• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Challenge Run : In aid of Relief Fund for Bombing Victi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

Taken from - http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/notafraid/index.htm

On Thursday 7th July 2005, at least 50 people died in the worst terrorist attack ever to happen in London. As well as the dead, there are horrific injuries and people who will be mentally scarred and unable to travel on London's historic transport system (tube and buses) ever again.

The tube means a lot to us. We travel on it a lot. Sometimes we travel round the whole system just for the fun it. The 'tube challenge' community is as ****ed off about this as the rest of the world, and we would like to say : "We Are Not Afraid", as well.

'Tube Challenge Community' ? Well - there are a bunch of people (call us geeks if you really must!) who do this on a regular basis - Go round the whole tube system to compete who can do it in the fastest time possible.

It's a Guinness World Record. Myself (Geoff) and my friend (Neil) are the current record holders. This gets discussed a lot on this specific website for it here.

Ken Livingstone shortly announced afterwards an official Relief Fund for families of the victims of the bombings, and so because of this, here is what we are doing:

A mass team tube-challenge attempt, for all of us to get round the entire network in a day.

We're not trying for the record - as we recognise that chunks of the system (e.g. the central part of the Piccadilly Line damaged in the attacks) will not be open for a long time, but we want to do it soon - whilst the memory of what has happened is still in people's mind.

We don't want people running around like nutters making connections in the fastest time (like we normally do!). Like I say - we're not out to break records, we're just out to complete the system. If you think you're unfit doesn't matter - you can walk between stations to make connections. You can even stop casually for toilet breaks, a quick half in a pub and then carry on if you really want, although if you want to get round the whole system you're advised not to stop for too long.

This means we are going to get experienced tube-challengers and novices alike, to meet up ... start in the same place, and travel the whole tube system in a day i) For charity, and ii) For defiance.

These two main reason are important:

i) Charity. People often do this and raise a few pounds & pennies. This time everyone gets sponsored in aid of the bomb relief charity and we really go for it. Let's get thousands of pounds this time.

ii) Defiance. Solidarity. Togetherness. We are not afraid, and we well get back on the tube - the whole tube - and prove that we are more than happy to ride it. We say "**** you terrorists", and we will do the thing that we do best - ride around the tube system.

When & How

We intend to this at some point during the last week in August of 2005. We are not being specific about the date at the moment.

If you you wish to participate (whether you have already spoken to me or not) I need an official email from you, so that I log you and work out how many people are going to do this.

Please send an email to -> [email protected]

I will tell you what date we are planning to do this and if you can make it then you're in! You will then need to get yourself / your team sponsored. I'll create some official sponsor forms that you can use and post them here shortly.

Anyone is welcome to take part. I have already had people interested from overseas who say that they will fly in for a couple of days to London to do this. This is brilliant. Thank you. You are more than welcome in our fantastic capital city.

Which Route?

What I'm suggesting is that everyone starts at Amersham (Top left of the map). It's a popular starting place anyway, and the first train leaves around 05.30 in the morning. Tube maps are available from the TFL website here, or there is a complete 'Connections' map showing all rail services here.

Everyone starts together to generate a feeling of camaraderie and solidarity, but then becuase it would too hard to get everyone to stick together, we recommend that people split up into teams/groups and take their own routes throughout the day.

Whether we all finish or not at the same station (Upminster and Heathrow are the two favourites) is up for discussion because people obviously want to get home as well! But an Amersham start is a must.

The first couple of hours is quite 'set' anyway in the route that you take, and it's only as we head into Zone1 that people will start to split off and go their own separate ways.

If we don't all finish in the same place then may I also suggest that a meetup a day or two later (at the weekend) may then also be in order if people are up for it.

Finally

Remember. At the time of writing, 51 people have died. Dead. Gone. They're not coming back. This was a disgusting attack on innocent people of all races and religion. Many more are injured. Do it for them. Stand tall. Defy terrorism.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

I have emailed them to inform them of the post. I will probably take part in this myself and suppose you could call it a meet. Please see their page for contact info.

T

Tom

You can be sure that the tubechallenger will be most likely to be there! (Depends what I am doing that week!)

Jim

Established Member
I would say es, but, it is imposable for me as I live a 120min train ride away. The latest I can leave is 2000 & can't get there till 8.45

joy54.gen

There is a discussion on this on the tubechallenge forum- tubechallenge.com. I was one of the first to let Geoff know I would be running in this to show my support.

Dave A

Just realised 5:30 @ Amersham is hard to do. I live literally the other side of the tube map (Finchley) :shock: :?

T

Tom

You gotta be there for the first train (not 5.30, the first train is at 5.26!)

Dave A

tubechallenger said:
You gotta be there for the first train (not 5.30, the first train is at 5.26!)

D'oh! :roll: :oops: :) Now thats even harder. Anyone know how to get from North Finchley to Amersham by 5 am?

joy54.gen

Most people are staying overnight, if you want a space and the B&B you have to book through Geoff as he has booked all the beds their. Or other people are getting lifts in.

Status
Not open for further replies.