• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trowbridge to Nottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

bantamjim

Hi all,

I'm looking to travel from Trowbridge to Nottingham, outbound on 25th November and returning on 27th.

The cheapest I can find is £45.55 off-peak return. I want to leave Trowbridge on the 07:24 train, but then break my journey at Filton Abbey Wood, setting off from there again about 15:00. Is this allowed on this ticket?

Returning, the engineering works between Bristol Parkway and Yate means the journey planner is suggesting some very strange routes. I want to leave Nottingham around lunchtime, so it reckons I leave on the 13:19, changing at Derby, Gloucester, and Swindon. However, as I'm guessing this is onto the very irregular Swindon to Westbury via Melksham service, I want to try to avoid this if possible, so I'm not having to backtrack through Bath if I miss the connection for some reason. Is there any other way I can go, without paying the extra to travel via London?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I want to leave Trowbridge on the 07:24 train, but then break my journey at Filton Abbey Wood, setting off from there again about 15:00. Is this allowed on this ticket?
Yes. The £45.55 Railcard Off-Peak Return Trowbridge - Nottingham route Birmingham has Validity code 8X, which places no restriction on breaking either or both legs of the journey.

Returning, the engineering works between Bristol Parkway and Yate means the journey planner is suggesting some very strange routes. I want to leave Nottingham around lunchtime, so it reckons I leave on the 13:19, changing at Derby, Gloucester, and Swindon. However, as I'm guessing this is onto the very irregular Swindon to Westbury via Melksham service, I want to try to avoid this if possible, so I'm not having to backtrack through Bath if I miss the connection for some reason. Is there any other way I can go, without paying the extra to travel via London?
If you enter Nottingham to Trowbridge avoiding Melksham at 13:00 on 27 November into the East Coast search engine, it suggests:

13:19 Nottingham - Derby 13:47 EMT. Train continues to Matlock
13:53 Derby - Birmingham New Street 14:48 XC. Train continues to Plymouth
15:03 Birmingham New Street - Reading 16:42 XC. Train continues to Southampton Central
17:04 Reading - Bath Spa 18:15 FGW. Train continues to Swansea
18:27 Bath Spa - Trowbridge 18:45 FGW. Train continues to Portsmouth Harbour

Last edited:

bantamjim

Ah thanks for that, I normally use the East Coast site but had no idea you could search to go via or avoid stations! Going via Reading, all the ticket options are greyed out, so I guess this means that route isn't valid? And I have to go back to Bath anyway doing that. Going via Temple Meads (i.e. the usual way) is an extra hour, so I think I'll take the risk of getting the Melksham train, it shouldn't be too much drama if I do miss it, just a bit frustrating that's all. Cheers :)

bnm

Established Member
13:19 Nottingham - Derby 13:47 EMT. Train continues to Matlock
13:53 Derby - Birmingham New Street 14:48 XC. Train continues to Plymouth
15:03 Birmingham New Street - Reading 16:42 XC. Train continues to Southampton Central
17:04 Reading - Bath Spa 18:15 FGW. Train continues to Swansea
18:27 Bath Spa - Trowbridge 18:45 FGW. Train continues to Portsmouth Harbour

That itinerary goes against the routeing guide. Trowbridge to Nottingham (route: Birmingham) is permitted via Didcot but not via Reading. There is also no easement applicable to route: Birmingham fares to allow a double back between Didcot and Reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.