplates). Also liked the chocolate and cream livery on the 117 & 121 units that were done at the same time.

I also liked the version on 60081 Isambard Kingdom Brunel (applied in the EWS era).

GtNortherner

Pleased to see that others have mentioned some favourites of mine (91110 (BBMF), the promotional 365s and the “European”-liveried 90s), but my vote goes to 91111 “Lest We Forget” - the livery is stunning in its own right, but I particularly like the fact that it was applied to a loco which carries that particular number (9(11/11)).

Last edited:

SeanG

The Stagecoach liveries mk1s from the 90s were unusual, though I'm not sure if their purpose

py_megapixel

Established Member
My favourite liveries are the Pride liveries. All of them, even the ones that are unimaginative or dull. Because seeing them restores a tiny bit of faith in humanity, in that we might be learning to tolerate other human beings and not advocate for their exclusion, or worse, based upon inherent characteristics that should not have to be nearly as consequential as they are at the moment.

I say this as a straight cisgender male, though, so make of that what you will...

LUYMun

The Stagecoach liveries mk1s from the 90s were unusual, though I'm not sure if their purpose
I wonder what would a new SWT/EMT livery look like now had Stagecoach kept their franchises - blue/green/yellow/white on trains would certainly look interesting...

Strathclyder

Established Member
My favourite liveries are the Pride liveries. All of them, even the ones that are unimaginative or dull. Because seeing them restores a tiny bit of faith in humanity, in that we might be learning to tolerate other human beings and not advocate for their exclusion, or worse, based upon inherent characteristics that should not have to be nearly as consequential as they are at the moment.

I say this as a straight cisgender male, though, so make of that what you will...
Responding as a gay cisgender male, I fully approve of your comment, both in terms of the overall message and the Pride liveries themselves. :) The Avanti 390 is my fave as far as the rail-based ones go, but my fave one overall is Lothian Buses' one (but that one isn't rail-based, so OT for this part of the fourm lol).

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I quite liked the various advertising liveries carried by 153s operating in Wales and the West Country from the early 2000s, promoting various branch lines. For some reason I was particularly fond of the black and gold generic ‘Scenic Railways of Devon & Cornwall’ ones.

Attachments

• C985D643-FB7E-4F9E-86CA-28A9605CD4DE.jpeg
    C985D643-FB7E-4F9E-86CA-28A9605CD4DE.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 34

Ladder23

Established Member
The pink rainbow liveries that 319364/365 had!

Also.. the original blue and yellow thameslink livery with the matching coloured interior and seats. I wish I had more footage of those

Doomotron

I think you’ve both misunderstood the exam question.
Only three 375s had the livery. I personally only saw it a few times, and only travelled on it once, in the entire period the 375s were in white.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Incidentally, any livery that commits the cardinal sin of putting film or vinyl over the windows is immediately out of the running for me. Designers shouldn't be impairing the passenger experience inside just to make the train look prettier from the outside.

Iskra

Established Member
I quite liked the various advertising liveries carried by 153s operating in Wales and the West Country from the early 2000s, promoting various branch lines. For some reason I was particularly fond of the black and gold generic ‘Scenic Railways of Devon & Cornwall’ ones.
I agree about that 153 being one of the best.

I also thought the 57’s and 67’s looked great in Pullman colours.

delt1c

Established Member
LNER apple green on 47522 "Doncaster Enterprise"
British Steel light blue liveries on 37501, 60006 and 60033.
The 'Caledonian' blue variant of Virgin livery carried by 86245.
The experimental dark grey large logo livery worn by 87006.
The trio of SNCB/DB/SNCF liveried class 90 in the mid-nineties were a good looking bunch: My favourite was the SNCB livery 90028/128.
The Midline triple-tone blue class 121 bubble car.
Sealink liveried mark 1s used on the Stranrear service.
I would agree that86.245 looked really good in Caledonian Blue version of Virgin Livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.