• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trying to buy a ticket to London with travelcard included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

I am attempting to buy tickets online from York To London with East Coast Trains on a Family Railcard for two adults and 3 children. I also want to add in a zones 1-4 Travelcard.
Everytime I try and put in York to London All Zones travelcard it states "no fares available".
Even attempting York to London Zones 1 to 4 it states none available !
However when I put in York to London ZonesU1234 it gives me a price.
As we only intend to travel out as far as zone 3 (along with several in zones 1 & 2) is this the correct ticket to buy as I am not sure of the significance of the "U", but it seems to work.
I don't want to buy the wrong ticket so am I OK in selecting the U1234 version as my destination.
As I don't buy tickets very often, it is rather confusing offering London zone travelcards as destinations, then not been able to get a price !
Thanks in advance for the replies !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

York to Zones U1234 is only valid for a single/return journey to a Zone 1-4 underground station, it is not a travelcard.

I don't think there's any way to build in a Travelcard to your rail ticket unless it is cost-effective to split at Peterborough.

Razor1967

Thanks for the reply !
I have just bought the tickets from York to London KX for the 5 of us for £38.70 and then a seperate Finsbury Park to All zones Travelcard for £16.60.
Including the £1 delivery fee, a day in London for the Family on Bank Holiday Friday (22nd April) for a little over £56 is not bad !
Just hope there is no major engineering works on the London line and the Underground !

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The morning is always the hardest to get cheap tickets, and I see AP singles for £19.35 are available on the 0800, with the return trains in the evening available for a wide range of departures e.g. 1700, 1730, 1800, 1730, 1900, 2000. There are a lot less trains than normal on the Friday night but I guess as it's a Bank Holiday the demand will mostly be in the morning.

If you were getting walk-on tickets to include a Travelcard I'd say split at Grantham (or Newark).

This far in advance, AP will be a lot cheaper.

Razor1967

Yeah, I thought that too and initially the site offered me to collect from York station for the rail tickets to/from London, but when I added the London Travelcards for the Family it said no longer able to offer collect tickets option and only choice was 1st class post at £1 or next day delivery for more.

Don't know why you cannot collect the Travelcards with the Rail tickets, perhaps because I wasn't allowed to buy York to All zones Travelcard, so I had to input Finsbury Park to All zones Travelcard and then it assumed I didn't live in York !!!, but I thought you could collect the tickets from any mainline station with machines !

Any resident experts know why the free collection was taken away on buying the Travelcards (I purchased from the Eastcoast trains site) !!

Only a £1 I know, but I only live 15 minutes from the staion and I am a tight Yorkshireman !!!!! :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you specified a departure time from FPK earlier than from York I am confident postage would have been free ;) there are tricks.

BTW I probably know people who know you, Razor1967 ;)

Liam

Established Member
Yeah, I thought that too and initially the site offered me to collect from York station for the rail tickets to/from London, but when I added the London Travelcards for the Family it said no longer able to offer collect tickets option and only choice was 1st class post at £1 or next day delivery for more.

Don't know why you cannot collect the Travelcards with the Rail tickets, perhaps because I wasn't allowed to buy York to All zones Travelcard, so I had to input Finsbury Park to All zones Travelcard and then it assumed I didn't live in York !!!, but I thought you could collect the tickets from any mainline station with machines !

Any resident experts know why the free collection was taken away on buying the Travelcards (I purchased from the Eastcoast trains site) !!

Only a £1 I know, but I only live 15 minutes from the staion and I am a tight Yorkshireman !!!!! :D

I recently bought tickets for the Caledonian Sleeper off the ScotRail site with a travelcard for zones 1-4 and was given the option to colect from any station booking office/TVM.

Status
Not open for further replies.