• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’m starting something new. A thread where I will review and critic TOC’s products, such as their first class service, or other services such as Pullman Dining, Chiltern Business Zone, etc. Hence the title of the thread.

Coming up soon within the next few days:

Virgin Pendolino First Class Review (Weekday; London - Glasgow)

CrossCountry First Class Review
(Weekday; Reading - Southampton)

and more including SWR and GWR.

I hope you enjoy these reviews, obviously I’m a bit of an amateur but I will do my best.

Z :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin Trains First Class - Morning

Travelled: January 2018.

Where: Euston to Glasgow Ctrl

Stock: Class 390 Pendolino

Many positive reviews of the Virgin Pendolino breakfast service had me bursting with curiosity and desperate to try this apparently wonderful service for myself. So, as you can imagine, when I found weekday first class return tickets down to Glasgow Central from London Euston for £35 (under 16s ticket) in the sale, I was pretty delighted.

London Euston is where I started my journey with Virgin. As most of you will know if you have a VTWC booking your journey from the capital city, it is almost definitely going to start from London Euston.

The concourse was fairly busy, but the first class lounge was not. There was plenty on offer at 7am, pastries, almond croissants, gigantic flapjacks, fresh fruit and muffins. Hot and cold drinks were on offer, as were cans of R Whites Lemonade and Pepsi Max. They had orange and apple juice and I believe after midday the bar sells heavily discounted alcohol.

Virgin Trains send you a text update when your train is about to board. They did not fail to do so today and I went to my eleven coach Pendolino which was to form the 0743 to Glasgow Central via Birmingham New Street, journey time expected to be just over five and a half hours. I chose the two hourly service via Birmingham as I like my journeys to stretch out - but if you like to get there A.S.A.P. then the hourly Glasgow express does the job in just four point five hours :) That is often much busier though...

The train was four minutes late departing but it did so with a fairly empty load. Less than a quarter of the seats were taken.

Speaking of seats, I’ll describe one. Nice and large with comically fat armrests and a very decent recline. Leg room is brilliant. Plug socket on the table.

I did enjoy Virgin’s weekend service five times last year but you notice the difference between weekday and weekend massively right from the start.

As soon as I had boarded a customer service assistant marched through the train offering tea, closely followed by one offering coffee. Then a third one follows them taking orders for breakfast. I ordered Eggs Benedict. My brother ordered the full English breakfast.

The train crept out silently of Euston, before I had even lost sight of the long winding platforms two more hosts arrived. One poured me juice, another placed two slices of toast on a designated toast plate and proffer a large basked of spreads.

There is a cloth napkin wrapped around a nice little stainless steel cutlery set consisting of knife, fork, tablespoon and teaspoon. It’s a nice gesture, especially as I’m all to familiar with plastic cutlery from CrossCountry First Class :(

The toast was quite chewy I won’t lie - but pleasant all the same. Having had the toast as well as a banana and pastry in the lounge I was starting to feel rather full, but shortly before we came into Milton Keynes Central the breakfasts arrived.

This was mine.

0AC3A098-9FCB-4DBD-AA46-1EA50C85F35B.jpeg
I was extremely impressed at the presentation and quality. I was very relieved to say that the bacon was wonderfully lean and not fatty. It was very nice as well.

This is the full English.

07F95A92-C8DA-48FF-8425-B32FAF124E8E.jpeg

I was stuffed by the time I had eaten this, and declined the offer of additional light snacks.

Tea, coffee and juice were refilled every time a member of staff saw a mug empty. After each station the full trolley would swing by and offer a range of cold drinks too. Pepsi (not a favourite of mine as it tastes like a cheap alternative to Coca-Cola), Lemonade, Ginger Ale, etc.

Each first class carriage (4 on 11 car trains, 3 on 9 car trains) has a shelf loaded with bottles of sparkling and still water. You can help yourself.

The Wi-Fi is a pain. You have to sign up twice for it to work I always find. But after you’ve done that it’s reliable (and free in first class)

After departure from Birmingham New Street orders were taken again. I didn’t want anything heavy so I asked if they had any fruit. I had an apple or orange in mind but they went off and came back with a massive fruit salad, alongside a random but nice gesture of Greek yoghurt and honey. I gave my brother the yoghurt because I don’t like dairy products very much. The fruit salad was delicious. Very hard to finish though because an hour ago I’d just had my filling hot meal!

1A143363-E9AD-4EDD-921E-E30FF2461E2F.jpeg

Tea and coffee were offered again twice between Birmingham and Preston. We were delayed by about twenty minutes outside Stafford due to overhead line issues, but I didn’t mind as the seat I was in was so comfortable, I wanted the journey to last as long as possible!

At Lancaster the crew who had changed at Preston offered bacon rolls, toasties or tomato soup. I chose a bacon roll. The bacon was quite fatty to my disgust, so I left most of it.

6303AA30-9519-47F3-B203-5FED2E662832.jpeg

All passengers were also given nice little chocolate cookies with their light brunches. They also offered further tea and coffee multiple times while we sped through the Lakes. Wow, the scenery is nice. Not as nice as Scotland and it doesn’t touch anywhere like Switzerland or Canada, but considering it’s at 125mph and in England the views through the Lakes are certainly very good!!! The train tilts A LOT though, I enjoy it when my beloved Pendolinos do this but it may cause motion sickness in some people, I don’t know. It is an extremely noticeable tilt - but then again that’s going to happen trademark of my favourite class of train. :)

The drinks trolley came through after Carlisle. My brother ordered a Pepsi, I had a Ginger Ale. The hostesses dished out pretzels and before we knew it the journey was sadly concluding. :(

You can check out the Virgin Trains (West Coast) first class menu using the link below.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/first-class/menu

So - what were my thoughts this time?

Well, the Pendolino never fails to impress me. I like the first class seats very much, love the train class to bits and don’t mind the smaller windows. But I was really impressed with how quickly food was served and the quality! It was so quick that a passenger going to Milton Keynes enjoyed an Eggs Florentine. Drinks were ridiculously regular, tea and coffee and juice offered a total of nine times during the journey. Obviously I didn’t accept every time, haha. I had two teas over the 5.75 hour journey.

To summarise - breakfast is hot, good quality and comes quickly. It’s fairly small though. Hot drinks flow freely. Cold drinks are regular (about every half hour they come through with the full trolley). Brunch is quite nice, but nothing massively impressive. As for the accommodation, I find it hard to fault it. Personally I find the seat very comfortable, seat is not as hard as on VTEC or GWR first even if it does look less swish. I’ve always found the recline to be good and the moquette traditional and easy on the eye.

That’s today’s trip report. Tomorrow I’ll be criticising the Evening meal service that I received today. I was pleasantly surprised :)

I am sorry for the lack of photos. I have plenty but some won’t upload :(

Dhassell

Sounds like you had a nice outward journey with some cracking looking breakfast!
How can you moan about fat on bacon! I find the fat one of the best bits! :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sounds like you had a nice outward journey with some cracking looking breakfast!
How can you moan about fat on bacon! I find the fat one of the best bits! :lol:
Eugh, can’t stand fat on anything. It was a nice journey, thank you. This afternoon I shall report on Virgin’s Evening Meal service.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Great read. Enjoyed that.

If you don't mind me asking (and feel free to decline to answer) but how old are you? I'm sure I read on a previous post that you are a teenager (I could have got that wrong). If so, that is one impressively written piece. Nice to see in these days of bad grammar and text talk.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Great read. Enjoyed that.

If you don't mind me asking (and feel free to decline to answer) but how old are you? I'm sure I read on a previous post that you are a teenager (I could have got that wrong). If so, that is one impressively written piece. Nice to see in these days of bad grammar and text talk.
I am indeed a teenager and thanj you, those comments are very nice to hear. :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin Trains First Class - Evening

Travelled: January 2018

Where: Glasgow Ctrl to Euston

Stock: Class 390 Pendolino

Good evening,
I won’t lie, I wasn’t expecting to have the best time in Glasgow. It hasn’t got the trams of Edinburgh or the nice views of Aberdeen. But I’d had a great time - my hotel suite was pleasant, it was located near a Taco Bell and with my SPT roundabout ticket I’d managed to get 48 winning units. The subway is also rather amusing. :p

The first class lounge at Glasgow Central was a welcoming place to relax after a hard day of bashing the Argyle line. There is no “dragon” as they are so informally known as, to gain entry you must present your ticket to a camera.

The lounge is small but full of comfortable armchairs and snacks/drinks. As well as the hot drinks machine and fridge filled with soft drinks, fruit, crisps,
pretzels, peanuts, shortbread, bakewell tarts, yoghurt raisins (weird) and more were on offer, waiting for people to help themselves.

The Pendolino began boarding. It was an eleven coach set again and moderately busy today as I would be returning on the Express (non stop from Warrington to Euston).

Luggage was stored, seats were reclined and before we knew it brakes were released, on time.

Immediately upon departure drinks were served. Ginger ale for me, Pepsi for my twin brother, served alongside pretzels. A pleasant way to ease into a long journey. Over 18s received complementary alcohol. Unless you look a decent age you must have ID, as my seventeen year old older brother found out... Nice try!

Shortly after departure from Motherwell cold drinks were served again. I had the same. The Customer Service Hosts busied themselves marching up and down the aisles and pouring themselves endless cups of tea and coffee. Sadly the attractive brunette lady who had served me the day before was not on this train. :(

Afternoon tea was served prior to arrival at Carlisle, consisting of two blissful Chicken Tarragon wraps, crisps and Farmhouse fruit cake. I have always been naturally slim and this has its perks with Virgin, as it meant I received two slices of fruit cake. Well - I wasn’t complaining, I hadn’t eaten since breakfast and by now it was getting dark!

The tilt came into obvious effect whilst speeding through the Lake District. My brothers weren’t overly happy about this - TheAdelante doesn’t like Pendolinos overly and my older brother isn’t a fan of trains at all, but I enjoyed it just as much as I always do. :smile:

Carlisle came and went. As did Penrith North Lakes. Meanwhile I busied myself with the free Wi-Fi while the picturesque Lake District flew by - sadly in darkness...

I looked out of the window and saw Oxenholme Lake District. A wave of nostalgia and fondness swept over me, I remember so clearly my first ever Pendolino journey back when I was about eight or nine that I took from Oxenholme nonstop down to Preston :)

Speaking of Preston, when we arrived the train saw a crew change and a third round of cold drinks. (I say cold because the hot ones were being offered continuously, as soon as the staff had walked from one end of first to the other they’d go straight back to the other end again offering more). We were also instructed to take heed of the nice navy menu on our tables ahead of evening meal orders taken at Wigan North Western.

I ordered Cod Fillet with fondant potatoes and carrot battons. It arrived about half an hour after ordering and although an attractive dainty dish it was - I was blown away by it’s ridiculous tiny size! I can’t believe people make such a fuss over it, I’ve been made fuller by the weekend picnic trays!

However it was very enjoyable as it was a perfect flavour and texture. Irritatingly enough I ended up deleting my photo of it sorry...

The dessert was unavailable- but I wasn’t unhappy as it was just trifle. I prefered the fruit cake and chocolate crumbles I was given as an alternative. I enjoyed hot tea with my meal, then reclined my seat to enjoy the final hour and half, which was greeted with further hot and cold drinks and roasted peanuts.

Summary:

So overall the service was good again. Plenty of hot and cold drinks offered. Afternoon tea fantastic. Evening meal was satisfactory. Tiny portion, great quality. I prefered the service given on the breakfast train though.

My train arrived into Euston 25mins late due to speed restrictions but I was fine with that - I dislike a nice journey to go too quickly!

I’m sorry pictures are once more having trouble uploading. If you happen to have any questions about Virgin’s weekday 1st class service please don’t hesitate to ask. I enjoyed my trip thoroughly and would do it again definitely!

Tomorrow I will be critisizing CrossCountry’s Weekend First Class from the trip I took on them a few days ago! I hope you will join me for that tomorrow.

Until then, have a nice day! (The remaining 25 minutes of it anyway)

Z :)

Chrism20

Established Member
Good read. If I'd eaten all that I think I would have needed the assistance scooter to get me down the platform at central.

Now I'm back to working at Newcastle all the time I really miss those chocolates. I've looked for them in the shops and can't find them. There was one woman who used to work the northbound service I used to get back to Edinburgh on a Friday quite a lot and she alway used to give me a big handful of them.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Good read. If I'd eaten all that I think I would have needed the assistance scooter to get me down the platform at central.

Now I'm back to working at Newcastle all the time I really miss those chocolates. I've looked for them in the shops and can't find them. There was one woman who used to work the northbound service I used to get back to Edinburgh on a Friday quite a lot and she alway used to give me a big handful of them.
Haha. Thank you. Fortunately I have an incredibly fast metabolism so I did not require the assistance scooter this time ;)

TheAdelante

I’m not a fan of Virgin’s rolling stock but the service was very good!

Btw you spelt criticising wrong bro ;)

Established Member
I’m not a fan of Virgin’s rolling stock but the service was very good!

Btw you spelt criticising wrong bro ;)
I agree strongly with that-I've only done the breakfast service, and only once, but they do look after you that's for sure!

anti-pacer

Established Member
I'm guessing your brother is older then, as you overnighted in Glasgow somewhere? You remind me as me as a teenager. I loved travelling about, albeit locally. I lived in Lancashire but used to do West Yorkshire Day Rovers every other week. Part of the reason for this, admittedly was my granddad giving me money when I visited him in Rawdon (near Leeds Bradford Airport).

I also used to travel from Preston to London and back every 2-3 weeks, by myself, to visit my aunty in Ilford, East London. Them were the days.

TheAdelante

I'm guessing your brother is older then, as you overnighted in Glasgow somewhere? You remind me as me as a teenager. I loved travelling about, albeit locally. I lived in Lancashire but used to do West Yorkshire Day Rovers every other week. Part of the reason for this, admittedly was my granddad giving me money when I visited him in Rawdon (near Leeds Bradford Airport).

I also used to travel from Preston to London and back every 2-3 weeks, by myself, to visit my aunty in Ilford, East London. Them were the days.
He has two brothers, me and an older one who is seventeen. Our dad came too though.
I agree strongly with that-I've only done the breakfast service, and only once, but they do look after you that's for sure!
Yes, they do! And my full English was very nice. Except the black pudding, I don’t like those.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Update:

I was going to criticise XC tonight, however, I am rather exhausted from a strenuous day bashing the Great Western Railway Electrostars... if I do it tomorrow it will be of better quality.

So. I know exactly what I am going to say, but unfortunately it has to be delayed.

I should be able to do it tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it :)

cambsy

On Moderation
I’m doing 7 day 1st class ALR in early Feb, so I’ll be sampling lots of food on Virgin West and East Coast, also the GWR Pullman on HST and IET to Swansea, Ive had restaurant service first class right back to the days of BR Pullman services, like the Lancashire Pullman, Scottish Pullman, Golden Hind Pullman, Birmingham Pullman etc, done quite a few Premier Dining tours and even a 4 day land cruise to Fort William and Mallaig with 37’s throughout, best food has to be the Premier Dining, eat lots all day.

D365

Veteran Member
Nice to see in these days of bad grammar and text talk.

I hope this isn't something you associate with a particular demographic; myself and my peers, for one, we try to uphold good standards of language!

Lrd

Established Member
Virgin good. Everyone else bad!

End thread.

:lol:

DanNCL

Established Member
Two great reviews there, very informative!

Is the food still served north of Carlisle on the way up to Glasgow, or had they stopped serving by that point? If they still serve the food north of Carlisle then I think I might gave VTWC first a go at some point

When can we expect the XC review from you?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Two great reviews there, very informative!

Is the food still served north of Carlisle on the way up to Glasgow, or had they stopped serving by that point? If they still serve the food north of Carlisle then I think I might gave VTWC first a go at some point

When can we expect the XC review from you?
Thank you :)
Well on the way up between Carlisle and Glasgow I only got pretzels but that’s because the staff knew I’d just been served a main thing before Carlisle. On the way down the full Afternoon menu service was distributed between Motherwell and Carlisle. Two drinks, wrap, crisps, cake. I can’t recommend VT First highly enough. Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have I will gladly answer them :)

I apologise for the delay to my XC review. I intend to have this posted shortly.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
CrossCountry First Class - Weekday Service

Travelled
: December to January 2018.

Where: Winchester to Brockenhurst

Stock: Class 220 Voyager

First of all I’d like to thank everyone for the positive comments I received from my Virgin reviews. They were very kind and touching :)

I would also like to apologise. I did promise this review much earlier but unfortunately being a student things are hectic as usual! It is here now though, so thank you for checking out this page and I hope you enjoy the review.

So today’s review is indeed one of Arriva CrossCountry. Not a popular train company generally but to me a local one. The first class service isn’t exactly renowned for being great but it is better than SWR. :)

So over the holidays I did travel with XC in first class a few times and here are my thoughts on their weekday first. Enjoy :)

Trip One:

First class from Winchester to Southampton Central is £5 for me. So I was definitely going for it. I mean - I didn’t have very much else to do. My parents were going to IKEA. My older brother did not want me in the house because he wanted to invite his gf over. My twin brother was confined to reluctantly stacking shelves at Oxfam for most of the week as part of the charity shop volunteering he needs to do for his Duke of Edinburgh Award. I’m not doing D of E, I’ve met him (and his fairly famous wife) in person actually and considering I don’t like long walks or sleeping in tents I’m willing to just be happy with that.

Therefore, my parents dropped me off at Winchester station on their way to IKEA and I bought myself a £5 first class ticket. It took me a while to drag myself away from the tiniest M&S I have ever seen in my life onto the southbound platform.

Before too long the four car Voyager on its way to Bournemouth from Nottingham rumbled in. I entered at the first class door and sat down in the comfortable, reclining purple seat that I know do well but sadly from weekend trips only...

If you have not travelled on a XC Class 220 or 221 Voyager before, then here is the first class layout.

32746430-5D27-4782-927E-9F0B14D14678.jpeg

It is slightly cramped but the large windows more than make up for it. :) Nice views. The seats are the same as on Virgin Pendolinos (albeit 390s have a better recline) but not as Virgin Voyagers. Since their first class refresh they have a different style seat altogether now.

A young man checked my ticket and asked me if I would like a drink. I asked for a Coke. He also asked if I wished to choose a breakfast item from a complimentary menu. I asked if I could please have the Breakfast Muffin. He obliged and I sat down, reclined and settled down for a short but pleasant journey. I chose a one facing one table - it felt a little empty without Ryan opposite me - but I made use of the extra legroom that comes with not having anyone sitting opposite you!

My late breakfast came within five minutes. Here it is:

0D0CF04E-6CE6-4FC3-8283-06ED1E583B28.jpeg

The muffin was piping hot, and served on a little wooden tray with sauce. I was served two cans of Coca-Cola - I understand this is standard procedure as the cans are rather small.

The muffin had streaky bacon, egg and sausage in and was delicious. Bacon not fatty! I ate it with HP Sauce which was a nice combination. Before too long we arrived into Southampton Central. I thanked the host for the service and embarked the train, happy and pleased with my pleasant twenty minute journey.

Unfortunately I had a mishap and left my ticket in IKEA... so I ended up back in Standard on the way home.

Trip Two:

I had enjoyed my little trip with CrossCountry and wanted to travel with them again, so a couple of days later I decided to pop down to the New Forest with them. My nearest XC station is Guildford but that isn’t served very often, so I persuaded my train-disliking dad to drive me to Winchester, he did and eventually decided to come too because he likes the New Forest.

Another four car Voyager came in and I boarded! What culinary delights would tempt my palette today? Well as it happened I decided to go for the main meal. Today it was “Hummous and Falafel Wrap” served with Kettle Chips. Hummous and Falafel sounds an absolutely jank combination but it was lovely!

C4394BE8-79B9-4783-871A-262F767C30F9.jpeg

I won’t lie, I took one look and thought. Very nicely presented. Two Cokes each again. But the wrap looks chiz... (I’m not a fan of vegan foods...) Yet when I ate it I found it was absolutely brilliant! It was filled with chickpeas, samosas, leafy lettuce and cucumber. I loved it surprisingly.

We enjoyed a mini 158 first class trip to Lymington, spent a bit of time there then returned to Brockenhurst for our return journey.

On board this Voyager bound for Manchester Piccadilly I enjoyed a very nice cream tea. A piping hot takeaway cup of English tea with loads of milk and two sugars. Served with a fat fruit scone, pot of butter, pot of Rodda’s clotted cream and a mini jar of strawberry jam. I dislike most dairy so I left the cream and butter, but enjoyed my tea and strawberry jam laden scones as the New Forest flew past my window.

9F1E3227-C0FC-43D1-BB1B-BBD4444CC104.jpeg

Overall impression:

Brilliant! First class on a weekday is so much better than on a weekend as usual. The cream tea is what goes down well with me - but my top tips for travel are!

If travelling between Reading and Southampton - you will only be offered food on Manchester to Bournemouth trains, not Newcastle to Southampton trains as the first class host leaves at Reading on the latter!

Also, when travelling on a weekday, drinks, crisps and fruit cake will be offered to you, but they rarely mention the hot muffins, wraps, soup or cream teas. You have to ask for those usually - but if you do they will oblige!

I hope you enjoyed my report. Next time, we take a diverted Voyager on an 75 minute journey from Basingstoke to Southampton in first class - but what differences will there be what with the day being a weekend? Find out soon. :)

Bromley boy

Established Member
A very well written review, many thanks for posting. Uploading pictures of food is an excellent idea as they really are worth 1000 words.

My parents were going to IKEA.

Anything is better than a trip to IKEA!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A very well written review, many thanks for posting. Uploading pictures of food is an excellent idea as they really are worth 1000 words.

Anything is better than a trip to IKEA!
Thank you very much! :) Although I must confess I never really mind going to IKEA in Southampton. It’s the newer (and sadly closer to me) Reading store that I don’t like.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
CrossCountry First Class - Weekend Service

Travelled
: December to January 2018.

Where: Basingstoke to Southampton Central via Andover

Stock: Class 221 Super Voyager

Good evening guys - today I’ll be showing you the difference between weekday and weekend service on CrossCountry. Is it that worth it to pay more money on a weekday, or should you be savvy and just plump for a cheap weekend upgrade? That is the question. Well, diverts over the Christmas Holidays meant that CrossCountry were diverting Manchester to Bournemouth trains via Andover and Romsey. The usual journey duration time is approximately twenty five months usually, but the diverts increased this to an hour. I decided to go for it, Voyager on the West of England Line would surely be too rare to miss? So I bribed my older brother to drive me and my twin brother Ryan to Farnborough.

However before heading to Farnborough (Main) Ryan and I had a kerfuffle because he thought that we were getting Cherwell Day Rangers - I was originally planning to do just that, but I decided to move that to another day so I could go on my Voyager. That’s when I realized I forgot to tell him my change of plans... oops haha.

Ryan told me he was no way spending £12 on a Voyager and said he would just get a ticket to Basingstoke and hit the gym by the Festival Place. He put his tracksuit in his backpack. He wouldn’t talk to me on the 444 we took there haha :lol: We went over to Platform One, where Ryan shot a picture of his 444 combo before going into the town and I waited for my Voyager.

In came the train and I boarded. The awesome train manager lady asked me what I wanted. Unless I’m travelling with Virgin East Coast, where they seem to quite literally stuff food down my throat, I’m a poor eater - so after quickly browsing the menu I ordered a Coke. She was shocked that I didn’t want a hot drink, so I said “OK then, I’ll take a English tea instead please!” and she winked at me and after popping to the galley she dropped a regular Coca-Cola, a Diet Coke and a hot English tea on my table. She asked if I wanted any snacks. I said I was fine with anything.

She came back and gave me two slices of fruit cake and a packet of oaty biscuits which have sadly replaced the shortbread that they used to offer. I wasn’t sure how I was going to eat all of that, but as I’d skipped breakfast and it was now midday I ended up managing! I DELETED MY PHOTOS FROM TODAY ACCIDENTALLY SORRY GUYS!

We did experience slow running at Romsey, here the lovely Train Manager came along and took second orders. I asked if I could possibly have a Lemonade. She brought two and a bag of Salt and Vinegar Kettle Chips. As I said in my Virgin report - me being naturally slim always has it’s perks as the TMs always give you extra food ;) Although sometimes if you sit near a nasty woman who looks like Charity Dingle you might want to be careful not to take too much of the staff’s time or she may come out with a load of jank verbal diarrhoea - but that’s for another time, call it a taster of my GWR Class 180 report coming up!

I alighted from the train at Southampton and asked the dispatch what platform the next northbound XC service would depart from as they were all mixed up due to the diverts. He told me (it was weirdly the southbound Weymouth platform) and went away. Then a strange guy with a freaky goofy yellow grin lumbered over to me! He said “Hey you, with the sexy voice! o_O Want to earn a fiver?” Shudder. What a creep...

I panicked inwardly, excused myself and ran to my platform, where I remained stationary beside a dispatch until the returning Voyager pulled in.

I sat down and orders were taken. I enjoyed a piping hot Double Double which came in a neat little Starbucks branded cup. The First Class host asked if I wanted snacks. I said “sure” uncertainly because I was full but decided I’d see what was offered this time.

Kettle Chips, two packets of biscuits, fruit cake. I couldn’t eat it :'( “I can’t eat that!” I protested, but he suggested putting it in my bag for later.

The journey was once again enjoyable and I enjoyed seeing the faces of people waiting at Andover!

Overall - my XC Weekend experience was just the same as it always is - cake, crisps, biscuits, drinks. Good day though, it didn’t end there actually, I also bashed a GWR Turbo afterwards but until the next review keep it hanging!

Lates. :p

Next review: Great Western Railway HST First Class

DanNCL

Established Member
Sounds like you had a good day then! Another great read :)

The usual journey duration time is approximately twenty five months
Twenty five months?! That would be an awfully long amount of time to spend on the same train! I assume you mean twenty five minutes?

I DELETED MY PHOTOS FROM TODAY ACCIDENTALLY SORRY GUYS!
If you use a phone camera have you checked in the "recently deleted" folder? I've often found photos that I'd deleted a few days beforehand in there on my phone, so it's certainly worth checking

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sounds like you had a good day then! Another great read :)
That’s cool of you to say thanks. :)
Twenty five months?! That would be an awfully long amount of time to spend on the same train! I assume you mean twenty five minutes?
Oops... :lol:
If you use a phone camera have you checked in the "recently deleted" folder? I've often found photos that I'd deleted a few days beforehand in there on my phone, so it's certainly worth checking
Thanks man but I deleted all photos and recently deleted ones too because my storage is almost gone. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.