• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev20

Begs the question, if you've got such an issue with his reports, why open the page?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HainultLoop

The HORRORS of Class 317/5 First Class WednesdayTipsNTruth

Travelled: February 2018

Where: Harlow Town to Audley End

Ok. So last month I was in Harlow Town and decided to give a 317 a go in first. I always did love the Overground ones. I did wonder if going first class would be worth the money.

So my 317 turned up which was operated by a Class 317/5 unit (white with red doors). I boarded.

And was shocked. What a filthy mess it was.

View attachment 43649 View attachment 43650

It was 2x2 seating with even shorter seats than IC25 ones! They didn’t recline... They looked grotty too. Look at this photo I took of the seat too!

View attachment 43652

AND LOOK AT THE PAINT PEELING OFF OF THE WALLS!!!

View attachment 43651

I was going to take a picture of Standard class but right then my phone died. Misery.

So I reluctantly sat down on a seat. It fell off!
It’s not even as if I am heavy! I am extremely light, yet the cushion completely slipped off and fell on the floor! I moved to a different seat in a disgusted manner.

There was barely any legroom. The carpet, well. There wasn’t any.

I felt like I was sat in a moving garden shed. What a waste of money. Thankfully it was only about fifteen pounds, so I didn't bother too much. Bit irked though.

Sooo. The lesson here is!
If you aren’t guaranteed a 379 - DON’T WASTE MONEY ON FIRST CLASS WHEN IT COMES TO GA WEST ANGLIA SERVICES!

That’s it. Sorry it’s a bit short, but I wanted to warn you off of disappointment!!!

Thanks for reading! TT-ONR-NRN. Until next time, this has been
WednesdayTipsNTruth

Lates!
Wow, I think you had the very unlucky displeasure of travelling on one of the only 317s which haven't been refurbished by GA and still carry the original 'Stansted Express' interior from years ago - before the 379s were built! The 317s aren't long for this world though.

Darandio

Established Member
They weren't opinions. They were pops at a young lad.

Welcome to the internet.

However, the young lad does divide opinion and boy does he know it, it's fair to say he took some pride in it when he first joined and openly stated as such. All credit to him though, he has developed a thick skin rather quickly and has integrated very well, much of his commentary is valued.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Welcome to the internet.

However, the young lad does divide opinion and boy does he know it, it's fair to say he took some pride in it when he first joined and openly stated as such. All credit to him though, he has developed a thick skin rather quickly and has integrated very well, much of his commentary is valued.

I think most of us on this forum have to develop a thick skin, such is the number of highly opinionated people on this forum.

Having an opinion and voicing it is not a bad thing, it's the manner in which some people voice those opinions that is sometimes less than pleasant.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well anyway haha I’m sorry that my reports have decreased in erm... interestingness (I know that isn’t a word sorry) because I’ve run out of things to do :oops:

But here is a reminder of what is coming up:

Between now and June the plans are to do:

- Frecciarossa Executive Class
across Italy

- Hull Trains Weekend First
between London and Grantham

- VTEC First Evening Service
between London and Newcastle
BOOKED

- VTEC First Breakfast Service
between Newcastle and Aberdeen
BOOKED

- VTEC First Rest of Day Menu
between Aberdeen and London
BOOKED

-
Greater Anglia Class 90 First
between London and Essex

and either:

-
TGV Atlantique First Class
between Milan and Lyon

or:

OBB RailJet Business Class
between Verona and Salzburg

8-)

Bromley boy

Established Member
Well anyway haha I’m sorry that my reports have decreased in erm... interestingness (I know that isn’t a word sorry) because I’ve run out of things to do :oops:

across Italy

BOOKED

BOOKED

BOOKED

-
between London and Essex

and either:

-
between Milan and Lyon

or:

8-)

Very much looking forward to these, keep up the good work!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

across Italy

BOOKED

BOOKED

BOOKED

-
between London and Essex

and either:

-
between Milan and Lyon

or:

8-)

I don't think people found them less interesting, more some people will use any opportunity they can to take the mickey.

I find you reports interesting, as you hold no quarter, you say what you think and I hope you continue to do that (within reason) I'm your reports.

Look forward to your next report, what's your next one scheduled to be, or is it a surprise? ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Very much looking forward to these, keep up the good work!
Thank you :)

I don't think people found them less interesting, more some people will use any opportunity they can to take the mickey.

I find you reports interesting, as you hold no quarter, you say what you think and I hope you continue to do that (within reason) I'm your reports.

Look forward to your next report, what's your next one scheduled to be, or is it a surprise? ;)
Err. Should be Hull Trains first if I can manage it :) Hoping next week perhaps.

On WednesdayTipsnTruth I shall be taking an insight into GTR and it’s value for money.

fowler9

Established Member

Err. Should be Hull Trains first if I can manage it :) Hoping next week perhaps.

On WednesdayTipsnTruth I shall be taking an insight into GTR and it’s value for money.
Looking forward to the Frecciarosa, Railjet and TGV as I have done them in standard but not first. Also I have visited Milan, Verona and Salzburg, any comments about them would be gratefully received to see your opinion. I love Turin if you are travelling in that area.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Looking forward to the Frecciarosa, Railjet and TGV as I have done them in standard but not first. Also I have visited Milan, Verona and Salzburg, any comments about them would be gratefully received to see your opinion. I love Turin if you are travelling in that area.
Not confirmed yet but should be flying to Milan, taking Frecciarossa to Verona, DB IC to Innsbruck and RailJet to Salzburg.

The initial plans for visiting other countries between now and August were:

April: Italy (Milan/Verona) and Austria (Innsbruck/Salzburg)

June: Scotland (Aberdeen)

July: Italy (Venice)

August: France (Paris), Dubai and Mauritius

However this is all very likely subject to change. :) Nothing apart from Aberdeen is confirmed!

Nev20

I think most of us on this forum have to develop a thick skin, such is the number of highly opinionated people on this forum.

Having an opinion and voicing it is not a bad thing, it's the manner in which some people voice those opinions that is sometimes less than pleasant.

And that is something I've voiced to TT in private about how he can improve. Though if people can know someone is the age he is, and still feel the need to have a childish pop on a thread where he puts in an awful lot of an effort I think it's frankly pathetic.

Anyway it's been detailed enough mate. Keep it up.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Hull Trains sounds good, interesting to see what their First Class offering is like. I'm not sure GTR is value for money (said with tongue firmly in cheek). ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member

Don't bother with GTR, it's value for money is zero!
The only difference between standard and first is the addtion of an antimacassar.

TheAdelante

Yo. Talking GTR I see. Southern/GN/GatEX - crap.
Personally I don't mind Thameslink first. The seats are much nicer than the ironing boards. No complimentaries but that is to be expected. Armrests and tables which is always good. Private style compartment. Not bad.
Lates.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yo. Talking GTR I see. Southern/GN/GatEX - crap.
Personally I don't mind Thameslink first. The seats are much nicer than the ironing boards. No complimentaries but that is to be expected. Armrests and tables which is always good. Private style compartment. Not bad.
Lates.

I personally feel the only South of England "commuter" operator that offers half-decent First Class accommodation is SWR. GTR and Southeastern just aren't worth the l.s.d. 8-)

TheAdelante

I personally feel the only South of England "commuter" operator that offers half-decent First Class accommodation is SWR. GTR and Southeastern just aren't worth the l.s.d. 8-)
Ah yeah, SWR alright but 444s are perfectly good in standard. No point spending extra on first just because I can, especially if its not worth it which half the time it isn't usually. I rarely travel first because standard is usually perfectly fine for most people including me. :)
R.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah yeah, SWR alright but 444s are perfectly good in standard. No point spending extra on first just because I can, especially if its not worth it which half the time it isn't usually. I rarely travel first because standard is usually perfectly fine for most people including me. :)
R.

I agree, standard is generally more than adequate, particularly for short journeys - but when you want to splash out a bit, I know which TOCs would and would not get my money.

(Also having read my reply to your comment above, I'd like to clarify that l.s.d. in that context does not refer to the hallucinogenic substance, just in case there's any confusion).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I agree, standard is generally more than adequate, particularly for short journeys - but when you want to splash out a bit, I know which TOCs would and would not get my money.

(Also having read my reply to your comment above, I'd like to clarify that l.s.d. in that context does not refer to the hallucinogenic substance, just in case there's any confusion).
I was gonna say! I didn’t know what it stood for so I looked it up :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member

Well until the 444s are changed to be 2+2 seating in First Class, so probably not worth upgrading.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well until the 444s are changed to be 2+2 seating in First Class, so probably not worth upgrading.
Ah. Well I caught the refurbished 450 yesterday. Very nice in first. Much nicer than the artist preview. Here is a photo I took.

27E45E16-6C26-4DC5-84CF-1978ED18F8B2.jpeg

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't that 450 just refurbished with new seats but hasn't been changed so First Class is behind the cabs (in a similar style to the 360/1s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.