• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Challege style records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hello, i know that london has the tube challenge (which i will be attempting at a later date) but is there a similar record for MerseyRail or Tyne & wear or any other light rail systems in the uk?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I don't, sorry. I would expect somewhere in the region of 1h50 to 2h00 (ours was timetabled for 2h08 but could have been better).

N Levers

There are only offical (guiness world record) records for London and New York, however tubeforum.co.uk/forum have a list of records on other networks that their membera have unoffically competed in.

Ivo

Established Member
There are only offical (guiness world record) records for London and New York, however tubeforum.co.uk/forum have a list of records on other networks that their membera have unoffically competed in.

Guinness World Records *do* track the other records; it's just that they aren't publicised in the same way as the major ones. It's just that only a very small number are actually publicised in any manner other than among the archive material. This is why the Tube Forum's records are so prominent - they are the most easily-accessed records available.

Established Member
Wonder what the route was for the Tyne and Wear Metro? Main problem is the fact you need to double back so often.

Ivo

Established Member
Wonder what the route was for the Tyne and Wear Metro? Main problem is the fact you need to double back so often.

I would hazard a guess at the following (or the reverse):

Airport - Monument - SJP - Tynemouth - Benton - Monument - Pelaw - South Shields - Pelaw - Sunderland - South Hylton

One of the T&W advantages is that there is no real running required so anyone can do it! If ever I'm up that way with some spare time I might just give it a go and see how I do :p

Of course, it *might* be better to run Monument to SJP. But in practice I doubt it.

Established Member
Aye, just depends on if they used other forms of transport as well. With one bus and one rail move I could probably do it in around 3 hours.

VTPreston_Tez

I think there used to be one for Manchester but with the new Oldham metro extension I think a new record needs to be set.

Kryten2340

Aye, just depends on if they used other forms of transport as well. With one bus and one rail move I could probably do it in around 3 hours.

Technically speaking isn't the Shields Ferry part of the Mertro. It does appear on the maps after all. Or is this purely from an interchange point of view?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Unless you're doing it as a Subcrawl, Glasgow's rather predictable in timing...

Established Member
Technically speaking isn't the Shields Ferry part of the Mertro. It does appear on the maps after all. Or is this purely from an interchange point of view?

It's debateable. The ferry control used to be from South Gosforth Conctrol Centre, before everything moved to South Shields. Think the main reason that the ferry is shown on maps is to prevent tourists from thinking they have to travel all the way via Monument when they want to get from North to South Shields.

Established Member
Probably beatable, but depends on what the rules are (i.e. using public transport or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.