• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT is back (apparently)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
So this happened today...

One of the world’s leading model railway manufacturers PECO, has announced the launch of its new TT:120 scale model railway track and accessories.

So PECO had decided British TT is back. It's a scale I've always been surprised never came back as space became tighter in homes but N is a bit small for some features.

While it never really died on the Continent it is very much moribund in the UK and has been for some time. So I wonder what PECO knows that we don't when it comes to a resurrection.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So this happened today...

So PECO had decided British TT is back. It's a scale I've always been surprised never came back as space became tighter in homes but N is a bit small for some features.

While it never really died on the Continent it is very much moribund in the UK and has been for some time. So I wonder what PECO knows that we don't when it comes to a resurrection.

Has there been any demand for the resurgence of TT? If there was, it would have had a following of sorts. I mean, there's a following for interests like EM and P4 - not mainstream, but enough to sustain a few niche suppliers.

Unless PECO plans to back its words up with a complete range of products from every conceivable era, I can't see this going anywhere.

Iskra

Established Member
It’s a good idea, but it’s down to the manufacturer’s to take a risk and lead the way with this one. It’s great having the track but it’s pointless without anything to run on it.

Theoretically TT would be great for me and allow me to do so much more in the space I have, but there’s currently no incentive to do so without a reasonable selection of rolling stock to run and when there is so much available in oo.

Gloster

Established Member
There are some British items available from 3mm Scale Model Railways, but it is likely to be very much a kit or scratch builder’s scale. Otherwise, the majority of ready-to-run models are of German and Central European prototypes.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I have a handful of Tri-ang TT stuff from my late dad's childhood set: a couple of steam locos and a few coaches. There's also a fair bit of track but this is steel and has been in storage for some time so may have seen better days. There has definitely been an attempt or three in the last few years to relaunch 3mm scale in the UK, so I hope it is a success. I'm currently working on a 4mm project, but doing something with 3mm would be of interest if there was any new RTR stuff.

PeterY

Established Member
I've often thought what a wonderful gauge TT would be to work in and I wish it'd stuck around. I haven't really the space for a permanent OO layout but I find N so fiddley with 64 year old eyes . I can't see TT ever making a comeback and I've neither the patience or skill to scratch build.

Gloster

Established Member
There are only fourteen items in the range: flexible track, RH and LH points, buffer stops, an odd sleeper, three buildings and six platform options: the track is Code 55, so some existing parts can be used. Seven plank wagons and signals are supposed to follow.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wish them luck with this. 00 is fairly compromised with the width of the track and that’s always been an issue for me.
If it ever took off I would seriously consider looking at 3mm if everything was properly to scale.

TheEdge

Established Member
I wish them luck with this. 00 is fairly compromised with the width of the track and that’s always been an issue for me.
If it ever took off I would seriously consider looking at 3mm if everything was properly to scale.

It probably won't be.

Gaugemaster have announced at the same time (presumably with prior knowledge and discussion with PECO) a range of TT kit. However it's just some of Veissmann's TT range with a Gaugemaster brand. So it'll be 1:120 Continental rather than Tri-ang British TT scale of 1:100.

Perhaps GM and PECO are just going to dump the 1:100 scale which while alienating the (admittedly small) pre-existing 3mm modellers allows them to start fresh at 1:120 and make more use of the existing European market and manufacturers.

Or we'll end up with another OO/HO or 1:148/1:160 N scale split scale.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It probably won't be.

Gaugemaster have announced at the same time (presumably with prior knowledge and discussion with PECO) a range of TT kit. However it's just some of Veissmann's TT range with a Gaugemaster brand. So it'll be 1:120 Continental rather than Tri-ang British TT scale of 1:100.

Perhaps GM and PECO are just going to dump the 1:100 scale which while alienating the (admittedly small) pre-existing 3mm modellers allows them to start fresh at 1:120 and make more use of the existing European market and manufacturers.

Or we'll end up with another OO/HO or 1:148/1:160 N scale split scale.

You’d hope that history will have been learned from and rather than compromise it’s done properly for any future modellers in that scale.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
You’d hope that history will be have been learned from and rather than compromise it’s done properly for any future modellers in that scale.

Logic would say ditch the 1:100, use 1:120 and standardise across the board.

I find there is quite a bit of 1:148 N I'd love to use (various building, cross Channel wagons) but the difference to 1:160 means its not really acceptable (to me at least). The Dapol Cargowaggon for example. Should be able to slot those among my mixed continental freights but they'll look the same size as the continental wagons rather than slightly smaller. Same with various 66 models.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Logic would say ditch the 1:100, use 1:120 and standardise across the board.

I find there is quite a bit of 1:148 N I'd love to use (various building, cross Channel wagons) but the difference to 1:160 means its not really acceptable (to me at least). The Dapol Cargowaggon for example. Should be able to slot those among my mixed continental freights but they'll look the same size as the continental wagons rather than slightly smaller. Same with various 66 models.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the road vehicles I could do with but my friend bought a 1:160 Unimog recently and it looks ridiculously small. :lol:

(Edited to get the scale right)

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Couldn’t agree more. It’s the road vehicles I could do with but my friend bought a 1:148 Unimog recently and it looks ridiculously small. :lol:

You wouldn't think it would make as much of a noticeable difference as it actually does

Gloster

Established Member
Slightly off at a tangent. I went to my nearest model shop today to get some bits. While looking for something else I noted that three or four manufacturers’ OO oil drums were on the hangers. Only a quick look made it fairly clear that, although they were all of the 44-gallon steel type, they were clearly of different sizes and would look ill-assorted if put together. I had previously noticed this and had decided to stick with the Bachmann ones: they look about right and, even if they aren’t, there won’t be a different size to compare them with. It might be because, even though they are marked as OO, they are sourced from different places (UK, US, Europe, etc.) and have been made to the correct scale for their country of origin. However, I noticed the same differences with models of the old-fashioned domestic metal dustbin (the ones that stank) and this was, I think, a UK only design.

TheEdge

Established Member
So Heljan have now thrown their hat into the ring with a Class 31. I guess quite a few manufacturers were talking about this behind closed doors.

Iskra

Established Member
So Heljan have now thrown their hat into the ring with a Class 31. I guess quite a few manufacturers were talking about this behind closed doors.
That’s very interesting!

I think a sensible development for manufacturers would be for them to release a few items grouped around an already popular theme: ie GWR branchline with a pannier, autocoach, a couple of GWR wagons and a diesel railcar, plus a modern version with perhaps a sprinter, a loco and suitable stock- the West Highland Line could be ideal using a Scotrail 156 and then doing a 73/66 and MK5 rake and possibly some engineering wagons too. That way at least some modellers can run a complete set to draw them in and more items can be added at a later date.

Edit: also mentioned in the above article are a Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0 and an 08. So some basic foundations for layouts are being provided then :)

And you’ve got to say fair play to Heljan for a taking a gamble on this!

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey.
Must not look at the pictures of the 31 again…

Gloster

Established Member
The latest Railway Modeller hints that Peco might be considering a GWR 2251 Class 0-6-0. They did one in N, so presumably a lot of the preliminary design work and assessment is effectively already done.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think I saw some TT items on either Hattons or Rails of Sheffield websites a few days ago.

Gloster

Established Member
It looks as though Hornby are joining in with quite a wide range, although everything is ‘Available to Pre-order’. A skim through the range suggests (to me) that they are going for the train-set market.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It looks as though Hornby are joining in with quite a wide range, although everything is ‘Available to Pre-order’. A skim through the range suggests (to me) that they are going for the train-set market.
And as a result, Heljan has abandoned its plans... rather than complimenting the planned Heljan range, Hornby decided to duplicate the initial three announced by Heljan.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And as a result, Heljan has abandoned its plans... rather than complimenting the planned Heljan range, Hornby decided to duplicate the initial three announced by Heljan.
Typical... anyone would think Hornby didn't actually want to grow the market or interest in the hobby. They aren't the only manufacturer that seems to put their own short-term interests above the long-term at times, but they do seem to be the most blatantly exploitative.

Of course as a business their main concern is their own profitability and rightly so, but some of their decisions will end up doing them harm in the long term.

RichJF

Typical... anyone would think Hornby didn't actually want to grow the market or interest in the hobby. They aren't the only manufacturer that seems to put their own short-term interests above the long-term at times, but they do seem to be the most blatantly exploitative.

Of course as a business their main concern is their own profitability and rightly so, but some of their decisions will end up doing them harm in the long term.
Don't get me started on Simon Kohler...

TheEdge

Established Member
Don't get me started on Simon Kohler...

Please do, we can compare notes on how much of a despicable slimy businessman he is.

He was stood with his production prototypes with their lies of delivery dates at Milton Keynes and I had to resist the urge to ask him if he now understands how intellectual property works.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Hornby released this YouTube video a few days ago. It largely consists of several members of staff being interviewed and saying "yeah it's smaller than OO so great if you haven't got much room".

Big Jumby 74

Another big TT:120 push in the latest RM, although I only skimmed through it. It certainly gives the modelling press a whole new workstream going forward.....:rolleyes:

Peter C

Established Member
Sums up Hornby entirely. They seem to like 'duplicating' (for want of a diplomatic term ;)) other manufacturer's products - there was the so-called "Titfieldgate" only a relatively short time ago, wasn't there? Have I missed another case, or are we now waiting for Hornby and Mr. Kohler to score their 'hat trick' and I don't know, announce their own, brand-new, Bachmann Collectors Club? :lol:

I've found this on this RMWeb thread, discussing the topic:

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Apologies for reviving a dormant thread, but somehow Hornby managed to monumentally screw up something as simple as the track for their flagship new TT:120 range.

Simon Kohler really is the Mark Fotheringham of business, isn't he!

Iskra

Established Member
I saw this on a well known YouTube channel this evening too. Anyone wanting geometrically correct TT track, you can source this from Peco :)

Although I don't model TT gauge, would it not be possible to trim or file the outer rail on the curved pieces just enough in order to make the curved pieces fit properly or do you think it would have been better if the new TT train sets would have been better if they had been supplied with just straight track and turnouts / points ( whichever term you prefer ) and then create curved track using TT gauge flexible track if it is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.