• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truck Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
Does anyone here play truck sims?

I have Euro Truck Sim and German Truck Sim. I used to have UK Truck Sim as well, but it was lost when I had to re-boot my laptop.

What do you play?
Would love to see some screenshots too :D .

I am also part of a Virtual Trucking Company operated by a friend of mine, its just getting started but we have a few members so far, more info can be found here . My handle on there is Scanman89 and I'm one of the dispatchers I'm also responsible for driver training. If anyone is interested then all are welcome, we support all truck sims.

A few of my screens. from ETS.

b9cc50e3.png

MAN TGX 10x6 in my own R&H Trucking livery.

8c95d93d.png

Scania R650 Longline with an R&H trailer.

11081050.png

And one of the greatest trucks of all time.. The Rubber Duck's Mack R Series from the movie Convoy.

Would love to know who else here still plays Truck Sims.

This here's deltic1989 10/10 on the side.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I did a thread on this not so long ago. You can still see a whole load of my screenshots here. :)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53911

I have UK Truck Simulator and the demo version of ETS. Used to play UKTS quite alot but these days I spend most of my hours on the Xbox! In fact, I seem to remember adding you on Live? ;)

The last time I played UKTS I had an A Class lorry, and was just a few grand short of the funds I needed to buy a company garage.

deltic1989

Established Member
I had the downloaded version from SCS Software's website, but my laptop crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings, thus losing UKTS. I could re-download it as I have an activation key, but I'm running low on disk space with having RW3, ETS, GTS, and FSX on my laptop.

HST Power I had looked at your thread and noticed that it had been closed, which is why I decided to resurrect the discussion to see if people are still playing (and maybe a little to plug my mates VTC ;) ).
Yes i do remember adding you on Xbox Live, I don't get to play much though, as Mrs deltic is always hi-jacking the Xbox to watch Netflix :roll:

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
The last time I played UKTS I had an A Class lorry, and was just a few grand short of the funds I needed to buy a company garage.

The last time I played UKTS, I had all the garages (in 5-space configuration) and was just a couple of lorries short of filling my last garage, whilst driving my A class lorry myself. Then my computer didn't survive the journey down to uni and all my progress was lost. :cry:

More positive note, ETS 2 expected around this time next month! And from reading their blog, it should be quality!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I had the downloaded version from SCS Software's website, but my laptop crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings, thus losing UKTS. I could re-download it as I have an activation key, but I'm running low on disk space with having RW3, ETS, GTS, and FSX on my laptop.
So not a re-boot then, and not really lost either.

BestWestern

Established Member
So not a re-boot then, and not really lost either.

That's a very negative and rather critical response?!

Anyhoo, I'm curious as to how/why the producers of the game have had to use fake names in place of the actual manufacturers on most of the cabs, yet have been allowed to copy the actual design of the vehicles; how does that work in terms if Copyright, surely if they're not permitted to use names they wouldn't be able to use the physical design either?

I'm clearly wrong of course, or they wouldn't be using the designs, but I am curious as to how that works!?

I've never played the game but it looks good! Anybody ever had a go on the bus sim you can buy now?

It's Rollercoaster Tycoon all the way for me when I need an 'untrendy game' hit :D

HST Power

Established Member
Yes i do remember adding you on Xbox Live, I don't get to play much though, as Mrs deltic is always hi-jacking the Xbox to watch Netflix :roll:

That is when you're not on Black Ops!!! :P

Though I can't really defend myself, because as you've probably seen for yourself, I play far too much Battlefield 3!

More positive note, ETS 2 expected around this time next month! And from reading their blog, it should be quality!

I saw that as well. Unfortunately, I don't think my computer has the graphics card. :(

I'm clearly wrong of course, or they wouldn't be using the designs, but I am curious as to how that works!?

That's a good question! From what I remember, MAN gave UKTS a license to use their trucks, and that included the branding. Whereas trucks that are supposed to represent DAF and Scania get branded DAL and Swift.

I've never played the game but it looks good! Anybody ever had a go on the bus sim you can buy now?

I've played a few of them, which one do you mean?

BestWestern

Established Member
I've played a few of them, which one do you mean?

I'm not sure what it's called to be honest, just recall seeing it on the shelves in PC World! What caught my eye is that it had what appeared to be a Wright-bodied 'decker on the front cover, in London all-over red but left hand drive!

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm not sure what it's called to be honest, just recall seeing it on the shelves in PC World! What caught my eye is that it had what appeared to be a Wright-bodied 'decker on the front cover, in London all-over red but left hand drive!

Hmmm, that vehicle does exist in a game called Bus Driver (again done by SCS - some of the sounds are the same), but my copy has an American school bus on the front. http://www.busdrivergame.com/

(Probably available for £5-£10 on Amazon etc. , but would reccomend!)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Bus Driver is quite arcade-like, but equally good fun to play. I think the only thing it really lacks is a first person view which can be a pain (and reduce your score). Certainly not one for realistic detail, but it's good looking and amusing.

For more realistic bus driving there is OMSI. I've only had it working briefly due to not having a powerful enough computer (despite meeting minimum specs) but from videos I've watched and my brief play of the game it's absolutely fantastic in terms of detail. Here's a video review by a non-enthusiast that sums up the level of detail quite nicely.

On the subject of truck sims - I used to play an American one, 18 Wheels of Steel: Pedal to the Metal. I enjoyed it for awhile but have never really been that interested in trucks so never got that far into the game.

es373

I've got Euro Truck Sim.

I also figured out how to add money to the bank via the coding lol!

es373

I find it about as boring as train sim 2012 if I'm honest. I guess its there for when I have a spare 10 mins... luckily thats not often.

HST Power

Established Member
Pretty much every truck/bus/ship sim can be hacked into. But I've never done this. Even if it takes me ages to get enough money to complete certain objectives, using cheat codes that bank you millions of pounds and thousands of XP just kills the fun. It's the same with the Xbox. I like the feeling of having to work toward something, and the fact that when you get an achievement you feel like you've actually earned it.

deltic1989

Established Member
I've got Euro Truck Sim.

I also figured out how to add money to the bank via the coding lol!

I found this out too, whilst looking for an error log when a modification kept making the sim crash.

Pretty much every truck/bus/ship sim can be hacked into. But I've never done this. Even if it takes me ages to get enough money to complete certain objectives, using cheat codes that bank you millions of pounds and thousands of XP just kills the fun. It's the same with the Xbox. I like the feeling of having to work toward something, and the fact that when you get an achievement you feel like you've actually earned it.

I agree with this. With UKTS and GTS it's all about earning money to acquire garages and more trucks to earn you more money, and with ETS the money you earn goes towards unlocking new countries.
Cheating does kill the fun somewhat in all aspects of gaming, but each man to his own. Everyone plays differently and if people get fun out of exploiting the fact that it is possible to cheat then that's fine by me :) .

On my ETS and GTS games I do have a fair few modifications.
On ETS I have heavy haul trailers and a couple of trucks, my favorite is the Rubber Duck's Mack R series, which replaces the Valiant C Class.

On GTS I have replaced some of the Trucks, I have a lovely Scania R580 Topline, which I am currently re-skinning.

For GTS also I am in the process of making a real companies mod for all the trailers, to add realism. Part if the fun if games like this is using and making mods, because SCS makes it so easy.

HST Power

Established Member
I agree with this. With UKTS and GTS it's all about earning money to acquire garages and more trucks to earn you more money, and with ETS the money you earn goes towards unlocking new countries.
Cheating does kill the fun somewhat in all aspects of gaming, but each man to his own. Everyone plays differently and if people get fun out of exploiting the fact that it is possible to cheat then that's fine by me :)

I once used a Hex editor to hack into the PC version of Driver (basically GTA, with more cities) though I'd finished the main story anyway, so it didn't matter. I was just trying to get unlimited ammo!

Having said that, I wouldn't have minded a cheat code or two last night, the new maps on Battlefield were driving me crazy! <(

For GTS also I am in the process of making a real companies mod for all the trailers, to add realism. Part if the fun if games like this is using and making mods, because SCS makes it so easy.

I think I had a go at doing a few re-skins, but I'm not sure what happened to the results.

Phil6219

Spent all night playing the Demo of ETS-2, until half two this morning :)

Just having my brew and then I'm off onto the virtual motorways again :D

It's a fantastic game, I really think they have done it this time. I was a huge fan of "Hard Truck - 18 Wheels of Steel" which was my first trucking game. I didn't enjoy ETS-1 as it seemed a bit hard to get into as I couldn't run my own company (I like managing things too) but also because there seemed to be no perspective on distances between locations. They really have the distance thing sorted now, I can drive from Manchester to Sheffield and it takes 10-15 minutes in real time to do which I think is about right in the sense of making journeys realistic but also not too much of a slog (I must admit I was pining for the end of my journey when doing Manchester - Carlisle in the small hours...

The licensed trucks are a fantastic addition too, I'm aware that people have made their own mods which took care of that but it's nice to have it by default (I know not all trucks are licensed). The ability to customise them is a great step forward too, I hope that it will be possible to build a fleet of trucks for the company all with the same mods and liveries (I think this may be possible, I just haven't got that far in yet). The license plates are excellent too, in that they are randomly generated but also native to the trucks origin (I drove to The Netherlands in a British truck that was Right Hand Drive and with a British registration, then picked up a Dutch truck that was Left Hand Drive with Dutch plates for the journey back - excellent.) Just a shame I didn't notice it was LHD until pulling out of the docks back at Hull :/

Top Game and probably going to buy it if it stays this much fun later on (as things unlock).

Phil 8-)

deltic1989

Established Member
Spent all night playing the Demo of ETS-2, until half two this morning :)

Just having my brew and then I'm off onto the virtual motorways again :D

It's a fantastic game, I really think they have done it this time. I was a huge fan of "Hard Truck - 18 Wheels of Steel" which was my first trucking game. I didn't enjoy ETS-1 as it seemed a bit hard to get into as I couldn't run my own company (I like managing things too) but also because there seemed to be no perspective on distances between locations. They really have the distance thing sorted now, I can drive from Manchester to Sheffield and it takes 10-15 minutes in real time to do which I think is about right in the sense of making journeys realistic but also not too much of a slog (I must admit I was pining for the end of my journey when doing Manchester - Carlisle in the small hours...

The licensed trucks are a fantastic addition too, I'm aware that people have made their own mods which took care of that but it's nice to have it by default (I know not all trucks are licensed). The ability to customise them is a great step forward too, I hope that it will be possible to build a fleet of trucks for the company all with the same mods and liveries (I think this may be possible, I just haven't got that far in yet). The license plates are excellent too, in that they are randomly generated but also native to the trucks origin (I drove to The Netherlands in a British truck that was Right Hand Drive and with a British registration, then picked up a Dutch truck that was Left Hand Drive with Dutch plates for the journey back - excellent.) Just a shame I didn't notice it was LHD until pulling out of the docks back at Hull :/

Top Game and probably going to buy it if it stays this much fun later on (as things unlock).

Phil 8-)

I'm downloading the demo now.
If I like what I see it will be on the list for next payday.
I've heard so many good things about it I hope it lives up to the hype and is worth the wait.

Darandio

Established Member
I think it's utterly fantastic and they have really done a fantastic job this time. I mean, I quite enjoyed both ETS1 and UKTS, but this is something else. Although it is a long time now since I used either of those, the following features I have noticed may or may not have been in the previous releases, however, I cannot recall them.

* Drivers sometimes "flash you out" rather than having to wait for a gap/all traffic to pass before exiting a junction, crossing over a road.

* On single carriage roads, cars will wait for a gap in oncoming traffic then overtake you.

* At Newcastle (North Shields) ferry terminal, its just a matter of driving into a flashing box and then selecting your ferry destination. However, at Dover, it resembled the real thing and I had to actually drive on to the ferry and park up. The same when leaving Calais.

* Eurotunnel is on the map along with four ramps at both Folkestone and Calais, although I haven't driven them yet.

* On leaving Calais and bound for Metz, there were roadworks. It was a contraflow and I had to wait 3-4 minutes in a queue for several traffic light sequences to allow traffic back and forth.

* Several tool booths across France on the run from Calais to Metz.

* At fuel stations/rest areas, these used to be only used by the player, with static traffic present and a specific bay to park if you wanted to rest. You now can park in any available space and traffic does use the facility. I actually just queued for nearly 5 minutes to get fuel.

CC 72100

Established Member
I think it's utterly fantastic and they have really done a fantastic job this time. I mean, I quite enjoyed both ETS1 and UKTS, but this is something else.....for nearly 5 minutes to get fuel.

This is really encouraging to hear. I've been following the development progress on their blog, and all the signs have been positive so far.

Will be ordering very soon!

Darandio

Established Member
It's also worth noting that after quite a bit of driving, from my hub at Newcastle I've been to the following:

Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Hull
Grimsby
Birmingham
Carlisle
Liverpool
Dover
Calais
Metz

Yet I have only driven 3.28% of the entire network. :shock:

I also forgot to mention failures as well. Between Birmingham and Dover, the service light came on and after departure from Calais, the engine started to develop a software issue meaning it would stop/start. I had to visit the garage at Calais to sort the problem.

CC 72100

Established Member
Yet I have only driven 3.28% of the entire network. :shock:

I also forgot to mention failures as well. Between Birmingham and Dover, the service light came on and after departure from Calais, the engine started to develop a software issue meaning it would stop/start. I had to visit the garage at Calais to sort the problem.

This is brilliant! Sounds like they really have thought of EVERYTHING this time, although they've done well to keep the stuff you've described under wraps, surprised there was no mentioon of some of them on the blog.

I take it the game works in a similar manner to UKTS - you work for a company and hope to get enough money to get your own truck one day, as opposed to the ETS way of doing things which was money = more countries to unlock.

Darandio

Established Member
They have given a lot of freedom it seems because there are banks this time. So at the very start, you are working effectively as an agency driver, but pretty quickly a bank will get in contact offering a loan in order to buy your trucks and start your own business. The terms of the loan mean a daily payment, so if you choose it you have to work your nuts off to make sure you have enough money to pay meaning it's not always the right choice.

Also, once you have a business, on visiting cities you can unlock recruitment agencies meaning you can hire drivers. Obviously this means your business needs further trucks, I haven't delved into that part yet. So potentially there is a management sim built in as well.

In terms of unlocking, its built on levels and experience, you can exchange skill points for various upgrades to yourself in terms of different hazard licences and long distance experience which gives opening to longer work etc.

Did I mention travelling over the Humber Bridge? :D Was that in any of the previous releases?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The terms of the loan mean a daily payment, so if you choose it you have to work your nuts off to make sure you have enough money to pay meaning it's not always the right choice.

That's starting to sound like actual 'work' rather than just 'fun' :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.