• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well until the 444s are changed to be 2+2 seating in First Class, so probably not worth upgrading.

Cue the surfeit of complaints about that, yet the prices will go up not down. Maybe they are trying to abolish it by stealth on the basis that fewer people will use it if it's of a poorer quality.

They should've just left the First Class compartments in the 442s, now that's a way to travel! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah. Well I caught the refurbished 450 yesterday. Very nice in first. Much nicer than the artist preview. Here is a photo I took.

View attachment 44027

I do agree it looks nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay for slightly nicer 2+2, that being said some Continental multiple units have very comfy 2+2 First. I suppose it depends on my mood whether I splash out or not.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I do agree it looks nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay for slightly nicer 2+2, that being said some Continental multiple units have very comfy 2+2 First. I suppose it depends on my mood whether I splash out or not.
I reckon 450 first class will be more well used than that of 444s as 450s have 3x2 standard seating.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cue the surfeit of complaints about that, yet the prices will go up not down. Maybe they are trying to abolish it by stealth on the basis that fewer people will use it if it's of a poorer quality.

They should've just left the First Class compartments in the 442s, now that's a way to travel! :D

Although wasn't the First Class on 442s at one time also in a 2+2 layout?

You will probably still get the folk of Winchester/Southampton/Towards Bournemouth paying for a 1st class season ticket but at weekends it will probably be empty, not much point in doing weekend first if all you get extra is curtains* (assuming they are keeping the curtains) as I believe (bear in mind this could have changed) that plug sockets are getting fitted throughout standard class.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thank you :)

Err. Should be Hull Trains first if I can manage it :) Hoping next week perhaps.

On WednesdayTipsnTruth I shall be taking an insight into GTR and it’s value for money.

Hull trains? You like a challenge. Don’t see them in kings cross often at the moment. Saw on last week for the first time in ages so best of luck n

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Although wasn't the First Class on 442s at one time also in a 2+2 layout?

As built the 442s had 6 compartments of six seats as First Class, very shortly after introduction it was decided that this was insufficient and the 14 seats behind the Driver's cab in the DTCsoL (Driving Trailer Composite semi-open Lavatory) were upgraded to First but remained 2+2 but with different moquette and antimacassars with the vehicles being re-designated DTFsoL (Driving Trailer First semi-Open Lavatory).

The sets remained like this (bar alteratons to the buffet card) until re-configured for Gatext with 2+1 First in the former buffet car.

xotGD

Established Member
As built the 442s had 6 compartments of six seats as First Class, very shortly after introduction it was decided that this was insufficient and the 14 seats behind the Driver's cab in the DTCsoL (Driving Trailer Composite semi-open Lavatory) were upgraded to First but remained 2+2 but with different moquette and antimacassars with the vehicles being re-designated DTFsoL (Driving Trailer First semi-Open Lavatory).

The sets remained like this (bar alteratons to the buffet card) until re-configured for Gatext with 2+1 First in the former buffet car.
'Semi-Open Lavatory' Dreadful!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
'Semi-Open Lavatory' Dreadful!

LOL, that's not what it meant! :lol:

It's possible you know the "correct" meaning of the term, but just to be clear semi-open refers to the seating layout in this case part compartment, part open - not the state of the facilities, thank you! ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
LOL, that's not what it meant! :lol:

It's possible you know the "correct" meaning of the term, but just to be clear semi-open refers to the seating layout in this case part compartment, part open - not the state of the facilities, thank you! ;)
Gosh I should hope not!

Last edited by a moderator:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A lot nicer than the SWT colour scheme.
I hate the horrible bright lights and the horrible red seats.

I preferred the exterior SWT colour scheme to the SWR one, can't really comment on the interior but the 159s looked pretty decent I'm photos.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
BOOKINGS CONFIRMED:

Thank you for your patience while I book further journeys to critique :)

So, here is what you can expect from me now, as well as the scheduled date for when the reports should be released. :)

I release them approximately four or five days after travelling to maximise quality.

Frecciarossa Executive Class
Milan-Verona 9TH APRIL

ÖBB Eurocity First Class
Verona - Innsbruck 16TH APRIL

ÖBB RailJet First Class
Innsbruck - Salzburg &
Salzburg - Vienna 20TH APRIL

WednesdayTipsNTruth: Is Business Class on ÖBB RailJet worth the extra over First? 25TH APRIL

Czech RegioJet Business Class
Vienna - Prague 4TH MAY

DB Eurocity First Class
Prague - Berlin 11TH MAY

DB ICE First Class 18TH MAY
Not yet confirmed

Hull Trains Weekend First

London - Stevenage 25TH MAY

Greater Anglia IC90 First
London Liv. St. - Anglia 1ST JUNE

VTEC 1ST Weekday Evening Meal
London KX to Newcastle JULY

VTEC 1ST Weekday Breakfast
Newcastle to Aberdeen JULY

VTEC 1ST Weekday Rest of Day
Aberdeen to London KX JULY

I hope that you enjoy the trip reports when they come out :)

Lates. 8-)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
BOOKINGS CONFIRMED:

So, here is what you can expect from me now, as well as the scheduled date for when the reports should be released. :)

I release them approximately four or five days after travelling to maximise quality.

Milan-Verona 9TH APRIL

ÖBB Eurocity First Class

ÖBB RailJet First Class
Innsbruck - Salzburg &

WednesdayTipsNTruth: Is Business Class on ÖBB RailJet worth the extra over First? 25TH APRIL

Vienna - Prague 4TH MAY

DB Eurocity First Class
Prague - Berlin 11TH MAY

Not yet confirmed

Lates. 8-)

A very varied and interesting list there, look forward to your reports! :D

fowler9

Established Member
BOOKINGS CONFIRMED:

Milan-Verona 9TH APRIL

ÖBB Eurocity First Class

ÖBB RailJet First Class
Innsbruck - Salzburg &

Vienna - Prague 4TH MAY

DB Eurocity First Class
Prague - Berlin 11TH MAY

Not yet confirmed

Lates. 8-)
Looks like good fun. Hope you enjoy Prague, one of my favourite cities.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You're welcome :lol:

That would be an interesting critique, I've long wanted to try the Business Zone, sadly it's too late for complimentary catering on that now. :frown:
Phoned up the other day, complimentary smoothies are apparently offered which is slightly unusual but hey ho!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'll be looking at your verdict on Railjet 1st with interest as I can see myself getting a few journeys on that fitted in.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'll be looking at your verdict on Railjet 1st with interest as I can see myself getting a few journeys on that fitted in.
Ah, I see. Might be able to slip you a few tips before the review is scheduled to come out at the end of the month so you don’t have to wait :) Watch your inbox eh?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I'd quite like to try RailJet in Austria someday, a nice scenic route over the Austrian alps perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.