• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(TRUST system) Live Departure Boards Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

LDB's have collapsed accross the country according to a reliable source, according to LDB the train I am on was running 1 early at one timing point then 29 'overdue' at another, we are acctually running ontime. Expected to cause havoc. This is due to the back end system (TRUST) collapsing AFAIAA.

TP

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Some stations its fine for, some near enough everything is shown as delayed. Think platform staff are going to have sore throats by the end of the evening as they would have to do a lot of talking/shouting.

Thought something had happened when i saw the LDB for Eastbourne on my laptop homepage.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes, the background and control system TRUST is down AFAIAA :smile:

TP

Lampshade

Established Member
Hmm, I was travelling over to Leeds earlier, train arrived into Preston 19 down, fair enough, there was a train fault and a carriage locked OOU. I was tracking us on LDB all the way over to Bradford, consistently ~20 down as you'd expect - when suddenly we'd been cancelled from Blackpool :?

Our headcode was the same (1B25) but we'd morphed into a Leeds - Ulleskelf service, which ended up being terminated at Leeds anyway.

Mainframe server fault with TRUST which runs the LDB's.

Transportphoto beat me to it!

wintonian

Established Member
Looking at LDB you would think that almost every train to/ from London was seriously late.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This is a snapshot someone has taken of my train's display and sent to me:

trust down.jpg

TP

andykn

Looking at LDB you would think that almost every train to/ from London was seriously late.

Arrivals at Liverpool Street look OK.

The National Rail website does have a warning up, however:

"Service updates
Please be aware that trains may currently be showing as delayed or overdue. This is not the case. All service disruptions are currently listed on the Service Disruption area of the National Rail Enquiries website"

Poggs

I'm still not receiving TRUST messages here, only VSTP, TD and TSR messages. Last TRUST message was 1804.

BTW, Darwin takes TD data and may use that in place of TRUST for some locations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...and looks like we're back - I can tell because one of my servers is currently having a seizure processing several hours worth of TRUST messages :)

Crossover

Established Member
I understand that the service shown in the screenshot next reported at somewhere around the 1856 timing point TP...and it was on time!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I understand that the service shown in the screenshot next reported at somewhere around the 1856 timing point TP...and it was on time!

With the exceptions of the 1 and 2 mins delays towards the top of that shot, we were ontime throughout :smile:

D1009

Established Member
Instances of TRUST going down completely are actually very rare as in IT terms it's a very old system, it was designed with users in mind and it works, unlike a lot of the more modern systems introduced since.

JGR

Interesting, I thought something was odd when I got a train from Burton on Trent around 1348 yesterday and the boards were switched off.
None of the boards I saw at the 3 stations I changed at appeared to be having issues though.

tsr

Established Member
Interesting, I thought something was odd when I got a train from Burton on Trent around 1348 yesterday and the boards were switched off.

Where I live, it's more disconcerting when everything is shown as "On time"... mind you, it was odd when the station electrics caught fire last month and all the displays were out for a couple of hours. I imagine this outage of TRUST was similarly odd.

None of the boards I saw at the 3 stations I changed at appeared to be having issues though.

I believe there are manual overrides. At least one TOC now actually has a system where station and control staff can selectively display trains that are actually running, which I believe is semi-independent of TRUST, and could possibly be used here.

D6700

As far as I'm aware, TRUST itself didn't collapse on Wednesday evening, the problem was with the interface with a number of other systems.

Crossover

Established Member
Essentially, I guess it was the back end systems that erm...fell over...yep, technical term that :P

jon0844

Veteran Member
The carrier pigeon unfortunately died and there were no donkeys available.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Be grateful that you are not subject to the runes displayed on Southern 171s' internal displays...

You'd think they would have done something about them. How many years has it been now since they worked properly?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Instances of TRUST going down completely are actually very rare as in IT terms it's a very old system, it was designed with users in mind and it works, unlike a lot of the more modern systems introduced since.

And requires less processing power than a game of solitaire.

tsr

Established Member
You'd think they would have done something about them. How many years has it been now since they worked properly?

Oh, that particular set of components seem to be on long-term loan from the ancient Vikings, or similar, and it appears they became obsolete when a 26-character English alphabet was developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.