• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN: Rail Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi guys - I don't really expect this thread to be successful, although if it is then, brilliant thanks! But this is my thread on my rail journeys I take when I can in order to bash trains!

At only 14 - I can't travel that frequently, but I do my best! I hope you like!!

----

One Coach Only!! - Early January 2017
On a rather drizzly day in January I got up excited and started off on my journey into London from North Camp station. GWR unrefurbished 165 unit turned up, and I enjoyed a smooth ride to Reading, where I boarded the first HST to Paddington. Here, I experienced my first Heathrow Connect ride, which was actually using the solo Heathrow Express 360. This took me to West Ealing, where I took my first ever Greenford line train to the terminus. The incline lift is great!

The Central Line, then the Central line again after a change took me to Ealing Broadway. I had plenty of time to kill until my train to Hayes & Harlington, so I took a D-Stock District Line train one stop, returning on S-Stock.

The HEx 360 returned which took me as far as Hayes and Harlington. I was flabbergasted to see on Realtime Trains that my train to Maidenhead (destination: Oxford) would be formed of a Sprinter, but doubtful.

That is, until the destination display told me: "Formed of 1 coach only!!", and I was so excited I almost screamed at the thought of a 153 working a London - Oxford service.

It was then CANCELLED (!!!!:cry:<() due to some sort of incident on the GWML, so I ended up taking HConnect back to Paddington, devastated. A slight consolation was that it was a proper HConnect 360 this time, my first one, as opposed to the HEx one.

Looking up at the boards at Paddington, I saw every train was cancelled, and that tickets would be excepted on other routes. And then my brain went: TING!

Within seconds I was on the 1972 Bakerloo line train one stop to Marylebone in order to try my first Chiltern service. I only had a Thames Valley Day Ranger, so I was worried my ticket would be rejected, but the man at the gate was satisfied with a simple, "I'm a diverted GWR passenger," without looking at my ticket, so I enjoyed a lovely 168 ride to Banbury. The guard said due to the diversions my ticket was valid on all Chiltern services to any station also served by GWR. I was going to go to Oxford, but it was a 165 (yuck) so I chose the Snow Hill service.

Shame it wasn't a Loco, but whoa I love Clubmans now! From Banbury I got my favourite type of rolling stock. (Here everyone is going to hate me and think me weird) The British Rail Class 221.

I'm sorry, but I love them!!! I took it to Reading, where a 166 took me to Slough, here I went on the much-loved-by-me line to Windsor and back in declassified first class. Then a 166 (refurbished) to Paddington, an HST back to Reading and another repainted 166 to North Camp.

Busy day. Loved it though.

:D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Gimme My Burger!! - Late January 2017
Late January weekends are best spent travelling! My opinion anyway! I started the day at always convenient Farnborough (Main) with the fast 10:00 to Waterloo, travelling non stop to Clapham on a 444. Good start to the day! :D

Took a 377 to Victoria, then the S Stock Circle Line train to Liverpool Street, where I enjoyed my first ever 90+Mk3 trip to Stratford, my favourite station.

Here I travelled to Highbury and Islington by Overground, before experiencing my first GN train, a 313 which I took to Finsbury Park. From Finsbury Park I took my first 365 to Kings X.

After jealously and reluctantly tearing my eyes away from the VTEC trains, from my current signature you'll know why I was reluctant! I took the Vic to Euston. Here I did my first ever LM train one stop to Wembley Ctrl.

Lunch at McDs Wembley, where I waited exactly twenty-six minutes for my hamburger!!! I was patient, knowing staff would be getting a hard time, but some were less patient, one guy yelling "Gimme my burger!!" at the top of his voice. Some people. If even a 14 yr old is thinking you're rude, you've got a problem there.

My first Chiltern 165 trip from Wembley Stadium to MYB was enjoyable, because I sat in had armrests and cute little cupholders, although I cant remember CR ever having first (apart from Business zone obvs).

Then VIC Line to VIC, a SN 455 to Clapham, and a 450 <( non stop to Farnborough Main, arriving at 1515. Good day. Got a lot of Rolling stock and TOCs done that I hadn't before! :D:D:D

Happy days!

=-)

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Good Decision!! - Late January 2017
I must get on a 442! That's what I said to myself every single day since 2015, and on the second to last Friday of January that target was achieved. I'd dragged my dad along as well. We took a 159 from Woking to Waterloo, where I rode an electrostar from W'loo Est to London Bridge. The 10 car 442 bound for Brighton was heaving. People were standing in the door ways.

I was torn with a decision. Get it, stand and not enjoy my 442 experience? Or wait for the Eastbourne train and get on it first and bag a decent seat - yet risk the chance of it being a 377. I risked it all. (Ooh, that's a song, right?)

Good thing too, as it pulled up five mins later a 442 (squee!!!) we got a table to ourselves!!!

Good Decision!! Enjoyed travelling fast through Gatwick and alighted at Three Bridges, where I took my first ever 700 (Score) to East Croydon. Then a 377 to Clapham and another 159 back to Woking.

There we go! I've done a 442.

I can breathe!

:D

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Welcome to the trip reports forum :)

Sounded like a few good days out on the rails :)

Thanks Kite 159 :D - arent you the guy who insulted my local station Guildford though :D HaHa its fine.

:D Yes they were good days thanks:D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the Association of Trip Reporters!

Someone who actively likes Voyagers? You'll not be popular with some people then :lol: I can't comment much as I used to love travelling on them until 2009.

Some fun trips had there, clearly, and I look forward to more from you in the future :)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Welcome to the Association of Trip Reporters!

Someone who actively likes Voyagers? You'll not be popular with some people then :lol: I can't comment much as I used to love travelling on them until 2009.

Some fun trips had there, clearly, and I look forward to more from you in the future :)

Thanks +Techniquest :D I know, I'm crazy, the other day I took a trip from Basingstoke to Southampton, and two 444s turned up but I chose to wait for the CrossCountry train. I would ever time! Probably just because I see so many Desiros living in SWT territory I'm purely bored of them! But yes, I love voyagers!

More coming up soon, I have many more to report!

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Enjoyed reading those, well written. Thanks for posting!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Enjoyed reading those, well written. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, thats really nice to hear! ;)

I have an extra long one coming up!

PS: This is my 100th post on RailUK Forums!

See ya!

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Welcome to the "club"! A good variety of stock had there - sounds like my kind of bash!

After trying the 442s myself shortly before they were withdrawn, I'd say it's a real shame they've gone.

Maybe do a 90+mk3 set a little further out - out of all the refurbished mk3s left on the network, they are the best as the seating is original and the decor is classy. They are therefore far more civilised than the airline seat-filled tin cans seen on GWR and VTEC! The run up the GEML is also quite slow, so it feels like a rail tour not a commuter service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh dear. Oh dear. You like voyagers... ;)

A good couple of reports but flagging a pair of 444s (the second best EMU in my opinion) for a voyager is clinically insane ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh dear. Oh dear. You like voyagers... ;)

A good couple of reports but flagging a pair of 444s (the second best EMU in my opinion) for a voyager is clinically insane ;)

Ah well I work in West End shows so I have to get 444s up to London at least three or four times a week normally. Plus we have a SWT Gold Card, which comes with free tickets so we always get 444s (or 159s) on days out too. So you do get bored of 444s eventually. They're all I've ever known (as well as horrid 450s), they're what I've grown up to. So a Voyager makes a nice change! I like them so much I've done 9 first class trips in them since March!

PS: I’ve been using my former stage name as opposed to my real first name for security purposes on this forum, but as I’ve seen that this is a very pleasant forum community I’m doing away with that.

T :)

Z :) (well - I did say I’d start using my real first name instead) ;)

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Welcome to the "club"! A good variety of stock had there - sounds like my kind of bash!

After trying the 442s myself shortly before they were withdrawn, I'd say it's a real shame they've gone.

Maybe do a 90+mk3 set a little further out - out of all the refurbished mk3s left on the network, they are the best as the seating is original and the decor is classy. They are therefore far more civilised than the airline seat-filled tin cans seen on GWR and VTEC! The run up the GEML is also quite slow, so it feels like a rail tour not a commuter service.

Thanks!

You are going to think me very weird for this, but I don't really like the original Mk 3 seats too much!!! This weekend I'm looking forward to a trip from London to Inverness on VTEC, and I'm praying it isn't the hired EMT set! I agree with GWR seats being uncomfortable however. But I like XC HST seats and love Virgin everything! My signature confirms it! Including the seats by the look of them, not travelled on them yet though. But if they're like XC HST seats I'll like them.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
:DHi guys. I've got a massive (ish) rail trip to Scotland on Saturday and Sunday. I have lots more 2017 raitrips to post about, and this Scotland trip will be one of them, but on here I will be updating what is happening while it's happening this weekend (a sort of blog style thingy) Hope you enjoy. Until then. :D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi guys!

Time of writing 05:37. On a 12 car 450 to Waterloo. Had to get up at 4am. Oh well. Planning to get tube to Kings Cross where my VTEC train awaits.

Got a 455 from Guildford to Woking, where I got the train I'm on now.

See you later!

TT-ONR-NRN out :D

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
5 hours later... in first class at Darlington en route to Edinburgh. Never had a more comfortable seat in my life!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thanks to Virgin East Coast for keeping me full up! 5 cokes, 2 teas, 1 hot chocolate, 4 bags of crisps, 4 duck hoisin wraps, 2 lemon drizzle cakes, 1 blueberry yoghurt, 5 cookies, ham and piccalilli sandwiches, pretzel packets, a pain au chocolate and chocolate truffles were offered to me today! Oh, and a banana. I accepted it all happily - it would be rude not to surely!

That was whilst doing:

Newcastle to Inverkeithing
Edinburgh to Inverness

in First! Generous staff or what!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Glad you enjoyed your day.

I did thanks. Two kids one at each end of the train kept having a hyperactive yelling contest to see who could yell the loudest!!!!! Then their parents put the Nutcracker Suite song on full volume ignoring glares from an old couple. Then a family with a little girl screaming that she wanted wine came on. Noisiest train I've ever been on! Maybe my thread about noisy kids caused karma!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That sounded most unpleasant for you with the screaming kids! It made me cringe!

Mind you, my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw how much you devoured in First Class! Even I would have struggled to consume that much, and I have a rather significant appetite!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Thanks to Virgin East Coast for keeping me full up! 5 cokes, 2 teas, 1 hot chocolate, 4 bags of crisps, 4 duck hoisin wraps, 2 lemon drizzle cakes, 1 blueberry yoghurt, 5 cookies, ham and piccalilli sandwiches, pretzel packets, a pain au chocolate and chocolate truffles were offered to me today! Oh, and a banana. I accepted it all happily - it would be rude not to surely!

On a weekend offering!? I was on VTWC weekday first class for 4+ hours and I wasn't offered even half that much, and even then I was far too full by the time I left the train!! Glad you had an enjoyable trip :)

Don't ever think I've had such a noisy ride before! I hope it wasn't too bad!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've had an East Coast steward actively trying to get me drunk. I think I got through 7 pints between Edinburgh and Kings Cross, and the last one of those was "are you sure you don't want one more?". West Coast aren't half as generous.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That sounded most unpleasant for you with the screaming kids! It made me cringe!

Mind you, my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw how much you devoured in First Class! Even I would have struggled to consume that much, and I have a rather significant appetite!

I won't lie, I did struggle. Had no lunch or dinner, just lived off of the first class offerings.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I've had an East Coast steward actively trying to get me drunk. I think I got through 7 pints between Edinburgh and Kings Cross, and the last one of those was "are you sure you don't want one more?". West Coast aren't half as generous.

oh they are! Got a full snack box on a Pendolino when just dojng Edinburgh to Haymarket in first last time i was in Edinburgh!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
On a weekend offering!? I was on VTWC weekday first class for 4+ hours and I wasn't offered even half that much, and even then I was far too full by the time I left the train!! Glad you had an enjoyable trip :)

Don't ever think I've had such a noisy ride before! I hope it wasn't too bad!

Thanks!!!

BR60062

I did thanks. Two kids one at each end of the train kept having a hyperactive yelling contest to see who could yell the loudest!!!!! Then their parents put the Nutcracker Suite song on full volume ignoring glares from an old couple. Then a family with a little girl screaming that she wanted wine came on. Noisiest train I've ever been on! Maybe my thread about noisy kids caused karma!
Sorry to hear that mate in regarding the screaming kids. This has happened to me in past travels. Not sure if you like to play music but some noise cancelling headphones might be helpful in those situations. I am glad you are enjoying the days out and soon, I will be using VTEC first class. So I will appreciate any feedback from other peoples experiences :).

theblackwatch

Established Member

Have to agree they can be quite generous sometimes. One time coming back from King's Cross to Harrogate on the direct HST, I'd had a couple of beers with my evening meal, and the staff member came round just before Doncaster and asked if I'd like another. My response was "go on then, as I'm going through to Harrogate", to which he replied "you'd best have two then". :D

Kristofferson

Ah, the Chieftain in first class was brilliant as I remember! As my trip report attests, it can be quite a "merry" service north of Edinburgh!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sorry to hear that mate in regarding the screaming kids. This has happened to me in past travels. Not sure if you like to play music but some noise cancelling headphones might be helpful in those situations. I am glad you are enjoying the days out and soon, I will be using VTEC first class. So I will appreciate any feedback from other peoples experiences :).

It's the best TOC in my opinion. Went on one 225 and two 125s. There is some sort of sickly sweet smell in the vestibules, sort of like an air freshener, but that's a good thing I suppose. All trains spotless. All had extremely welcoming staff, done CrossCountry First Class twelve times since February and first class meals weren't meals, and although FC hosts are quite pleasant T Managers are often very rude and above themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.