• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TS2022 Valley Lines Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Didcote

All sounds very interesting - and that's quite the amount of track! The amount of scenario potential in that small amount of route is really cool: there seems to be something for everyone!

-Peter
Still lots to do! Currently as far as Caerphilly tunnel on the Rhymney line! Still need to finish laying the track on the Bridgend Ford branch

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Still lots to do! Currently as far as Caerphilly tunnel on the Rhymney line! Still need to finish laying the track on the Bridgend Ford branch
Oh wow :lol:
I don't understand how you can get so much work done on the route - I'd have given up ten times over by now!

-Peter

Jacob Didcote

Oh wow :lol:
I don't understand how you can get so much work done on the route - I'd have given up ten times over by now!

-Peter
Only the track unfortunately. Wish it was all the scenery too haha! As some people would say it's the easiest part of the route building process but i will say i've had my fair share of challenges with track laying! Just want to get the track work out the way really.

-Jake

Peter C

Established Member
Only the track unfortunately. Wish it was all the scenery too haha! As some people would say it's the easiest part of the route building process but i will say i've had my fair share of challenges with track laying! Just want to get the track work out the way really.

-Jake
Even so, that's a lot of work. The main problems I had were getting the gradients and curves right: trying to use the super-elevation tool is a pain!

-Peter

Jacob Didcote

Long time no see!

Been busy building the route! Unfortunately still in the track laying phase! :(...but, I have covered quite a lot!

On the Rhonnda Line, the track has been laid as far as just outside Pontypridd station. This is the second longest vertical line. The longest line on the right is the Rhymney line. I have still got to finish the Cwmbargoed branch as well as adding markers to the track Other that that I have been busy moving down and settling in South Wales! This has given me the opportunity to freely go and explore the Valley Lines to get references etc.

Attachments

• Capture Rhymnry.PNG
    Capture Rhymnry.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 32

Baz37

Long time no see!

Been busy building the route! Unfortunately still in the track laying phase! :(...but, I have covered quite a lot!

On the Rhonnda Line, the track has been laid as far as just outside Pontypridd station. This is the second longest vertical line. The longest line on the right is the Rhymney line. I have still got to finish the Cwmbargoed branch as well as adding markers to the track Other that that I have been busy moving down and settling in South Wales! This has given me the opportunity to freely go and explore the Valley Lines to get references etc.
Thanks for the update, considering you have had to deal with all the hassle and stress that goes with moving the work is coming on great.

Jacob Didcote

Hope everything is OK, not seen any posts for a while.
Hi Baz, sorry for the major delay in replying. Just very slow at the moment so busy with just general living at the moment! Just finding the time and motivation to get on with it! Thank you for checking up on me!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
This looks like an incredible route! I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes of it and hopefully I'll be able to play it in the future, it really does look impressive.

Jacob Didcote

It's been over a year since the last update so I apologise. Been slowly chipping away at the route. Here's a small teaser. Uni work has taken over for quite sometime but I can assure you the route is being worked on bit by bit!

Attachments

• Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.46724--3.18946_11-19-38.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.46724--3.18946_11-19-38.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.46734--3.18965_11-13-49.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.46734--3.18965_11-13-49.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 47

Baz37

Good to hear your still working on it, I appreciate how much time it takes up producing a line.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
It's been over a year since the last update so I apologise. Been slowly chipping away at the route. Here's a small teaser. Uni work has taken over for quite sometime but I can assure you the route is being worked on bit by bit!
No worries mate. Glad to hear it's still in the works! What sort of price are you thinking of charging for it?

Jacob Didcote

No worries mate. Glad to hear it's still in the works! What sort of price are you thinking of charging for it?
As it requires other routes for scenery, etc. I will probably release it as a freeware route but I may include a donation pot on the download page.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
As it requires other routes for scenery, etc. I will probably release it as a freeware route but I may include a donation pot on the download page.
Sounds great! What other routes might it require so I can check whether I have them / need to have them before it releases?

Jacob Didcote

Sounds great! What other routes might it require so I can check whether I have them / need to have them before it releases?
As of now it will require the SWC: Bristol to Swansea, NWC Crewe-Llandudno, JT Common Library, some assets from UKTS. I'm sure there are other requirements but can't think of them off the top of my head!

Jacob Didcote

Not perfect but gives the sense of depth and realism. The before and after of the triangle located next to Cardiff Canton. The triangle is from Radyr Branch Junction, Penarth South Curve Junction and Penarth Curve North Junction. A complete revamp of the unrealistic DTG take on the route. As mentioned at the start it is not perfect but this is the quality you can expect from this route!

Attachments

• Screenshot_South Wales Coastal - Bristol to Swansea_51.47431--3.19230_12-03-09.jpg
    Screenshot_South Wales Coastal - Bristol to Swansea_51.47431--3.19230_12-03-09.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47437--3.19225_11-00-26.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47437--3.19225_11-00-26.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47407--3.19310_11-00-16.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47407--3.19310_11-00-16.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47413--3.19269_11-00-03.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47413--3.19269_11-00-03.jpg
    730.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47444--3.19218_11-21-47.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.47444--3.19218_11-21-47.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 37

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Not perfect but gives the sense of depth and realism. The before and after of the triangle located next to Cardiff Canton. The triangle is from Radyr Branch Junction, Penarth South Curve Junction and Penarth Curve North Junction. A complete revamp of the unrealistic DTG take on the route. As mentioned at the start it is not perfect but this is the quality you can expect from this route!
That looks incredible, stunning work.

Jacob Didcote

Before and after. Cardiff Queen Street North Junction. Cheers DTG for making it an absolute ballache! Still WIP but definitely an upgrade and more realistic than what is was!
Signals, buildings and roads were placed willy nilly etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_South Wales Coastal - Bristol to Swansea_51.48507--3.17122_18-46-36.jpg
    Screenshot_South Wales Coastal - Bristol to Swansea_51.48507--3.17122_18-46-36.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.48499--3.17122_18-53-31.jpg
    Screenshot_SWC - Bristol to Swansea + Valley Lines_51.48499--3.17122_18-53-31.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 30

Jacob Didcote

Hi All!

Hope you are all well!

After weighing out the pros and cons, I have made the executive decision to restart the route. This is down to the following issues;

• Currently uses the SWC Bristol-Swansea route which is now obsolete and most users will have access to the SWML
  • Might have forgotten what assets I have used....oops! (I know it's easy enough to look on the pop-out but would rather have a clear list of requirements!)
  • There are issues with the track that I would like to iron out but would be easier to restart
  • Upon restarting I will focus on the shorter branches first instead of laying over 50 miles of track and having no idea where to start which is what I am currently doing
On the upside, I have a few people in the pipeline who are willing to help me with the project in terms of asset creation and scenery work which will speed up the process instead of being a one man army. I have learnt a lot about route building during this time and I hope I can transfer these skills into the new route. It will still be based around 2016 during ATW ownership. The phases are TBC but I have a rough idea of what I want them to be. I will update you all more regularly with the project as I severely lack in updates across the board! I will NOT be putting a release date on this as I've had many people on Facebook message me constantly asking when it's being released so if there is no release date there's no issues!

I hope you all understand the situation and I believe it will be the right decision to make it more accessible to everyone!

Pic for attention!

Many Thanks,

Jake
1684147013412.jpeg

Update #1

The track to Radyr via the Taff Vale and City line has been complete!

Work on the scenery will now take place before moving on to further lines. I think this was a good stopping point otherwise it'll get too out of hand like the previous attempt!
Onwards and upwards!!!
1684276881786.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.