• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truck driver kills people in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6721407.stm

Eight killed in Australia crash

_43009069_aus_vict_kerang_june07.gif

At least eight people have died in a train crash in southern Australia, which has left more than 40 people wounded, 12 seriously.

Police inspector Steve Gibson confirmed the death toll had risen from six. "I understand they are still searching the wreckage for missing people," he said.
The Melbourne-bound passenger train collided with a lorry in central Victoria state in the early afternoon.

Police said it was not yet clear what had caused the crash.

Emergency teams are at the scene and wounded passengers were being airlifted to surrounding hospitals.

'Big gaping hole'

The train was 40 minutes into its journey from Swan Hill, north of Kerang town, to Melbourne when the collision happened at a level crossing at 1340 (0340GMT).

One passenger who had been sitting in first class described the panic on board.

"All we could hear was people screaming and crying and moaning - it was just awful, devastating," Sue Fyffe told Sky News television.

"It was just shocking, it was awful, there was just glass, and elderly ladies sitting there, I helped some of the elderly who had lots of cuts, some of them had broken bones."

Ms Fyffe said the truck hit the carriage behind hers.

"The truck just didn't stop, he tried. I don't know whether he didn't see the train until the last minute, but he tried to divert and hit the carriage behind me and we just felt it," she said.

"It just felt as if the whole train was going to derail. The carriage behind mine is just half gone; there's a big gaping hole in the carriage behind."

Airlifted

Six ambulance teams as well as two helicopters and two aircraft were immediately sent to the crash scene 10km (six miles) north of Kerang.

"We would think that about 50% of those injured will come here to Kerang hospital," hospital chief Robert Jarman said.

"Probably two or three would be airlifted out to Melbourne because there are some very seriously injured."

Local media reported that the level crossing had flashing lights but no gates. The transport minister, Lynne Kosky, was due to make a statement later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.