• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TS2014 & Windows 8.1 Tablet PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil8715

Would TS2014 play on a full Windows 8.1 Tablet PC?

I know it wouldn't work a RT Surface as it app based rather than a full version of Windows 8.1 you can get on tablets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
If say in theory yes but in reality I doubt the required power would be available on a tablet

ModernRailways

Established Member
Which tablet / laptop? If you're after one and have a budget I'll have a look around for you :)

As Crossover said it would in theory run because its Windows, but in practice it's unlikely as there aren't may tablets with good enough specs.

It runs on Medium settings on my Surface Pro 3 (128gb, i5 model - not available for general consumers here in the UK yet), I could probably push it up to high though.

My old Surface Pro 1 I have no idea about, I use Steam in-home streaming and that works but you must be connected to your home wifi and have your main PC on to play it.

phil8715

The problem I have is my laptop is useless it struggles to play it without freezing and stuttering. My wifi isn't upto the job either because I only have 2/3mb internet, as where I live my street hasn't been upgraded to Virgin Media fibre, the village I live in is cabled but my street was built after they installed it. As for BT my local exchange the upgrade to fibre has been put back for another 18 months. When I play videos on YouTube a 3 minute video could take upto 20 minutes to watch because it keeps buffering.

I would have to have a standalone tablet that don't have to stream, also my laptop doesn't meet the minimum spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GB

Established Member
Why not just get a new laptop rather than a tablet? A tablet may be cool and easy to carry around but what you gain in portability you will lose in performance and price.

About the only tablet capable of running games half decently is probably the i5 and i7 surface pro 3, but they are comparatively expensive, have either an HD4400 or HD5000 integrated graphics which aren't great and suffer from thermal throttling (more so the i7 version). Ironically the surface pro 2 is better suited to games than the surface pro 3.

Last edited:

alex17595

It would probably overheat very quickly, and intergrated graphics are not the best for heavy gaming.
Also how would you use controls: bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

Battery use would also be a problem (it will go very quick!)

ModernRailways

Established Member
There are plenty of high end laptops that function as tablets nowadays. It all depends on how much you want to spend. For me, buying the Surface Pro 3 (yet to buy it, got a review version though) will kill two birds with one stone. I want a productivity machine, but I also want something that is portable and can be used quickly. The Pro 3 ticks those boxes plus I'm loving it! The Pro 3 also means I don't have to keep an extra tablet alongside my usual Macbook as it functions as both.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, there are laptops that would play Train Sim for around £600-£700 but there are lapblets (laptop+tablet) that are around £800+ and would also play Train Sim.

You should keep in mind that Laptops aren't officially supported too, but then again loads of people use Train Sim on a Laptop.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It would probably overheat very quickly, and intergrated graphics are not the best for heavy gaming.
Also how would you use controls: bluetooth keyboard/mouse?

Battery use would also be a problem (it will go very quick!)

Integrated graphics chips have come along way ;) My main desktop could play Train Sim, albeit on low, without an external GPU.

sng7

The problem I have is my laptop is useless it struggles to play it without freezing and stuttering. My wifi isn't upto the job either because I only have 2/3mb internet, as where I live my street hasn't been upgraded to Virgin Media fibre, the village I live in is cabled but my street was built after they installed it. As for BT my local exchange the upgrade to fibre has been put back for another 18 months. When I play videos on YouTube a 3 minute video could take upto 20 minutes to watch because it keeps buffering.

I would have to have a standalone tablet that don't have to stream, also my laptop doesn't meet the minimum spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we speak about the streaming what is actually happening is that a capable desktop PC in your house streams the game to your tablet (or laptop would also work) via your router so as long as the router inside your house is up to scratch your internet speed shouldn't make any difference

Status
Not open for further replies.