• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TSC 47 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
This loco is great! One thing which I think could make it a bit better is if the 'motor2' file could be played when for example you're cruising at 60MPH with the throttle off and then you apply power because at the moment there isn't any rev in that situation.

Apart from that it is excellent and I hope Zane doesn't mind me making constructive critiscism.

Guinness

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
Apart from that it is excellent and I hope Zane doesn't mind me making constructive critiscism.

I think any constructive critiscism is welcome. If any future patches were to be made then minor problems could be fixed to make the piece of work even better. :)

Downloading it in a couple of minutes. :)

richa2002

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
This loco is great! One thing which I think could make it a bit better is if the 'motor2' file could be played when for example you're cruising at 60MPH with the throttle off and then you apply power because at the moment there isn't any rev in that situation.

To follow on from my post, I had a go at editing it myself by replacing the original powerup sound file by the motor2 sound file. This does do what I have said but the sound plays from a standing start too! (As soon as you go into P1).

Jim

Established Member
Helps I can still smell the clag from yesterday, kind of made it a 4D experiance :lol: , well done to everyone!

Simon_G

Richard Armstrong said:
One thing which I think could make it a bit better is if the 'motor2' file could be played when for example you're cruising at 60MPH with the throttle off and then you apply power because at the moment there isn't any rev in that situation.
If you have the throttle off, the engine drops to idle so you hear the idling sound only. When you apply power, the revving up sound is played, blending into the motor sound. What's wrong with this setup?

richa2002

Established Member
I'm going to take a video of the modification I've made and I'll explain what I'd like. The point is, is that in the 'powerup' sound file, you can't hear any exhaust sound unlike 'motor2'.
[EDIT]
Here's the vid, what I am talking about is getting rid of the 'motor2' sound when doing a standing start but still having it in the situation which is at 1 min and 21 seconds into the video.
http://rich.mjspencer.com/Random/BVE_47_Mod.wmv

richa2002

Established Member
Fixed. Also, the wheelslipping is deliberate for entertainment value! The video was taken purely for sound so ignore all my driving errors.

Simon_G

Andy, you can use the 47 on many routes, but there are none specifically written for it yet. If you don't know how to edit a route file to change the train, then try downloading the BVE Route Randomizer from http://koti.mbnet.fi/lopomo/trainsoft.

Richard Armstrong said:
I'm going to take a video of the modification I've made and I'll explain what I'd like. The point is, is that in the 'powerup' sound file, you can't hear any exhaust sound unlike 'motor2'.
Ah - I see what you mean. Good point. The same sound is played whatever the speed when you open up from idle, so the powerup sound has been designed to fit in with the sounds you hear when starting away. Unfortunately, some things in BVE are a compromise, but we do find new ways round from time to time.

wumpty

Thanks for the comments guys.

Richard Armstrong said:
[EDIT]
Here's the vid, what I am talking about is getting rid of the 'motor2' sound when doing a standing start but still having it in the situation which is at 1 min and 21 seconds into the video.
http://rich.mjspencer.com/Random/BVE_47_Mod.wmv

The thing is that those 'exhaust' sounds really are the way we modelled them, you just don't get the sounds when you open up the throttle either from a stand or at speed - it's more of a general rumble as recorded for powerup.wav. The clouds of clag combined with the rising and falling exhaust notes only occur between about 5 and 20mph as the governor sorts itself out.

Andy

Simon_G said:
Andy, you can use the 47 on many routes, but there are none specifically written for it yet. If you don't know how to edit a route file to change the train, then try downloading the BVE Route Randomizer from http://koti.mbnet.fi/lopomo/trainsoft.

Yer i know that, i was just asking what you would say is the best to edit

richa2002

Established Member
wumpty said:
Thanks for the comments guys.

The thing is that those 'exhaust' sounds really are the way we modelled them, you just don't get the sounds when you open up the throttle either from a stand or at speed - it's more of a general rumble as recorded for powerup.wav. The clouds of clag combined with the rising and falling exhaust notes only occur between about 5 and 20mph as the governor sorts itself out.
Ah ok, thanks for your reply.

Boxcars

Thanks very much for the BVE4 (not forgetting the BVE 2.6.3 version) of the Class 47. Being an older member of the Forum these wonderful machines, to me, are still remembered as Brush Type 4s. One day on Cambridge Station (35 years ago) my friends and I cabbed a Brush 4 and the driver let us loose in the “engine room” warning us to be careful because it was “very hot in there”. Health and Safety wasn’t an issue then, life was fun :blob: :blob: and a real challenge. There were six of us! Then this wonderful driver said “would you like to drive it to the depot son?” adding that we would have to walk back from the engine sheds afterwards. I haven’t a clue who the driver was, and to be fair, he only let me take the locomotive just beyond the end of platform 4 … Cambridge Station is VERY long). So, like in BVE 2.6.3, I’m driving a Brush Type 4 again and loving it. Just taken it down the Clarendon.:cheers:

Simon_G

andy said:
Yer i know that, i was just asking what you would say is the best to edit
I've mostly run it on the NWM HST and Voyager diagrams and it just about keeps up if you push it. If you have the time, the 0940 Maybank-Ludgate Hill is great fun. For a short route, try Barnt Green-New St on X-City.

Dennis

Established Member
Had a drive on NWM earlier - must say it's a lovely train to drive (although this EE fan thinks the sounds are bit tame;) .)

Well done to all involved; may I dare enquire what's next (a holiday I suspect!!)

Guinness

Established Member
Simon_G said:
I've mostly run it on the NWM HST and Voyager diagrams and it just about keeps up if you push it. If you have the time, the 0940 Maybank-Ludgate Hill is great fun. For a short route, try Barnt Green-New St on X-City.

I've tried mine on a 37 XC Diagram Maybank - Hammerwich as the timings are quite similar. :)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Chaz said:
I've tried mine on a 37 XC Diagram Maybank - Hammerwich as the timings are quite similar. :)
If you run it on the HST diagrams and really push it you can do it without losing more than a minute or two.

NORTH STAR

I ran it earlier on the Redditch - New St 37 Railtour. The timings for that are just right.

I also ran it fast from Reading-Newbury and got 95 by Aldermaston :happy3: ;)

Harold

I drove it on the Maybank to Hammerwich fast diagram. Really suits this loco although, shame the handles arn't animated, other than that, the sounds are great.

A really good ad-on

Bill EWS

Hi Everyone,
Got a nice surprise on getting home late yesterday evening and found the BVE4 47n ready for downloading. I added this to the HST file for Edinburgh/Aberdeen and gave it a run to Inverkeithing then from Dundee to Arbroath to see how it handled on the long 100mp stretch (at 95mph, of course). It looks and sounds pretty good and excelleration was very much as I would expect from a 47. I Missed the opening sounds as the Govorner trys to settle between 0-25 and on opening the controller after crousing. It didn't sound quite right. But overall, it is an excellent train and congratulations all round for a great effort. Hope that the controls can be animated before long.

The '47' is my favourite of favourites and it is really nice to have such a high quality loco for BVE4. The BVE2 graphic 47 is also very good but the new realistic image is a great improvement.

Here are a couple of photos of myself at the controls, and alongside a 'Type 4' back in 1965, at Eastliegh yard after arrival from Didcot. This was before air brakes came in and a duel brake handle was fitted. I never did like the duel brake for vaccum use, it ruined the speed of both application and release of the vaccum brake, leaving next to no brake 'characteristics'. This was because the vaccum brake had to work through the air brake 'stem' first, instead of the direct to air application as originally built.

Also note that there are only five gauges on the desk (the AMP gauge is to the far right). The sixth was the new 'train brake' air gauge, also used for the brake continuity test.

I was 24 when these pictures were taken, by my driver, the late Ron Smith. It hardly seems possible now!!! But I have fond memories of getting to know the 47's and handling them when they were brand new.

Bill47Eastleighc1966.jpg

Bill47EastleighYard1966.jpg

Younger members may be interested in the type of wagons in use then! They are virtually what you see at most preserved railways today, as 'Classic' vehicles. When diesles came in they simply replaced the steam locomotive and the trains themselves remained the same. This went on for some years, until all trains became 'fully' air braked and new designs of wagon started coming on stream.

One of the problems at the time was derailments due to the shorter wheelbase wagons and the extension of long welded rail. Diesel locomotives would excellerate the train to maximimum speed far quicker than a steam loco and hold that speed for much longer. The rail joins actually aided stability when the wagons were near to, or at maximum speed, but without the joins wagons would hunt badly, to the point where they could jump the rails. Longer wheel based wagons solved this problem, although many types of older wagon had a speed restriction placed on them until they too were replaced. Ask any driver of the frustration when they had a fully braked train that could run up to 60 mph, only to find that one 'older' wagon was in the train!!!

Cheers.

BillEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.