• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNL

Established Member
I'm loving your series of reviews, TT. Keep up the good work, your writing style is very pleasant and I like the pacing of your review.

It's a shame GA are getting rid of the 379s in favour of the Stadler FLIRTS.
FLIRTs are very decent trains.

Here in the Netherlands, NS recently got themselves a bunch of FLIRT3's. Since the last timetable change, they use used on my line so I'm somewhat of a frequent user. The ride quality is excellent and they go like the proverbial of a shovel. The operator recently had to limit them as their acceleration was too good - there has been a case where a FLIRT accelerated from standstill and got to a level crossing before its barriers had closed!

A lot depends on interior fittings though, ironing board seats can still kill a very decent train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm loving your series of reviews, TT. Keep up the good work, your writing style is very pleasant and I like the pacing of your review.

Here in the Netherlands, NS recently got themselves a bunch of FLIRT3's. Since the last timetable change, they use used on my line so I'm somewhat of a frequent user. The ride quality is excellent and they go like the proverbial of a shovel. The operator recently had to limit them as their acceleration was too good - there has been a case where a FLIRT accelerated from standstill and got to a level crossing before its barriers had closed!

A lot depends on interior fittings though, ironing board seats can still kill a very decent train.
Cheers dude glad you like them :)

HainultLoop

Yes I've been on a FLIRT in Germany and I totally agree they are really quite good trains and are generally quite comfortable. When I am in Munich I often get the 'Meridian' FLIRT 3s between the two main stations just for fun and you're right the acceleration is amazing! But it's not the trains I don't like don't it's fact trains less than 10 years old are being replaced, giving them an uncertain future while they carry out the task perfectly at the moment. I see it as they're buying new trains just to impress the DfT.

AlexNL

Established Member
But it's not the trains I don't like don't it's fact trains less than 10 years old are being replaced, giving them an uncertain future while they carry out the task perfectly at the moment. I see it as they're buying new trains just to impress the DfT.

Surely GA aren't getting rid of the 379's to score brownie points with the DfT, it is more likely that it makes sense business wise. From what I've heard the 379's aren't cheap to lease. At the same time, they aren't exactly a huge fleet as they'll always run in pairs. Since GA are replacing the rest of their fleet, they might as well replace the 379's. It means one less train type to maintain, to diagram, and for which staff has to be trained and remain competent.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Lucky you got something heading south from Stevenage as sometimes they have packed up the trolley service by there

hexagon789

Veteran Member
How’s she bootiner? That is supposed to be a Canadian greeting, although I’ve never heard anyone use it in my life. I certainly haven’t used it.

I've neither heard nor read the phrase in print ever in my life. Mind you I can't imagine many people go about saying "hullawrerr Chinas" either.

A station I can’t say I particularly love, but hey ho.

Sounds like Shotts, not the prettiest in the world by any stretch of three imagination.

Yes people, it’s a beautiful Intercity 225. Love ‘em, best loco hauled train in UK IMO.

The 225s are very nice I agree, but an HST or loco-hauled Mk3s nust beat them in my opinion.

“I found some banoffee cake after all!”

Thanks heavens for that!
I missed the next VTEC train sadly and waited at King’s Cross for about forty five minutes, before another HST squeaked in. Shame, I’d prefer a 225 anyday :(

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, nothing beats an InterCity 125 in my view, though I'll admit the variability in seating layouts does mean some operators HSTs aren't quite as good as they could be.

(Ah, don’t judge me, travelling gets me thirsty!)

Prepare to be judged most harshly- just kidding.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review! Any questions or comments are welcome.

I did indeed, your reports are always highly interesting and descriptive, please keep them coming.

TGV Duplex Oceane - First Class is currently still planned for April between Bordeaux St Jean and Toulouse Matabiau but not yet confirmed! :)

Sounds good if you manage it, I assume you are aware SNCF offers no complimentary catering in Première Classe on domestic services. Secondly, not sure if it bothers you, but Bordeaux to Toulouse is neither high-speed nor fitted with signalisation pré-annoncé so max speeds are only 160 km/h (99.4 mph).

London to Newcastle, Newcastle to Aberdeen and Aberdeen to London respectively :) This ECML bash will be in June - although of course the operator may not be VTEC then! :(

Look forward to the report regardless of the operator.

Recline,
Double double your free coffee from the James Martin FoodBar, (although I didn’t have a single one that day shock horror),

Dear God man, not a single one! (Shock horror indeed! )

PS: I promise I never have five ginger ales normally! :lol: I swear!

I believe you (thousands wouldn't).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I've neither heard nor read the phrase in print ever in my life. Mind you I can't imagine many people go about saying "hullawrerr Chinas" either.

Sounds like Shotts, not the prettiest in the world by any stretch of three imagination.

The 225s are very nice I agree, but an HST or loco-hauled Mk3s nust beat them in my opinion.

Thanks heavens for that!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, nothing beats an InterCity 125 in my view, though I'll admit the variability in seating layouts does mean some operators HSTs aren't quite as good as they could be.

Prepare to be judged most harshly- just kidding.

I did indeed, your reports are always highly interesting and descriptive, please keep them coming.

Sounds good if you manage it, I assume you are aware SNCF offers no complimentary catering in Première Classe on domestic services. Secondly, not sure if it bothers you, but Bordeaux to Toulouse is neither high-speed nor fitted with signalisation pré-annoncé so max speeds are only 160 km/h (99.4 mph).

Look forward to the report regardless of the operator.

Dear God man, not a single one! (Shock horror indeed! )

I believe you (thousands wouldn't).
Um thanks :)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a good trip, the Stansted Express definately is better value for money than Gatwick Express

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Excellent reviews there TT :) I'm very impressed by your writings especially for someone so young, and please understand that's intended purely as a complement, keep up the good work!

Btw, I was unable to view the images you attached, has anyone else got the same problem?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Excellent reviews there TT :) I'm very impressed by your writings especially for someone so young, and please understand that's intended purely as a complement, keep up the good work!

Btw, I was unable to view the images you attached, has anyone else got the same problem?
Yes. Me actually! That’s a bit weird! I’ll look into it.

Thank you for the compliment. Z :)

cactustwirly

Established Member

Yeah, looks like the images were deleted.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Virgin Trains EC First Class - Weekend Long Distance

Travelled: July 2017.

Where: Darlington to Inverness via Inverkeithing

Stock: Class 43 High Speed Train

Having not really experienced Scotland before apart from a incy trip to Glasgow when I was about six, where I experienced my first ever Class 334, a trip to the Highlands was on the cards, and I decided to book a trip to Inverness with Virgin Trains East Coast on a Saturday in July last year.

I travelled up from London King’s Cross to Darlington in standard class of a Virgin Trains East Coast Intercity 225 train. They have very pleasant seats and BEAM is also available. But of course, the fun really started at Darlington, where I boarded the first class carriage of a high speed train that would take me to Scotland!

I’ve given you an insight into the generosity of Virgin East Coast during short trips but I wish to tell you what’s on offer during the longer trips! :)

I sat down in the lovely seating,
A99941A2-26A7-442F-AE8D-FD2A9CAA546A.jpeg 352844DB-522E-4063-A4AF-3BE57E4090AE.jpeg
, and was welcomed by the first class host, who instantly poured me a mug of hot chocolate. This was a breakfast service, and he served me a pain au chocolat with a blueberry yoghurt and a banana. The yoghurt was very nice and smooth, however the pain au chocolat was cold and hard - it would have been much nicer warmed. The hot chocolate needed stirring too...

Despite this however, after much clanking of the teaspoon (don’t worry, the carriage was practically empty) I enjoyed a very nice hot chocolate while storming into Newcastle. The station is certainly nice, though quite bendy if I remember correctly!

Corkers Crisps and Coca-Cola were dished out here, the train lurched out of Geordie land and hurtled towards Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a nice old large station, but it has a dastardly complicated layout I must say! My sister and my twin brother (TheAdelante) bailed here, so the former could shop and the latter could tram bash!

My dad and I stayed on (him in Standard, me in First) and after leaving Haymarket l was served a very nice Hoisin Duck Wrap, served with crisps and two cans of Coca-Cola. This made a nice lunch as we glided gracefully over the impressive Forth Bridge into Inverkeithing, where my dad and I bailed, transferring to a 158 unit which had Chapman seats. Weird.

The Forth Bridge was selfied with at North Queensferry, then following a Turbostar back to Edinburgh it was back on board Virgin Trains East Coast for the haul through the Highlands to bonny wee Inverness as they call it.

My sister and Ryan met back with us at Edinburgh at boarded the Highland Chieftain with us. My sister was delighted having busied herself by spending a fortune on bags of designer clothes, Ryan was in a bad mood having been soaked to the skin in the drenching rain in Edinburgh and finding most of the trams not running anyway… Ha ha.

I enjoyed an egg and cress sandwich as we pulled out, followed by a lovely little melt in the middle lemon muffin. TheAdelante went for the Hoisin Duck and muffin too. I had English Tea, he had a double-double. The staff were very generous and just kept topping up our drinks.

Falkirk Grahamston came and Ryan and I were handed more melt in the middle muffins, as well as a Coke for me and another coffee for TheAdelante who was still trying to warm up from being drenched in Edinburgh :lol:

Stirling came and so did another Hoisin Duck Wrap. And more tea. Don’t get me wrong - I rarely binge. In fact my appetite is pretty tiny, but travelling long distances often seems to change that slightly!

At Gleneagles a family got on with a girl who looked about six. She picked up a menu and said at the top of her voice “I’ll have chips and marshmallows and wine!”

Don’t hate me for being like a grumpy old man but my heart sank. I hate noisy children!

Her dad told her he would get her some orange juice. Heaven help me - she stood up on the seat and screamed at the top of her lungs: “I WANT WINE! GIVE ME SOME WINE RIGHT NOW!!!” followed by a large temper tantrum, which resulted in her parents trying to calm her down by playing Dora The Explorer at top whack off of a cheap looking tablet with NO HEADPHONES!!! Grr. So out came my headphones as I tried to block out the noise.

Perth came and so did another Coca-Cola. A smooth ride and some fairly decent views were enjoyed on the last little stretch to Inverness, where shortly before arrival a final muffin and a double double were enjoyed.

That was my first VTEC Weekend first experience. Five point five hours :)

Very generous with food. Even more generous with drinks. Rubbish at keeping kids quiet...

Anyway I hope you enjoy and I apologise for the lack of many pictures which is due to minor technical issues.

Until next time,
Recline,
Bring headphones if you don’t wanna be subject to Dora-Dora-Dora-the-Explorer!
And chilllll.

Rock on. TT-ONR-NRN :D
I bid you farewell.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Yes. Me actually! That’s a bit weird! I’ll look into it.

Thank you for the compliment. Z :)

That would be my fault for trying to do something the old software allowed but the new software doesn't...

Try this version instead: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tt-onr-nrn-critiques.158905/page-7#post-3348521

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Virgin Trains EC First Class - Weekend Long Distance

Travelled: July 2017.

Where: Darlington to Inverness via Inverkeithing

Stock: Class 43 High Speed Train

Having not really experienced Scotland before apart from a incy trip to Glasgow when I was about six, where I experienced my first ever Class 334, a trip to the Highlands was on the cards, and I decided to book a trip to Inverness with Virgin Trains East Coast on a Saturday in July last year.

I travelled up from London King’s Cross to Darlington in standard class of a Virgin Trains East Coast Intercity 225 train. They have very pleasant seats and BEAM is also available. But of course, the fun really started at Darlington, where I boarded the first class carriage of a high speed train that would take me to Scotland!

I’ve given you an insight into the generosity of Virgin East Coast during short trips but I wish to tell you what’s on offer during the longer trips! :)

I sat down in the lovely seating,
View attachment 43239 View attachment 43238
, and was welcomed by the first class host, who instantly poured me a mug of hot chocolate. This was a breakfast service, and he served me a pain au chocolat with a blueberry yoghurt and a banana. The yoghurt was very nice and smooth, however the pain au chocolat was cold and hard - it would have been much nicer warmed. The hot chocolate needed stirring too...

Despite this however, after much clanking of the teaspoon (don’t worry, the carriage was practically empty) I enjoyed a very nice hot chocolate while storming into Newcastle. The station is certainly nice, though quite bendy if I remember correctly!

Corkers Crisps and Coca-Cola were dished out here, the train lurched out of Geordie land and hurtled towards Edinburgh. Edinburgh is a nice old large station, but it has a dastardly complicated layout I must say! My sister and my twin brother (TheAdelante) bailed here, so the former could shop and the latter could tram bash!

My dad and I stayed on (him in Standard, me in First) and after leaving Haymarket l was served a very nice Hoisin Duck Wrap, served with crisps and two cans of Coca-Cola. This made a nice lunch as we glided gracefully over the impressive Forth Bridge into Inverkeithing, where my dad and I bailed, transferring to a 158 unit which had Chapman seats. Weird.

The Forth Bridge was selfied with at North Queensferry, then following a Turbostar back to Edinburgh it was back on board Virgin Trains East Coast for the haul through the Highlands to bonny wee Inverness as they call it.

My sister and Ryan met back with us at Edinburgh at boarded the Highland Chieftain with us. My sister was delighted having busied herself by spending a fortune on bags of designer clothes, Ryan was in a bad mood having been soaked to the skin in the drenching rain in Edinburgh and finding most of the trams not running anyway… Ha ha.

I enjoyed an egg and cress sandwich as we pulled out, followed by a lovely little melt in the middle lemon muffin. TheAdelante went for the Hoisin Duck and muffin too. I had English Tea, he had a double-double. The staff were very generous and just kept topping up our drinks.

Falkirk Grahamston came and Ryan and I were handed more melt in the middle muffins, as well as a Coke for me and another coffee for TheAdelante who was still trying to warm up from being drenched in Edinburgh :lol:

Stirling came and so did another Hoisin Duck Wrap. And more tea. Don’t get me wrong - I rarely binge. In fact my appetite is pretty tiny, but travelling long distances often seems to change that slightly!

At Gleneagles a family got on with a girl who looked about six. She picked up a menu and said at the top of her voice “I’ll have chips and marshmallows and wine!”

Don’t hate me for being like a grumpy old man but my heart sank. I hate noisy children!

Her dad told her he would get her some orange juice. Heaven help me - she stood up on the seat and screamed at the top of her lungs: “I WANT WINE! GIVE ME SOME WINE RIGHT NOW!!!” followed by a large temper tantrum, which resulted in her parents trying to calm her down by playing Dora The Explorer at top whack off of a cheap looking tablet with NO HEADPHONES!!! Grr. So out came my headphones as I tried to block out the noise.

Perth came and so did another Coca-Cola. A smooth ride and some fairly decent views were enjoyed on the last little stretch to Inverness, where shortly before arrival a final muffin and a double double were enjoyed.

That was my first VTEC Weekend first experience. Five point five hours :)

Very generous with food. Even more generous with drinks. Rubbish at keeping kids quiet...

Anyway I hope you enjoy and I apologise for the lack of many pictures which is due to minor technical issues.

Until next time,
Recline,
Bring headphones if you don’t wanna be subject to Dora-Dora-Dora-the-Explorer!
And chilllll.

Rock on. TT-ONR-NRN :D
I bid you farewell.

What did you think of the 334s? Personally I prefer them to the 380s.

When they do it properly VTEC's onboard service does seem to be pretty good, at least in First.

The platform numbering at Edinburgh makes a vague sort of sense, it was definitely more confusing before the re-numbering about 10 years ago or so, 8 and 9 used to be 20 and 21 I believe for instance.

Noisy kids get on my nerves too!

Sounds like a pretty decent trip on the whole.

Anyway, enjoyed the review, until the extra time...

robbeech

Established Member
I would be interested in your opinions of Hull Trains first class. I actually find the sandwiches far better than the VTEC ones, and the cooked meals are just as good although they don't change the menu so often. No alcohol if you are bothered about that sort of thing which i am often not but plenty of soft drinks and friendly staff. If only they had a reliable service! Cheap First Advances are rare and with first stop Grantham on them from King's Cross it can be quite pricey!
When i work in York i often get season tickets which at least allows me Retford to Selby which is enough time for a nice plate of sandwiches.

TheAdelante

Can I just clarify I was not in a bad mood thank you very much! Though who could blame me... I've felt drier in a swimming pool.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I would be interested in your opinions of Hull Trains first class. I actually find the sandwiches far better than the VTEC ones, and the cooked meals are just as good although they don't change the menu so often. No alcohol if you are bothered about that sort of thing which i am often not but plenty of soft drinks and friendly staff. If only they had a reliable service! Cheap First Advances are rare and with first stop Grantham on them from King's Cross it can be quite pricey!
When i work in York i often get season tickets which at least allows me Retford to Selby which is enough time for a nice plate of sandwiches.
I’m very pleased to hear that you’d be interested in those opinions - I plan to try Hull Trains’ Weekend Service within the next few weeks if possible :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The HORRORS of Class 317/5 First Class WednesdayTipsNTruth

Travelled: February 2018

Where: Harlow Town to Audley End

Ok. So last month I was in Harlow Town and decided to give a 317 a go in first. I always did love the Overground ones. I did wonder if going first class would be worth the money.

So my 317 turned up which was operated by a Class 317/5 unit (white with red doors). I boarded.

And was shocked. What a filthy mess it was.

A8EC1D83-2A36-48B7-9642-6A8AE3D6436A.jpeg 692FFAEE-3BB4-4A9C-B6F9-BAC6388D0A7A.jpeg

It was 2x2 seating with even shorter seats than IC25 ones! They didn’t recline... They looked grotty too. Look at this photo I took of the seat too!

211E353A-462E-478F-8FDB-2CFFECF74A06.jpeg

AND LOOK AT THE PAINT PEELING OFF OF THE WALLS!!!

ADDC0D77-FACB-43F7-A454-330FEA2E0B3E.jpeg

I was going to take a picture of Standard class but right then my phone died. Misery.

So I reluctantly sat down on a seat. It fell off!
It’s not even as if I am heavy! I am extremely light, yet the cushion completely slipped off and fell on the floor! I moved to a different seat in a disgusted manner.

There was barely any legroom. The carpet, well. There wasn’t any.

I felt like I was sat in a moving garden shed. What a waste of money. Thankfully it was only about fifteen pounds, so I didn't bother too much. Bit irked though.

Sooo. The lesson here is!
If you aren’t guaranteed a 379 - DON’T WASTE MONEY ON FIRST CLASS WHEN IT COMES TO GA WEST ANGLIA SERVICES!

That’s it. Sorry it’s a bit short, but I wanted to warn you off of disappointment!!!

Thanks for reading! TT-ONR-NRN. Until next time, this has been
WednesdayTipsNTruth

Lates!

87electric

Ah the "luxurious" 317s. Personally I have a strange affection for the beaten up looking workhorses. Stick to Virgin for your 1st Class needs.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The HORRORS of Class 317/5 First Class WednesdayTipsNTruth

Travelled: February 2018

Where: Harlow Town to Audley End

Ok. So last month I was in Harlow Town and decided to give a 317 a go in first. I always did love the Overground ones. I did wonder if going first class would be worth the money.

So my 317 turned up which was operated by a Class 317/5 unit (white with red doors). I boarded.

And was shocked. What a filthy mess it was.

View attachment 43649 View attachment 43650

It was 2x2 seating with even shorter seats than IC25 ones! They didn’t recline... They looked grotty too. Look at this photo I took of the seat too!

View attachment 43652

AND LOOK AT THE PAINT PEELING OFF OF THE WALLS!!!

View attachment 43651

I was going to take a picture of Standard class but right then my phone died. Misery.

So I reluctantly sat down on a seat. It fell off!
It’s not even as if I am heavy! I am extremely light, yet the cushion completely slipped off and fell on the floor! I moved to a different seat in a disgusted manner.

There was barely any legroom. The carpet, well. There wasn’t any.

I felt like I was sat in a moving garden shed. What a waste of money. Thankfully it was only about fifteen pounds, so I didn't bother too much. Bit irked though.

Sooo. The lesson here is!
If you aren’t guaranteed a 379 - DON’T WASTE MONEY ON FIRST CLASS WHEN IT COMES TO GA WEST ANGLIA SERVICES!

That’s it. Sorry it’s a bit short, but I wanted to warn you off of disappointment!!!

Thanks for reading! TT-ONR-NRN. Until next time, this has been
WednesdayTipsNTruth

Lates!

It's not grotty it's "shabby chic" don't you know!

I must agree, the interior looks very tired but the 317s won't be around that much longer really.

The worst First Class I've travelled in is probably the former First Class in ScotRail's 158s: 2+2, poorer legroom than in Standard, no proper partition just little signs saying ScotRail First Class. Alright you get a single power socket per table and a lamp bit I'm so glad I never paid for it. Mind you it would've been worse in as built condition, no lamps or power sockets orginally. I think the difference in 1990 was just a different moquette and curtains.

D365

Veteran Member
Your ticket doesn't stop you from using standard class ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.