• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trolley Dolly @ Scotrail. Hints and tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

everycloud

I recently applied for an On Train Hospitality Assistant job with Scotrail. I have previously applied for other station roles and never got further than the inital online form which asks your details. So when I saw this and applied, it eventually invited me to do the online assesment for arithmetic and reasoning... passed this and now awaiting interview date.

I have read most of the Scotrail posts on here and application process so have some expectations of what comes next. Slightly concerned about the medical, have had problems with my left ear and this has affected my hearing. I am also overweight and have read that BMI must be under 33. I am borderline so doing all I can to lose weight incase my interview is successful. For the trolley dolly job, are these just as important as say, a driver medical may be?

Also, what is the interview and training process like? I'd say I'm naturally pretty good with people and usually fare well in interviews but is there anything special they are looking for?

Also, would like to hear how a typical shift goes, I have an idea in my head but would be great to hear from someone with experience. Really looking forward to a job on the railways, so while this role is typically entry level, I am keen to explore other opportunities if they arise.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I dont think Scotrail catering staff are safety critical, though I may be wrong. It should have said on the advert if they are though.

Trolley staff have to be good with money, obviously, but often they are the face of the company too. Passengers tend to have longer interactions with trolley/catering staff than almost anybody else who works on the railway, certainly on board trains. In that regard I guess having a bit of charisma comes in very handy without being overbearing. You will probably get asked all kinds of questions about journeys too (ie, where do I change to get to X or what time is my connecting train to y) and while knowing the answers to these questions isnt key I think they are always appreciated by the passenger and the company so having a decent background knowledge of how the railway runs and being able to articulate that is a key secondary skill.

everycloud

The money side I'm not worried about at all, my current job is in the cash office of a supermarket so I'm used to adding and making everything balance. One of the main reasons I went for this job is the human interaction element - my job at the moment can be quite isolated and I think I'm more a people person :D

Have already been studying the routes and stuff as I imagine I need to know where to get on and off trains as well as having the knowledge for any passengers who ask.

Would I generally be getting on at the start of the route and travelling right to the end or would I be swapping trains halfway through? Trying not to be overly concerned about the medical... will be really gutted if I perform well at interview then be unsuccesful due to the medical.

LCC106

Established Member
I suspect the BMI is important with regard to being able to move up and down the aisle easily. Can't add any more than that, but you're trying to do something about it and that can only be a good thing! Good luck and keep us posted.

everycloud

I suspect the BMI is important with regard to being able to move up and down the aisle easily. Can't add any more than that, but you're trying to do something about it and that can only be a good thing! Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm on trains quite often and while I might be overweight, I'm not that big that I can't squeeze down the aisle :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Make sure you've got a couple of sarnies on the trolley !

I was recently on an Inter-City evening service and there was nothing more substantial than a bag of crisps.

everycloud

Make sure you've got a couple of sarnies on the trolley !

I was recently on an Inter-City evening service and there was nothing more substantial than a bag of crisps.

If it was up to me, I'd have Weetabix, Scotch eggs and Pernod on the trolleys. And then have a different menu for evenings...

The closing date for the role I applied for is tomorrow so here's hoping I get an interview date soon.

EltonRoad

If it was up to me, I'd have Weetabix, Scotch eggs and Pernod on the trolleys. And then have a different menu for evenings...

Well then I seriously hope you get the job ;)

Banter with customers? You don't want me as a customer, all I ever say is "Cup of Tea please. Thanks."

yorksrob

Veteran Member

The closing date for the role I applied for is tomorrow so here's hoping I get an interview date soon.

Not sure about the weetabix, but on the occasion in question a scotch egg would have been most welcome :D

Best of luck with the job !

everycloud

So a week has passed since the closing date... yes, I'm impatient. Tempted to contact to find out what's happening but I will resist the urge.

Do they normally arrange interviews quickly or does it drag on?

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I appreciate banter with catering staff :) if I'm in a good mood, I usually ask for a twirl (as opposed to a Twirl) :P

Regarding routes you'll operate, which company and location have you applied for?

everycloud

I appreciate banter with catering staff :) if I'm in a good mood, I usually ask for a twirl (as opposed to a Twirl) :P

Regarding routes you'll operate, which company and location have you applied for?

Scotrail based in Edinburgh, so I know the routes I'll prob be doing:

Edinburgh - Glasgow
Edinburgh - Aberdeen
Edinburgh - Inverness
Edinburgh - Perth (I think)

Was on the train back and forth a few times this weekend and was paying close attention to trolley routines.

Really hoping I get this, getting a bit nervous that no interview date has been given, just need the know the wheels are in motion (excuse the pun)

everycloud

Yay I have an interview date! It's not said whether it's a group thing or individual but I'm now kind of half excited/half nervous, just glad I have the date, gonna do some prep and hopefully will have some good news in the next few weeks.

Also, I don't have a passport or driving licence, is my birth certificate and a tax letter enough to take along with me?

13 valleys

well done and good luck with the interview.a friend of a friend also has a interview with first scotrail regarding a booking office job.it was advertised externally.apparently posts like this are already earmarked for someone who is a relative of a manager, and they interview a group of people to make it look less suspicious.the rumour is that first scotrail are good at this.there you go,a controversial first post!! good luck.

everycloud

well done and good luck with the interview.a friend of a friend also has a interview with first scotrail regarding a booking office job.it was advertised externally.apparently posts like this are already earmarked for someone who is a relative of a manager, and they interview a group of people to make it look less suspicious.the rumour is that first scotrail are good at this.there you go,a controversial first post!! good luck.

How long ago did this friend of a friend apply? I'm sure it happens in every company. But doubtful in this case unless the manager has three sibliings who live in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen who all want the same job (as advertised)

After months of waiting, if you are indeed right in your speculation I will not be impressed.

rail-britain

Established Member
I don't have a passport or driving licence, is my birth certificate and a tax letter enough to take along with me?
I would suggest you contact the person that appears on the invitation letter
This two documents should be enough, just make sure it is the full Birth Certificate and not the extract (short) copy
The tax letter should be issued within 6 months (I assume you are referring to the Tax Code notice), but some tax letters cannot be accepted (such as SA documents)

13 valleys

How long ago did this friend of a friend apply? I'm sure it happens in every company. But doubtful in this case unless the manager has three sibliings who live in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen who all want the same job (as advertised)

After months of waiting, if you are indeed right in your speculation I will not be impressed.

sorry i have mislead you.i wasn't referring to your post,it was only regarding the booking office job.things sound very positive for yourself,good luck.

everycloud

Interview tomorrow. Spending time preparing for questions they probably won't ask lol

I really want this and I'm trying to psyche myself up a bit, I sometimes don't big myself up enough at interviews. After all this wait, I will be gutted if I don't get any further.

Any last minute tips appreciated.

cameronw89

Hi, just come across this thread. I went for an interview for this last year. The questions are kinda basic just the "give me a time when" questions. Can't remember exactly what but it was like working as part of a team to accomplish a goal. They ask what you know about fsr and what you understand about the position - thats where I buggered it 'cos I didnt know! lol I just said kinda like what you get on a plane? lol Any other questions fire away and I'll see if I can remember. Otherwise, best of luck!

everycloud

Hi, just come across this thread. I went for an interview for this last year. The questions are kinda basic just the "give me a time when" questions. Can't remember exactly what but it was like working as part of a team to accomplish a goal. They ask what you know about fsr and what you understand about the position - thats where I buggered it 'cos I didnt know! lol I just said kinda like what you get on a plane? lol Any other questions fire away and I'll see if I can remember. Otherwise, best of luck!

I've done some homework on FSR so I have that covered, have a fair idea now of what is involved in the job and done a mock interview with other half to prepare. My mind sometimes goes blank or I don't really sell myself enough but I am determined to get it.

So did you get the job and if so, are you enjoying it?

cameronw89

Ah well you're sorted :) never got the job though :p I think as long as you give it your best shot, be as prepared as possible and you're well dressed you should be in with a good chance. Best of luck anyway, let us know how you get on! :)

everycloud

Well... I think the interview went ok, but that often means the opposite!

Gave my chat about Scotrail and what I thought the role involved. All my competency based examples seemed to go ok and it felt quite relaxed. I got a good feeling from the interviewers if I'm honest.

No idea what my chances are at this point, although they read on my application that I have to work a 4 week notice period with my employer... then asked if I thought they would let me go before 4 weeks.

I have no idea how many people are going for this one job so I guess it's another waiting game to seeif there's a next stage for me.

cameronw89

Sounds good! That really annoys me about employers, wanting folk to do less notice than what they're meant to! they wouldn't accept it themselves! lol best of luck anyway mate. I found out quite quickly after the interview.

everycloud

Sounds good! That really annoys me about employers, wanting folk to do less notice than what they're meant to! they wouldn't accept it themselves! lol best of luck anyway mate. I found out quite quickly after the interview.

Obviously it's not best practice to leave my current employer 'in the lurch' so I may have to go with the 4 weeks notice if they offer me the job. And that's a big IF! Keeping tight lipped until medical, disclosure and refs are done.

How quickly did they let you know? I'm kind of hoping it's not as long as it's taken so far lol

Simon11

Established Member
Least yours is only 4 weeks, I was forced to complete my full 3 month notice which was very tough!

cameronw89

3 months! what did you do? lol Think it was a couple of weeks. it would take longer if you're successful i'd imagine cos the folk they don't want they just fire off emails then they have to contact successful candidates. I've had a conductor application in for about 3 months and still not heard anything lol the idea is don't hold you're breath! lol

everycloud

3 months! what did you do? lol Think it was a couple of weeks. it would take longer if you're successful i'd imagine cos the folk they don't want they just fire off emails then they have to contact successful candidates. I've had a conductor application in for about 3 months and still not heard anything lol the idea is don't hold you're breath! lol

I think the waiting is part of the process lol Good luck with that one, hope you're not waiting too long.

Did they phone or email you with the decision?

cameronw89

Cheers :) I got an email. Although, i would imagine that for an offer of employment they would phone or send a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.