• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trying to get to Headingly tomorrow 27th non protected Priv

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Any remotely viable options to get me to Headingly close to 11am tomorrow from London then back that evening

Thx.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Any remotely viable options to get me to Headingly close to 11am tomorrow from London then back that evening

Thx.
Overnight coach from London tonight (although actually they seem a bit booked up / expensive)

A single on Hull Trains tomorrow morning from Kings Cross to Doncaster arriving 0906 is £44, then further tickets onwards?

Last edited:

hkstudent

Established Member

Thx.
You are going to Headingly near Leeds right?
The first east coast service to Leeds will arrive at 0823 on Monday, that shouldn't be a problem.

The last direct one from Leeds is 2045 and a change at York one at 2142.

Then a plusbus day ticket for local bus to Headingly would be a good idea, unless you are heading to Burley Park or Headingly station itself.

Last edited:

Paul1160

I used to live in Headingley myself years ago.Burley Park or Headingley station are about same walking distance from Headingley cricket ground.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The first east coast service to Leeds will arrive at 0823 on Monday, that shouldn't be a problem.
I suspect that the OP feels that the cost of that service is not viable, not the times.

Sheffield on the 0527 from St Pancras is currently £43.50 advance single but apart from that, and the Hull Trains trip to Doncaster, I can't see any feasible way of getting a reasonable fare to Leeds in the morning. Then £4.50 onwards on Northern from Sheffield to Leeds.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect that the OP feels that the cost of that service is not viable, not the times.

Sheffield on the 0527 from St Pancras is currently £43.50 advance single but apart from that, and the Hull Trains trip to Doncaster, I can't see any feasible way of getting a reasonable fare to Leeds in the morning. Then £4.50 onwards on Northern from Sheffield to Leeds.

£71.50 Any Permitted Anytime Return with Priv. Wish I could pay that.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
London to Leeds is part of LNER’s single leg pricing initiative.

So with Priv an Anytime Single from Kings Cross to Leeds for the outbound journey is £35.75. Use a Super Off Peak single for the return journey costing £15.80, which is valid on any train arriving into London after 11:17.

philjo

Established Member
It has been announced that admission to Headingley is free tomorrow. So if you already have a ticket that cost will be refunded.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
London to Leeds is part of LNER’s single leg pricing initiative.

So with Priv an Anytime Single from Kings Cross to Leeds for the outbound journey is £35.75. Use a Super Off Peak single for the return journey costing £15.80, which is valid on any train arriving into London after 11:17.

Even better. That is a steal! :)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can do it for £21.75 if you're happy to stick to Hull Trains between Kings Cross and Doncaster - you'd buy:

Kings Cross to Doncaster Off-Peak Day Return route Hull Trains only (£17.75)
Doncaster to Wakefield Off-Peak Day Return route Any Permitted (£2.35)
Wakefield to Headingley Off-Peak Day Return route via Leeds (£1.65)

Outward you'd get the 07:27 Hull Trains service off Kings Cross (there's no morning restrictions off the Cross on that Hull Trains only ticket). Change at Doncaster and Leeds, arrive at 10:03 (Burley Park)/10:06 (Headingley).

Return you'd get the 18:44 (Headingley)/18:47 (Burley Park), change at Leeds and Doncaster then take the 20:04 Hull Trains service back to the Cross.

There aren't a huge number of Hull Trains services (certainly nothing earlier out of London or later to London) but they do seem to fit your required times reasonably well. There's also a 18:04 HT service from Doncaster if you want to return a little earlier, although the Wakefield-Headingley ticket has an evening peak restriction between 16:00-18:30, so you'd need an Anytime ticket (£1.95, i.e. 30p extra) for that bit if you wanted the flexibility to catch the 18:04.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
The match isn't going to go on too late, at current rate of progress, so no need to worry about the evening restriction at Headingley. :)

PS Enjoy - I'm still in the ticket queue and don't fancy my chances :(

Status
Not open for further replies.