• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolley Dolly @ Scotrail. Hints and tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

everycloud

Doh! I was talking to an ex colleague about my interview and he's just told me I only require 1 weeks notice, not 4!

He reckons I should contact Scotrail and mention that I got it wrong. Might be an idea.

Who to contact though? There's a First Group careers email and when I emailed them before they contacted the interviewers asking about dates.

Should I send the info over? God I'm so cross with myself. But kind of pleased my notice is shorter than I thought.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I wouldn't bother, as if they think you are the best candidate, I'm sure they wouldn't mind waiting 4 weeks.

Michael.Y

Established Member
Just read through this thread and thought I would offer my (belated) thoughts as a current "Dude With The Food" / "Bloke With The Coke" / "Fellah With The Stella".... both to the OP and to anyone else interested in this type of role:

1) Hygiene and food safety are your number one priority. Generally the safe temperature for products like sandwiches is anything below 8C. So long as your cool compartment is below this temperature your food is safe. Our trolleys use a dry ice system which naturally erodes so it is important to keep an eye. Keep a handwash / antibacterial spray with you at all times and use it as needed.

2) Frequent trips through the train - I tend to traverse a 2/3 car set once every half an hour or so. Keep an eye on pax flows - if you've just completed a perambulation and suddenly 50 people get on, don't wait for them all to trickle off at intermediate stations while you're having your five minute sit down. Get out there and get selling.

3) Don't compromise your integrity - it'll only come back to bite you firmly on the buttocks. Don't allow passengers to dictate any behaviour from you which they may then use against you should things go wrong -- examples being asking for cups of hot liquid without lids, asking you to provide hot water for babies bottles, asking for excessive amounts of milk/sugar, changing their mind after an irreversible fact (such as opening a bag of crisps etc), and other such behaviours.

4) Always allow the passengers to decide how they want their item. Place the item unopened, untouched on the table in front of them. Similarly place milk sachets and sugar sachets to the side of the cup of tea/coffee and allow them to add it as they wish. Always provide a cup for cold drinks, offer ice when available.

5) If an item is damaged or melted etc, remove from sale. You can waste it and not be penalised for it so long as there is a valid reason for doing so. I once had a whole set of KitKats water damaged (nothing to do with us, they came out of the box like that) so was unable to offer a staple snack for that trip. Better safe than sorry however.

6) Upsell. Always offer "anything else" at the end of service and before payment. When traversing the train, make pax aware of the many different items you offer, especially some of the more obscure ones (popcorn, peanuts, mints etc)

7) Liase with your guard. You don't want to get in his/her way and vice versa. Especially important on long journeys with many different guards on different parts of the route.

8) Learn your diagrams by heart. Know which platforms you come in on at any station so you know whether to park your trolley on the left or right of the vestibule so you are not blocking the door. Remember you may be the only staff member the pax see on a journey, so be prepared to offer rudimentary useful information. Carry a timetable booklet with you so you can look up train times and connections.

9) I carry the job title "Steward". As such I also take it upon myself to help with luggage, direct bikes and buggies to correct areas, investigate anything suspicious and be the guard's extra pair of eyes and ears. If you see someone struggling to make it to the door in time, let the guard know so that he/she doesn't close the doors and cart a customer off further than they wanted to go.

10) Enjoy yourself. You are there to improve the customers' day or quench their hunger or thirst. Except in emergencies, you don't have any safety-critical responsibility of the running of the train, but you have enormous freedom of personal responsibility, an ever-changing vista from your "office" window, a huge variety of personalities to interact with... it's a fantastic job with some fantastic experiences.

I love doing it. I love the early morning runs, the evening rush hours, the 10-hour jaunts to the other end of the country and back.... it's a great way to get yourself involved in the railway. And keep your eyes and ears open. Learn the way of the railway. Educate yourself in the whys and wherefores. If you want to progress up to Guard / Train Manager etc, there's no better way than to learn from those doing the job already.

everycloud

Just read through this thread and thought I would offer my (belated) thoughts as a current "Dude With The Food" / "Bloke With The Coke" / "Fellah With The Stella".... both to the OP and to anyone else interested in this type of role:

1) Hygiene and food safety are your number one priority. Generally the safe temperature for products like sandwiches is anything below 8C. So long as your cool compartment is below this temperature your food is safe. Our trolleys use a dry ice system which naturally erodes so it is important to keep an eye. Keep a handwash / antibacterial spray with you at all times and use it as needed.

2) Frequent trips through the train - I tend to traverse a 2/3 car set once every half an hour or so. Keep an eye on pax flows - if you've just completed a perambulation and suddenly 50 people get on, don't wait for them all to trickle off at intermediate stations while you're having your five minute sit down. Get out there and get selling.

3) Don't compromise your integrity - it'll only come back to bite you firmly on the buttocks. Don't allow passengers to dictate any behaviour from you which they may then use against you should things go wrong -- examples being asking for cups of hot liquid without lids, asking you to provide hot water for babies bottles, asking for excessive amounts of milk/sugar, changing their mind after an irreversible fact (such as opening a bag of crisps etc), and other such behaviours.

4) Always allow the passengers to decide how they want their item. Place the item unopened, untouched on the table in front of them. Similarly place milk sachets and sugar sachets to the side of the cup of tea/coffee and allow them to add it as they wish. Always provide a cup for cold drinks, offer ice when available.

5) If an item is damaged or melted etc, remove from sale. You can waste it and not be penalised for it so long as there is a valid reason for doing so. I once had a whole set of KitKats water damaged (nothing to do with us, they came out of the box like that) so was unable to offer a staple snack for that trip. Better safe than sorry however.

6) Upsell. Always offer "anything else" at the end of service and before payment. When traversing the train, make pax aware of the many different items you offer, especially some of the more obscure ones (popcorn, peanuts, mints etc)

7) Liase with your guard. You don't want to get in his/her way and vice versa. Especially important on long journeys with many different guards on different parts of the route.

8) Learn your diagrams by heart. Know which platforms you come in on at any station so you know whether to park your trolley on the left or right of the vestibule so you are not blocking the door. Remember you may be the only staff member the pax see on a journey, so be prepared to offer rudimentary useful information. Carry a timetable booklet with you so you can look up train times and connections.

9) I carry the job title "Steward". As such I also take it upon myself to help with luggage, direct bikes and buggies to correct areas, investigate anything suspicious and be the guard's extra pair of eyes and ears. If you see someone struggling to make it to the door in time, let the guard know so that he/she doesn't close the doors and cart a customer off further than they wanted to go.

10) Enjoy yourself. You are there to improve the customers' day or quench their hunger or thirst. Except in emergencies, you don't have any safety-critical responsibility of the running of the train, but you have enormous freedom of personal responsibility, an ever-changing vista from your "office" window, a huge variety of personalities to interact with... it's a fantastic job with some fantastic experiences.

I love doing it. I love the early morning runs, the evening rush hours, the 10-hour jaunts to the other end of the country and back.... it's a great way to get yourself involved in the railway. And keep your eyes and ears open. Learn the way of the railway. Educate yourself in the whys and wherefores. If you want to progress up to Guard / Train Manager etc, there's no better way than to learn from those doing the job already.

Thanks for a great insight there, I dare say procedures and routines vary depending on the operator but all good advice.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
:(

Got an email earlier:

"Unfortunately on this occasion the quality of candidates has been high and this position has been filled by another individual.

Your performance at the interview was to a high standard and therefore we would like to keep your application on hold.

Applications are actively retained for six month's and should another vacancy arise you may be contacted within that period."

I logged into the careers thing where I applied and the status now says:

Successful after Interview / Assessment - On Hold

Should I take this as a no and move on? How likely is it that they will eventually offer me a position? Is this more like a no than a yes?

My head is telling me I can't wait around much longer in the hope of something coming up here. But I do want the job so...

I dunno. Advice please... :(

cameronw89

I think its a positive, saying successful at interview means if there was another job, it would be yours! I would imagine another would come up before 6 months then surely you'd be first in line. Chin up mate, clearly you impressed at the interview and were just unlucky someone was that bit more 'suitable' :)

everycloud

I think its a positive, saying successful at interview means if there was another job, it would be yours! I would imagine another would come up before 6 months then surely you'd be first in line. Chin up mate, clearly you impressed at the interview and were just unlucky someone was that bit more 'suitable' :)

I'm trying to see the positive, do these jobs come up often? And would I need to go through all the applying and waiting again?

I updated my application thing saying my notice period is 1 week so I guess it just saves the application until a job comes up?

Michael.Y

Established Member
Yep, you did well, so look on the bright side - your application is still live should a post come up.

I would definitely hold out for the six months - the job is worth getting if you can get it.

With regard to turnover - I can only speak for my part of the world - but we've taken on at least 5 new stewards in the last 9 months.

everycloud

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. How do the rules go re: applying for a different position should it come up?

Does it keep my current application on hold until I remove myself from consideration?

Not gonna give up on this. I think my disappointment is compounded by the fact that I have mentally 'moved on' from my current job. I don't wanna just grab the first random job that comes along so I will hope that they remember me and get in touch.

cameronw89

I think the fact that you've got passed the interview stage should stand you in good stead in any other position with FSR. Obviously you'd need to do the whole process again, unless it was the same position i'd imagine.

Simon11

Established Member
In your case, I would still look at other jobs and apply if they match with your requirements, even if its with fsr and in a similar role.

Keep going until you have your contract in your hand, then your all sorted :)

Fingers x
In your case, I would still look at other jobs and apply if they match with your requirements, even if its with fsr and in a similar role.

Keep going until you have your contract in your hand, then your all sorted :)

Fingers x

everycloud

Well... here's to obsessively checking my email for the next 6 months for job alerts.

In the meantime is it worth asking for feedback on my interview to get pointers to what I can improve on for next time?

(I'm assuming I will have another interview if a job comes up?)

Well... here's to obsessively checking my email for the next 6 months for job alerts.

In the meantime is it worth asking for feedback on my interview to get pointers to what I can improve on for next time?

(I'm assuming I will have another interview if a job comes up?)

Always do this, often it is generic crap you get back that is of no use but if you think there is a chance you will go for a job with the same company again defo do it, shows your extra keen.

MacRae13

In this role with Scotrail are you entitled to any commission on sales in a similar manner to ticket examiners and conductors?

Inge

Yeah you get 3% commission on everything you sell, paid monthly. Also do basic first aid at induction for a few hours, pretty easy.

MacRae13

Yeah you get 3% commission on everything you sell, paid monthly. Also do basic first aid at induction for a few hours, pretty easy.

Hell, I thought I'd thanked you for that post before and just noticed I'd totally ignored you! Belated thanks Inge.

everycloud

Update on this folks...

In another thread I was looking for advice on a Gateline job with FSR which I recently applied for - attended assessment, sat and passed Group Bourdon, called for interview etc and awaiting the outcome.

But... about a week ago, the day before I did the Group Bourdon for Gateline, I got an email about the On Train trolley job, asking if i was still interested:

Further to your application for the above post I was wondering if you are
still interested in this vacancy which you were interviewed for on 3rd
July. If you are interested could you please provide me with an update
of your circumstances. i.e. your employment details if any, any disclosure
issues and in particular any road traffic offences. I would be grateful if
you could get back to me within the next 5 working days in order that I can
process your application further.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

So I replied saying yes, very much interested and that my details are all the same as my original application, contact me if you need any more info etc.

Does this mean or sound like I am about to be made an offer after being on hold? There's nothing advertised so I'm wondering if it's just an admin clean up, going thru old applicants etc or if they are looking to "process my application further".

Unsure what to do if the Gateline job is offered or exactly what to do, other than obsessively checking my email.
Update...

Conditional offer of employment email in my inbox and a medical arranged for a week on Monday!

No word from the Gateline job so I may just let it go... My Group Bourdon pass is valid for 3 years so I guess I have the option of progressing in the future if all goes well.

Karl

On Moderation
Excellent news!! Good luck with your medical. I love reading these employment posts that end up successful. You've been very patient. Let us know how you get on :)

everycloud

Excellent news!! Good luck with your medical. I love reading these employment posts that end up successful. You've been very patient. Let us know how you get on :)

Thankyou! It is a conditional offer so at this moment I am both excited and apprehensive as I've had problems with my left ear which may just kill the whole thing.

I am gonna contact Scotrail on Monday as the medical requires me to take a passport (which I don't have) or an endorsed photograph so need some guidance. I may mention the ear issue and that I'm waiting on an ENT referral and possibly mention it on the day.

Please do not let all this be in vain :(

E16 Cyclist

Thankyou! It is a conditional offer so at this moment I am both excited and apprehensive as I've had problems with my left ear which may just kill the whole thing.

I am gonna contact Scotrail on Monday as the medical requires me to take a passport (which I don't have) or an endorsed photograph so need some guidance. I may mention the ear issue and that I'm waiting on an ENT referral and possibly mention it on the day.

Please do not let all this be in vain :(

I remember when i had my medical for trolleys with fgw many years ago all the medical consisted of was drug and alcohol screening. As the position is non safety critical its unlikely they'll check your ears.

MacRae13

As the position is non safety critical its unlikely they'll check your ears.

A hearing test is part of the assessment for on train hospitality.

Hearing, drug and alcohol, sight, height and weight for BMI, blood pressure, colour blindness; that's all I can remember.

Hope that helps.

everycloud

A hearing test is part of the assessment for on train hospitality.

Hearing, drug and alcohol, sight, height and weight for BMI, blood pressure, colour blindness; that's all I can remember.

Hope that helps.

:(

Dreaming about this now. I may go back to my GP and see if they can rush through a referral which I doubt as I have to wait my turn like everyone else. Not entirely sure what may remedy this anyway. My eardrums blown out a few times and last time I went to Dr about it cos it was blocked and muffled (which has cleared now) he said that I have scar tissue on my ear drum where it healed up.

He reckons if it doesn't improve or gets worse the ENT may suggest a day surgery op where they cut a piece of skin and replace the scarred ear drum with this which will conduct better. How long this may take to be scheduled I don't know.

If I fail the medical because of this, would they keep me on hold again and then retest me or would I just be binned?

everycloud

BUPA Medical today, declared fit! (pending urine test which will be fine)

:D

Spoke to Scotrail today and induction will likely be mid January.

Massive thanks to all the advice on here, great help :)

motherwell334

Well done!!! All you do now is do your 6 months probation then you can apply for any vacancy you like subject to your qualifications.. You will enjoy the Induction week at Atrium Court Glasgow.. I knew you would pass the medical i passed mine and i wear a hearing aid..

everycloud

Well done!!! All you do now is do your 6 months probation then you can apply for any vacancy you like subject to your qualifications.. You will enjoy the Induction week at Atrium Court Glasgow.. I knew you would pass the medical i passed mine and i wear a hearing aid..

Thanks pal, the medical wasn't as bad as I feared but I only say that in retrospect as I passed it. Think they said they only contact your GP if you have any current conditions that you might take medications for. Had to fill out the BUPA form and mention I had a period of depression about 10 years ago, not sure if they will follow it up or not.

Lol just got an email about the Gateline job I was interviewed for... unsuccessful.

Oh well. Maybe once I'm in and more confident and experienced I can give it another go.

What role are you in currently, I take it you have some experience of on-train hospitality?
Contract is in the post! I have my start date too!

Took a while but I got there.

Thanks again to all on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.