• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Cross Country First Class - Class 170 “Turbostar”

When? Today. (February 2018)

Where?
Audley End to Ely

Stock?
Class 170 “Turbostar”

Hi people. So today I tried CrossCountry First Class on their Turbostars. My hopes weren’t high... but I was looking forward to trying something new.

My Turbostar pulled in to Audley End where I had travelled to from London on a rather horrible 317 and I boarded. I was pleasantly surprised - I was welcomed by the catering man to a pleasant compartment with comfortable, reclining seats in a 1X2 seating layout. It was separated from the rest of the train with bi-parting doors:

C94BE834-E715-4370-B2FB-997DC65E1A51.jpeg 559AD22A-250B-4D5A-A822-7928B6744771.jpeg

It looked very nice and I had it to myself which was good. I like the posh little table lamp.

AD0EC1D4-06BC-4256-9D3D-96394A46647A.jpeg

Of course, the expected first class amenities are given.
80607CC7-48ED-4663-B362-0A3E8AE41308.jpeg263B8BED-87F4-4126-9480-830F3B2E7C17.jpeg

You have to ask the train manager for a Wi-Fi code which grants you upto four hours worth of free Wi-Fi. There is also a plug socket for free use.

The first class host came and checked my ticket. He asked me politely if I wanted a drink - he offered me tea, coffee, hot chocolate or water. I went for hot chocolate, this was served with biscuits. It was very nice to sit there reclined in a private compartment and drink a hot drink while travelling there.

E466486B-DDC7-4E81-AC0A-73CC7774F12A.jpeg

The ride quality of the Turbostar is actually pretty good, far better than that of a Voyager, Turbo or Sprinter. It was a nice smooth ride and the first class host was very friendly and kept chatting to me.

So overall although it was only a short little forty minute journey to Ely it was very pleasant and enjoyable. Especially as while standard class had no seats left, having the whole first class compartment to myself made me feel ultra relaxed and satisfied me that this ticket was money well spent! :)

My opinions:

First class on the XC Turbostars, the seats are brilliant for such a small train, reclining brilliantly, spacious, lots of legroom. Nice touches like the lamp and coat pegs. The hot drink and biscuit is just right for XC Turbostar journeys, a little something for a medium-length journey. The only problem is that while first class was pretty empty for my journey, when I alighted at Ely people crowded in. Perhaps the trains could do with a few more seats...

It was a lovely journey and I enjoyed it.

Next to come:
- Stansted Airport First Class

- Virgin Trains EC First Class, Weekday Under 70 Mins Menu

- Local First Class in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire

I hope you enjoyed reading and will hopefully join me for the next review. Until next time...

Recline,
Switch on the mini table lamp
and dwell in your own personal little compartment :)

Ciao,
TT-ONR-NRN :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Btw I’m afraid I had to cancel the Breakfast service review. I’m sorry. I did say it wasn’t for definite.

backontrack

Established Member
Another fantastic report from the man with a double-double coffee in his hand! I suggest a trip on the Greater Anglia Mk3 first class.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Another fantastic report from the man with a double-double coffee in his hand! I suggest a trip on the Greater Anglia Mk3 first class.
At the moment I’m the man with a Cherry Diet Pepsi in my hand, but thanks man I’m glad you thought it was good :)

Irritatingly enough were it not for my sister I would have had time to fit GA Mk3 first class in too!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The XC 170 First Class offering sounds very much like the First Class offering on ScotRail's Turbostars.

Fred43123

First Class on Greater Anglia rural services you don't get any complimentary refreshments as there is no trolley onboard. On the 17020x fleet (201-208) you have 7 massive seats in a small compartment and on the 17027x fleet (270-273) they are the same seats as Cross Country 170's pretty much.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
First Class on Greater Anglia rural services you don't get any complimentary refreshments as there is no trolley onboard. On the 17020x fleet (201-208) you have 7 massive seats in a small compartment and on the 17027x fleet (270-273) they are the same seats as Cross Country 170's pretty much.
I know I’ve seen :) I had the choice of returning to Cambridge with GA or XC 170. I waited for the XC one.

cactustwirly

Established Member

You don't get any freebies on the Leicester - New Street services since there's no trolley (but you do in the Stansted - Birmingham via Leicester services)

hexagon789

Veteran Member

And soon enough you won't get First Class on board either. How things have changed since Anglia had 30 First Class seats and a buffet counter in their 3-car 170s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Stansted Express First Class
All pictures on board the 379 are my own.

When? Last Week. (February 2018)

Where?
London to Harlow Town

Stock?
Class 379 “Electrostar”

Alright? Hope you’re all doing well. I’m hoping to give any curious Stansted-goers an insight to Greater Anglia’s little gem known as the Stansted Express today. I especially hope you read this if you have been put off of Airport Express trains by my GatEx review!

So I hope you enjoy, now let us set the scene shall we? It was a mild Winter’s morning, not too cold, and I was at the busy London Liverpool Street station, raring to start my journey. This is the central London terminus of the Stansted Express. Prior to boarding I headed to the first class lounge.

2B7285D6-DAC3-41FB-8127-14F1E901C9BC.jpeg

Yeah. It’s weeny :lol: almost (not quite) as small as the cruddy Gatwick Express first class lounge but far more practical. There was a bowl of fresh fruit and a hot drinks machine with real china cups. It’s not Virgin class, but it will happily do for the StanEx. At least unlike the one at Gatwick Airport it doesn’t look like a doctors waiting room…

I didn’t have time to make a coffee and drink it so I snapped a quick photo and bid it farewell, (Not actually obviously, what weirdo talks to lounges :lol:) making my way to the pair of beautiful Class 379s waiting for me.

I love 379s. They are the best Electrostar by far. I went to the front unit and boarded the first class carriage. After depressing myself on the Gatwick Express last week, this was lovely!

The seats were proper Intercity ones in a 2x1 layout. They reclined well, they were spacious.
They are the same seats used on SWR 158/159s and in Business Zone on Chiltern Silver sets. You may recognise them for being the seat type used in the former FGW HST first class and in GatEX 442s.

589A7AD9-CC95-43E2-8546-EBAD1FCC91F8.jpeg 22E7CAAB-7ABF-40F5-A5A3-1BCF77BAF6B7.jpeg
These pictures are a little large so I’ve included them as thumbnails :) They are my own.

The picture on the left was where I sat. On the right were the tables of four.

There were plug sockets, free Wi-Fi and nice overhead reading lights.

8B03D06C-F599-4E80-A124-92FAD8D8E8FA.jpeg AAD713DB-DD33-4C14-A900-8DF0B4FA5331.jpeg

Oh yeah, and some reservation screens too. They weren’t in use though.

A13019AC-33A2-4957-A361-FACB6CE09CDF.jpeg

There are plenty of wide luggage racks for suitcases. The legroom and recline are both generous and window curtains are provided.

No one else joined the two thirds of the carriage which made up the first class of the front 379, although the rear unit’s first class was pretty busy. I settled down for a relaxing journey, reclining my seat and watching the lovely 90+Mk3 sets and wonderful sounding 317s go past, scowling at the hateful 315s. I don’t care about 321s. They’re just boring.

The journey is very smooth as with most Electrostars and glided gracefully into Tottenham Hale, all over scaffolding, where people poured in but surprisingly enough not to the front First Class carriage. I remained in there on my own, although some dude with two young kids came in and asked me if he was allowed to sit there.

I politely said anyone with a first class ticket could sit there! He said he had normal tickets but he worked near the airport, would they let him sit there because of that? :lol: I said it wasn’t my place to tell him where he could and could not sit but I highly doubted that he would be allowed to sit there without a first class ticket. He said “Ok thanks,” and went away. I tried not to laugh. As if Greater Anglia care where he works? :lol:

The tannoy began playing announcements in French, Spanish and Portuguese. I am fluent in the former and it was going on about liquids must be placed into a clear plastic bag not exceeding 100ml excetra excetra.

Northumberland Park was sped through, my eyes firmly glued to the window on the other side of my seat trying to catch a glimpse of the majestic new White Hart Lane stadium which is being built and is going to be the stadium to end all stadiums. (It’s going to put the Emirates Stadium to shame haha <D) we also went through Cheshunt at a fast pace. Soon the train came into Harlow Town. Here I bailed in order to take a 317 to Audley End where I would get myself an XC Turbostar, my original plans were to continue to Stansted and change there but I decided to get an experience of 317 first.

THIS WAS A MISTAKE! (But more on that in “TT-ONR-NRN critiques - Local First Class in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire” !!!

Anyway, my opinions:
Totally worth it. You don’t pay that much extra for first class (I looked at adult fares too) yet you get wonderful long distance seating, a much quieter carriage, recline, loads of legroom, free cup of tea and fresh fruit at Liverpool Street and priority check in and security at Stansted Airport. I cannot stress how nice the seats are for the journey enough.

Soooo much better than the Gatwick Express. It is a much better seat than the Heathrow Express with nicer staff too, but I do like the Paddington First Class lounge...

Stansted Express is definitely worth paying for. Also, if going from London to Cambridge GET A 379!!!! 387s have ironing board seats. 365s have unpleasant seats in standard and comfortable enough but small and basic first class sections. 317s have great sounds and nice enough seats but THEY ARE FALLING APART.

379s are awesome in both classes. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading.

Next to come:

- Virgin Trains EC First Class, Weekday Under 70 Mins Menu

- Local First Class in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire

I hope you enjoyed reading and will hopefully join me for the next review. Until next time...

Recline,
Double double your free coffee from the weeny first class lounge,
and chill :)

Lates,
TT-ONR-NRN :p8-)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
"I especially hope you read this if you have been put off of Airport Express trains by my GatEx review"

Not so much put off as deploring the absolute pitifulness of GatEx's First Class offering.

"It’s weeny :lol: almost (not quite) as small as the cruddy Gatwick Express first class lounge but far more practical."

I've seen worse, it doesn't look too bad. There was one I once saw that literally looked like a converted broom cupboard!

"I love 379s. They are the best Electrostar by far."

Really? I'd never have guessed (!) In all seriousness though - GA's 379s do look quite comfortable inside, I've yet to ride on one though, but I would certainly care to try them out.

"the lovely 90+Mk3 sets and wonderful sounding 317s go past, scowling at the hateful 315s. I don’t care about 321s. They’re just boring."

I agree - Mk3s are 'lovely'. Never travelled on a 317, the 315s seem to just be a 4-car version of the 314s we have up here in Glasgow and I've always had a soft spot for them - but each to his own. I agree that Dusty Bins are boring, certainly while I like travelling on the 320s and ex-321 conversions, they are quite pleasant in my opinion, they do not constitute a especially interesting form of traction - not unique enough for me!

"He said “Ok thanks,” and went away. I tried not to laugh. As if Greater Anglia care where he works? :lol:"

Could be worse, he could've said "bloody American" under his breath!

"Anyway, my opinions:
Totally worth it. You don’t pay that much extra for first class (I looked at adult fares too) yet you get wonderful long distance seating, a much quieter carriage, recline, loads of legroom, free cup of tea and fresh fruit at Liverpool Street and priority check in and security at Stansted Airport. I cannot stress how nice the seats are for the journey enough."

Glad you enjoyed it, I would certainly care to give it a go some day. Would you mind me asking roughly how much it was?

"Stansted Express is definitely worth paying for. Also, if going from London to Cambridge GET A 379!!!! 387s have ironing board seats. 365s have unpleasant seats in standard and comfortable enough but small and basic first class sections. 317s have great sounds and nice enough seats but THEY ARE FALLING APART."

Duly noted - Get a 379. There does seem to be a trend towards declining maintenance on soon to be withdrawn stock, it happened with the 47/7s, it happened with the First Generation DMUs, it's happening with navy classes of EMU just now, I'm sure it'll happen in the future, it's just one of those things. I suppose the operator's point of view is - it'll be gone soon, what's the point in spending money needlessly? C'est la vie, non?

"379s are awesome in both classes. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading."

I did indeed, keep them coming, your reports are always an enjoyable read.

"Recline,
and chill :)"

Better make mine a triple-triple!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
"I especially hope you read this if you have been put off of Airport Express trains by my GatEx review"

Not so much put off as deploring the absolute pitifulness of GatEx's First Class offering.

"It’s weeny :lol: almost (not quite) as small as the cruddy Gatwick Express first class lounge but far more practical."

I've seen worse, it doesn't look too bad. There was one I once saw that literally looked like a converted broom cupboard!

"I love 379s. They are the best Electrostar by far."

Really? I'd never have guessed (!) In all seriousness though - GA's 379s do look quite comfortable inside, I've yet to ride on one though, but I would certainly care to try them out.

"the lovely 90+Mk3 sets and wonderful sounding 317s go past, scowling at the hateful 315s. I don’t care about 321s. They’re just boring."

I agree - Mk3s are 'lovely'. Never travelled on a 317, the 315s seem to just be a 4-car version of the 314s we have up here in Glasgow and I've always had a soft spot for them - but each to his own. I agree that Dusty Bins are boring, certainly while I like travelling on the 320s and ex-321 conversions, they are quite pleasant in my opinion, they do not constitute a especially interesting form of traction - not unique enough for me!

"He said “Ok thanks,” and went away. I tried not to laugh. As if Greater Anglia care where he works? :lol:"

Could be worse, he could've said "bloody American" under his breath!

"Anyway, my opinions:
Totally worth it. You don’t pay that much extra for first class (I looked at adult fares too) yet you get wonderful long distance seating, a much quieter carriage, recline, loads of legroom, free cup of tea and fresh fruit at Liverpool Street and priority check in and security at Stansted Airport. I cannot stress how nice the seats are for the journey enough."

Glad you enjoyed it, I would certainly care to give it a go some day. Would you mind me asking roughly how much it was?

"Stansted Express is definitely worth paying for. Also, if going from London to Cambridge GET A 379!!!! 387s have ironing board seats. 365s have unpleasant seats in standard and comfortable enough but small and basic first class sections. 317s have great sounds and nice enough seats but THEY ARE FALLING APART."

Duly noted - Get a 379. There does seem to be a trend towards declining maintenance on soon to be withdrawn stock, it happened with the 47/7s, it happened with the First Generation DMUs, it's happening with navy classes of EMU just now, I'm sure it'll happen in the future, it's just one of those things. I suppose the operator's point of view is - it'll be gone soon, what's the point in spending money needlessly? C'est la vie, non?

"379s are awesome in both classes. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading."

I did indeed, keep them coming, your reports are always an enjoyable read.

"Recline,
and chill :)"

Better make mine a triple-triple!
Thanks! :)

Triple triples are not a thing although I’m guessing that was the joke. I am NOT an American in any way shape or form. Not related to any Americans, never been to America etc. It was £24 for me to do London - Stansted - Ely on Stansted Express and CrossCountry returning Ely - Stevenage - London with Great Northern and VTEC. I am on child fares though. :)

fowler9

Established Member
Interesting read. Not likely to use the Stansted Express given the part of the world I live in but never say never.

SEClass375

Love these, I know its not like you are ever going to do it but I wish someone did it for standard class. Also saves me the money of wondering how nice 1st is. I'm interested to see your review of 1st class on a class 465!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Love these, I know its not like you are ever going to do it but I wish someone did it for standard class. Also saves me the money of wondering how nice 1st is. I'm interested to see your review of 1st class on a class 465!

Stansted Express, fast north of Tottenham Hale, bit of a crawl south of the Hale.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks. Quite a few other reviews in front of it in the queue ;) Networker first will get here eventually though.

Stansted Express, fast north of Tottenham Hale, bit of a crawl south of the Hale.
Indeed :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Triple triples are not a thing although I’m guessing that was the joke.

Indeed.

I am NOT an American in any way shape or form. Not related to any Americans, never been to America etc.

I have been to America three times, I still can get over the way they speak English! I'm one of those people who absolutely detests words being pronounced certain ways - we all have our wee hates, eh?

It was £24 for me to do London - Stansted - Ely on Stansted Express and CrossCountry returning Ely - Stevenage - London with Great Northern and VTEC. I am on child fares though. :)

Seems a pretty good deal I would say, sadly I don't think I can pass as qualifying for child fares these days!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Indeed.

I have been to America three times, I still can get over the way they speak English! I'm one of those people who absolutely detests words being pronounced certain ways - we all have our wee hates, eh?

Seems a pretty good deal I would say, sadly I don't think I can pass as qualifying for child fares these days!
Yes. I dislike “bonny” “wee” and “bairn” but American English is awful for sure. They can’t spell “colour” or “favour” or that sort of thing. They call chocolate “candy” they call runners “sneakers”. Ugh. It irritates me.

-

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:
Aberdeen to London King’s Cross - ECML Weekday First Class - booked for late June. Not sure how I’m gonna get up there yet though.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
First Class Plans for June:

London to Newcastle
(Evening meal service)

Newcastle to Aberdeen
(Breakfast service)

Aberdeen to London BOOKED
(Rest of the Day service)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin Trains East Coast First Class - Weekday Under 70 Mins’ service
All pictures taken on board the train are my own.

When? Last Week. (February 2018)

Where?
London to Stevenage

Stock? 1x
Class 91 “Mallard IC 225”
Class 43 HST 1C 125

How’s she bootiner? That is supposed to be a Canadian greeting, although I’ve never heard anyone use it in my life. I certainly haven’t used it.

Anyway. Hi. We’re going back a week here, so cast your minds back to last Friday. It is a relatively mild day in Britain, and we shall set the scene at Stevenage just before midday where I am waiting after having alighted a Great Northern Trains service from Cambridge. A station I can’t say I particularly love, but hey ho.

I have a return ticket from Ely to London King’s Cross in my wallet, valid in first (I travelled up via the West Anglia Main Line at about ten am) and as I am walking to the London end of the platform where first class usually is, in comes my train.

Yes people, it’s a beautiful Intercity 225. Love ‘em, best loco hauled train in UK IMO. So the doors blare their painfully loud shriek and on board I get...

The train is pretty empty so I pick a table of four and sit down. I ask the passing train manager if I could get a quick drink. He goes to get me a ginger ale, but before he asks me if I want a snack. I go for the Gourmet Sausage Roll to keep myself going for the twenty minute stretch to London King’s Cross. He brings along the sausage roll (which is hot by the way) in a paper bag, and the ginger ale comes with a proper non-plastic glass.

6CE4CE5C-19F9-42E0-B0BF-33E5567A6E67.jpeg FF8EAE08-A090-411F-8D7A-8BF741CE1976.jpeg

The sausage roll was very nice, the pastry was incredibly flaky and it had an interesting fruity tasting sauce. It certainly warmed me up! :)

That was a twenty minute journey. I enjoyed it so much as usual that five or six hours later I decided another trip was in order.

A few flashes of the card and a first return to Stevenage entered my possession. The evening HST to Harrogate was set up for an evening meal service. I perched in a private backwards seat by the FoodBar. I don’t like the HST FoodBars very much, the 225s have much nicer and modern ones.

Here is the menu if you’re interested. When VTEC stick to their menu it is very good.

B826FDAC-B6FF-41A3-A12A-77436051B8F2.jpeg

I was rather jealous of the passengers travelling to Grantham and beyond enjoying Duck Confit! Today’s dessert was New York Cheesecake.

I got chatting to a man sitting on his laptop next to me. Seems I’m not the only fan of VTEC, he was heading to a destination of EMT, yet he preferred to change at Grantham to go with the red Vee.

The trolley came round taking orders for hot meals and serving out cold ones. The customer service assistant was very friendly and asked if I wanted a sandwich. I asked for a chicken and pepper wrap, it was almost 6pm and I was pretty hungry having not had anything since the sausage roll and five past twelve. He served me one with Corkers Crisps. I asked if they had any banoffee cake, he apologised and said he didn’t but gave me biscuits instead.

To drink I had double ginger ale. I do like Britvic Ginger Ale!

DF0078A4-0CD1-4EFB-9F75-480D3A290535.jpeg

I enjoyed my mini dinner and looked out of the window, frowning at the hideously ugly Emirates Stadium and looking with interest at the depot full of 700s. Halfway through the twenty five minute journey the FC Host came back and said “I found some banoffee cake after all!” and placed two slices on my table. I enjoyed one and put the other in my bag, very full.

236E4914-2B6C-4464-9BD5-F687E49FE052.jpeg

I missed the next VTEC train sadly and waited at King’s Cross for about forty five minutes, before another HST squeaked in. Shame, I’d prefer a 225 anyday :(

21A4CAF2-3F3F-4255-AAF5-45B949482D24.jpeg The lady came by with her trolley and asked if I wanted anything. I was definitely full by now obviously but I did ask politely for a ginger ale. (Ah, don’t judge me, travelling gets me thirsty!) Two came. She asked me if I wanted a sandwich as she had too many left and I accepted, planning to give it to my dad (who had gone into work while I travelled) for the journey home. It came in a bag with crisps, cake and biscuits.

The train manager who checked my ticket was very polite and friendly. That was an added bonus.

So there we go. Travelling on weekday VTEC on journeys under 70 minutes is still awesome value. That’s it from VTEC and me now until at least June I think! Might try and do Hull Trains First Class at some point.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review! Any questions or comments are welcome.

Next to come:

- Local First Class in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Analysis

- Thameslink and Southern First Class Analysis & Comparison

TGV Duplex Oceane - First Class is currently still planned for April between Bordeaux St Jean and Toulouse Matabiau but not yet confirmed! :)

What are confirmed however, are the following:

VTEC (or ECML successor) 1st: Weekday Evening Meal Service

VTEC (or ECML successor) 1st: Weekday Breakfast Service

VTEC (or ECML successor) 1st: Weekday Rest of the Day Menu

London to Newcastle, Newcastle to Aberdeen and Aberdeen to London respectively :) This ECML bash will be in June - although of course the operator may not be VTEC then! :( Ah well, as long as the seats remain leather. Maybe the new company will even improve the reliability of the first class menu!)

So until next time,
Recline,
Double double your free coffee from the James Martin FoodBar, (although I didn’t have a single one that day shock horror),
and chill :)

Peace,
TT :p8-)

PS: I promise I never have five ginger ales normally! :lol: I swear!

HainultLoop

Ah the Stansted Express! My local line! The 379s are absolutely great in both classes, as you say, they are without a doubt the best electrostars! They have free unlimited WiFi in both classes as well (not as common as it should be). I've only had the pleasure of travelling in First once (got a free upgrade by the guard on an absolutely packed football day service) but it was really good - before they axed the trolley service two years ago, that was quite average, but a nice touch too. They also still give you free magazines at Stanstead Airport if you're travelling First!

It's a shame GA are getting rid of the 379s in favour of the Stadler FLIRTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.