• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Truro - Westbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTH

Hi, i'm in need of a little assistance.

I need to go from Truro to Westbury (Wilts) on Friday 7th Feb, arriving no later than 1015. I am unsure as to my return time; it will most likely be after 1330.

I could consider breaking my journey to Westbury overnight, depending on where and when. I hold a Devon & Cornwall Railcard.

The best I can find is the 0434 FGW service from Truro, arriving in Westbury at 0835, an Anytime Return is £86. Splitting the journey at Exeter could be cheaper by a couple of quid, but is dependent on getting an advance return on certain trains.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
Im sure theres a train leaving Penzance at around 0541 which runs direct to Westbury arriving 0958? That would be just in time for your 1015 arrival.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Im sure theres a train leaving Penzance at around 0541 which runs direct to Westbury arriving 0958? That would be just in time for your 1015 arrival.

Whiteball Tunnel is closed so services are being diverted via Yeovil adding ~1 hr to journeys (exact time depends on the slot on the single track West of England Line - some services have waits to cross HSTs/159s at Pinhoe/Honiton/Axminster/Chard Jn/Yeovil)

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
As regards fares, the following was the best that I could see:

Truro-Plymouth £16.20 anytime day return
Plymouth-Exeter St David's £18 anytime day return
Exeter St David's-Westbury £40 anytime return

Total: £74.20 (you could save another 60p by splitting Exeter-Westbury into Exeter-Castle Cary and Castle Cary-Westbury)

All trains that I could see call at Plymouth and Exeter so these splits should be valid on the outward through train and any obvious trains coming back.

---------------------
Actually, with the help of Trainscanbecheaper, I have come up with something better:

Truro-Plymouth £16.20 anytime day return
Plymouth-Totnes £8.90 anytime day return
Totnes-Castle Cary £29.70 anytime return
Castle Cary-Westbury £9.70 anytime day return
Total: £64.50

Your 0434 outward train, and most return trains apart from the 1728, call (as is required) at all of the splitting points: the 1728 coming back does not call at Castle Cary.

If you might want to get the 1728 then, for Totnes-Westbury, buy the £43.50 anytime return, giving a revised total of £68.60

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.