• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN: Rail Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I plan to get a 7 day season ticket in first between Reading and Didcot (although I can only do 3 days with it) travelling first on 32x HSTs and 9x IETs. I will write up about it if this happens - although it won't be that interesting going back and forth. Might type up the given complimentaries though.

Just get a 3 day Thames River instead

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Using 3 days of a 7 day First Class season is an insane waste of money! There's better ways to spend that sort of money, for example doing what Mr. Twirly suggests and use the rest of the money to buy food and drink.

Honestly, Reading to Didcot and back more than a couple of times in one day would be incredibly dull. I can vouch for how dull that would get, having done 6 round trips (one of them split at Slough) between Reading and Paddington in one day just on HSTs. As fun as HSTs are, that gets really dull, REALLY fast, and I loved HSTs at the time!

Please, for the sake of humanity, think of a better way to spend that money!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I would book some cheap advances somewhere, like Swansea, Exeter, Plymouth etc.
I find that scoring new track is more fun than scoring just HSTs.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It’s not for the HSTs otherwise I would get a £3 Cherwell Day Ranger. It’s for the first class travel.

The seats are wonderful and I do love those first class complementary flapjacks! :wub::p They’re so good, I could eat them all day!

I think my thyroid must be overactive - I can’t believe I eat so much food on trains and still stay as thin as a pole! :oops::lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
£41.75 would certainly procure TT-ONR-NRN a very large quantity of flapjack indeed if that were the actual aim :p

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cue TT-ONR-NRN misreading the platform screens to end up on a HST which didn't call at Didcot, and instead was first stop Taunton ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cue TT-ONR-NRN misreading the platform screens to end up on a HST which didn't call at Didcot, and instead was first stop Taunton ;)

But think how many flapjacks you could eat on a journey that long.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Nah, I’m careful don’t worry. :D

But think how many flapjacks you could eat on a journey that long.

Yes, well I am rather partial to a “Pullins Fabjack” but don’t make me sound so greedy! :oops::frown::lol:

I’ve actually always been a very healthy eater, I used to be watch you could call perhaps even too healthy, salad and nothing else normally, but natural teenage stress, exam stress, voice over and acting career stress and loads more seems to cause very unlike me binge eating when I’m travelling! :(

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
fabjack-bar-gluten-free
No flapjack is worth such expenditure!

Yes, but have you had a Pullins Bakery Fabjack that they serve on GWR. Small but sooo good! I like their fruit cake too, actually.

I’m going to have to postpone it until February regretfully, as opposed to December as originally intended.

http://www.pullinsbakers.co.uk/our-products/fabjack-bar-gluten-free/

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those flapjacks taste like and have the consistency of cement. They'd make fantastic wheel scotches!

I spent at least three minutes laughing at that.
One mans heaven is another mans wheel scotches... :lol:

Dhassell

Doubt they would sell them wholesale in family bakery serving the town! :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s a very big long shot. Flight and train is £120 for me and my dad - just need a hotel with four or five stars that is fairly cheap! Not a hostel!

Ah well, wish me luck, haha.
Z - out :D

And flapjacks ;)

Spoorslag '70

[...]
Big plan time though (and it’s s long shot) is VTEC first class London to Edinburgh, flying to Düsseldorf, DB ICE to Wuppertal,
loads of trips on the Suspension railway and DB, Tram and U-Bahn bashing, flight back to Edinburgh, first class back to London.

It’s a very big long shot. Flight and train is £120 for me and my dad - just need a hotel with four or five stars that is fairly cheap! Not a hostel![...]

As a semi-local (Duisburg is just north of Düsseldorf) I would like to inform you, that there are (almost?) no direct ICE (or even IC for that matter) services from Düsseldorf to Wuppertal - you would have to travel via Hamm(Westf.) or Köln (or use the local services). On the hotel options, there should be plenty on the higher level in Düsseldorf, but they can be rather expensive during trade fairs. There is an IBIS (but only 2*) in the Main Station (which is of course quite expensive) but there are plenty of cheaper and better hotels further out (I had some very nice stays with the "Mercure" chain, there is one in the Seestern area, which gets some rather intense Light-Rail (U74, U76, U77) service. But this would probably depend on what the "aim" of your trip down here is (if it is Wuppertal, there might be some options over there and a rather good service to (some) other parts of the whole urban area). If you have some time to spare, be sure to travel on tram 310 (Bochum-Witten) - it is quite scenic and to be replaced by a much more boring line.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As a semi-local (Duisburg is just north of Düsseldorf) I would like to inform you, that there are (almost?) no direct ICE (or even IC for that matter) services from Düsseldorf to Wuppertal - you would have to travel via Hamm(Westf.) or Köln (or use the local services). On the hotel options, there should be plenty on the higher level in Düsseldorf, but they can be rather expensive during trade fairs. There is an IBIS (but only 2*) in the Main Station (which is of course quite expensive) but there are plenty of cheaper and better hotels further out (I had some very nice stays with the "Mercure" chain, there is one in the Seestern area, which gets some rather intense Light-Rail (U74, U76, U77) service. But this would probably depend on what the "aim" of your trip down here is (if it is Wuppertal, there might be some options over there and a rather good service to (some) other parts of the whole urban area). If you have some time to spare, be sure to travel on tram 310 (Bochum-Witten) - it is quite scenic and to be replaced by a much more boring line.

Cool thanks.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well guys, I’m cancelling the Germany trip - dates didn’t work out but I’ve got something else in mind regarding a Pendo.

Oh well. Anyway.
Chau for now! Z. :s

Last edited:

Dhassell

Well guys, I had planned a Thames Rover for tomorrow (it will be today in four mins) but in the last few hours I’ve wound up ill in a blooming hospital bed so I’m gonna have to postpone it for now!

I’m also cancelling the Germany trip - dates didn’t work out but I’ve got something else in mind regarding a Pendo.

Oh well. Anyway.
Chau for now! Z. :s
Hope you are okay! Get well soon!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ok. It’s booked!!!!!

3rd January (a Weekday)

07:43 London Euston - Glasgow Central 13:15. Via Birmingham. Breakfast included and then there should be either brunch or lunch towards the end of the journey.

I plan to use the Glasgow Subway before they replace the current crusty old things, I am rather curious to try them out...

I may also try to catch a 385 if I can...

The next day I’ll be returning on the 16:40 to Euston (avoiding Birmingham in order to enjoy the Evening Meal service). 2120 arrival.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think the 385s are not due into service until March time, the date keeps slipping back.

The Subway certainly is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.