• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube drivers strike 05/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

Just announced tube drivers will be going on strike next month

@HeartLondonNews Tube drivers have voted to go on strike next month. Members of the Aslef Union will walk out on the 5th of October over working conditions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
I've not heard the drivers side of the argument, can anymore direct me to a balanced argument about the current dispute please?

Lrd

Established Member
I've not heard the drivers side of the argument, can anymore direct me to a balanced argument about the current dispute please?
http://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=5810
‘As part of the settlement of the dispute over the introduction of Night Tube, LU agreed to introduce a mechanism to allow drivers to reduce the number of shifts they work, on a pro-rata basis, and “new ways of working” to reduce the percentage of weekend shifts worked by July this year. They have repeatedly refused to make any detailed proposals to do so.

‘For more than 18 months management have prevaricated, stalled and delayed. Deadlines have repeatedly been missed and promises broken while our detailed proposals to resolve these issues have been ignored.

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
What proportion of LUL train operators are Aslef members?
Not sure, we get told that the RMT are the minority union though.

When RMT were on strike on the Central Line a few months ago, ASLEF drivers also refused to cross the picket line.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not sure, we get told that the RMT are the minority union though.

When RMT were on strike on the Central Line a few months ago, ASLEF drivers also refused to cross the picket line.

It varies by location. For example Golders Green, East Finchley and High Barnet are heavily Aslef, Morden and Arnos Grove are heavily RMT. So for example you'll normally see a fairly decent service on the Northern Line during an RMT strike, whilst the Picc would be decimated.

otomous

I'm sure we're all getting a little tired of this sort of thing. :roll:

We're terribly sorry. We'll do exactly what we're told in future without argument, and tug our forelock while we're doing it.

Mikey C

Established Member
It varies by location. For example Golders Green, East Finchley and High Barnet are heavily Aslef, Morden and Arnos Grove are heavily RMT. So for example you'll normally see a fairly decent service on the Northern Line during an RMT strike, whilst the Picc would be decimated.

Yes, with most industrial action being from the RMT in recent years, Northern Line passengers have got off relatively lightly up to now when compared with other lines...

pemma

Veteran Member
I imagine the LU dispute will overshadow all the RMT industrial action going on that day, given it's a new dispute while the media have already said everything they can relating to DOO.

Is this just going to effect the 5th of October or is this going to be 12:00 pm 5th to 12:00pm on the 6th sort of strike so as to disrupt 2 days for the cost of one as has occurred with recent underground strikes.

Thanks in advance.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Duties booking-on 24hr from 00.01-23.59 on Thursday 5 October.
So Wednesday night will finish normally and Friday start-up will also be normal.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member

Gosh. I expect the Drivers and their unions are a little tired of management giving assurances to get what they want and then subsequently refusing to honour them, too... :roll:

Funnily enough, people generally don't tend to forfeit a day's salary just for a laugh.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
Duties booking-on 24hr from 00.01-23.59 on Thursday 5 October.
So Wednesday night will finish normally and Friday start-up will also be normal.

There will be some cancellations early friday morning because of night crews not booking on Thursday night.

bramling

Veteran Member
Gosh. I expect the Drivers and their unions are a little tired of management giving assurances to get what they want and then subsequently refusing to honour them, too... :roll:

Funnily enough, people generally don't tend to forfeit a day's salary just for a laugh.

The atmosphere at present is pretty poor unfortunately. The amount of recurring management shuffling is akin to rearranging deckchairs on a sinking ship. Lots of issues everywhere one looks, stations and trains. Desperately there is a need for some quality leadership to sort things out, but the current lot are akin to the captains of a lost ship floating aimlessly in the sea, sadly.

Walk to Blackfriars and take a Thameslink train. Alternatively it's only about 45 minutes to walk the whole way.

Yes I was contemplating the walk across Waterloo bridge, Covent Garden, Holborn, Gray's Inn Road as I assumed alternative public transport would be a tad busy.

westv

Established Member

The union puts the interests of its members first so why should passengers be expected to put their own interests behind anybody?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes I was contemplating the walk across Waterloo bridge, Covent Garden, Holborn, Gray's Inn Road as I assumed alternative public transport would be a tad busy.

You're straying a bit if you walk through Covent Garden:) I'd suggest Queen Square and Judd Street myself, but then my experience is so last century.
Alternatively, try the direct 188 bus from Waterloo Road, drops you right outside KX, and only £1.50.

Last edited:

Val3ntine

Question to all Tube drivers/LU workers about this strike. I just want to clarify the actual reasons for the strike as media outlets are pretty vague simply stating “night tube workers working too many weekends”
What exactly is it that the unions/drivers are asking from TFL? Part time night tube T/Ops to work the usual 4 day week and essentially become full time so they can have days off as pro rota like their full time collegues? Or to instead not work every sat and sun but to work work during days of the week aswell maintaining their 2 days a week part time status?

I actually didn’t go for this position because I didnt want to 2 days a week nor did I want to commit to nights every weekend, as much as i really wanted to be a T/Op and perhaps maybe the oppertunity to transfer to full time in the near future I thought it sensible not to and instead waited and now I have got a contract to commence training as a Mainline driver for a TOC. If the t/ops signed when they started to all their conditions to work weekends and nights only two days a week, is it enforcable to now want to change what they have signed up to? Not bitter or against it or anything of course as I have said I am shortly starting as a mainline driver, but if anything maybe a bit jealous lol, really did fancy being a T/OP and sounds like if I had went for it I potentially could have been in a good position now.
If anyone can clear this up for me would be amazing.
Thank you
Valentine

Dstock7080

Established Member
https://www.aslefdistrict8.org/single-post/2017/09/08/Empty-promises-but-no-delivery-from-LU-management
ASLEF team once again met management at ACAS for the latest in a series of over 60 meetings to try to resolve our dispute over their failure to honour commitments made as part of the 2015 pay settlement.

Although we had expected that we would finally be given a proposal by management to reduce weekend working, as they promised 18 months ago, they simply repeated that they currently “have no plans to increase” it. This is a deliberately disingenuous approach; senior managers have made clear they want to be able to increase the number of weekend shifts you work from the end of the current pay deal.

It is now over six months since we submitted ten pages of detailed proposals, designed to be safe and mutually beneficial, that reduced weekend working and gave the option to reduce the number of shifts drivers work on a pro-rata basis. Not only have LU still not given any detailed response, it's increasingly clear that the senior managers responsible haven’t even read them!

This is part of a pattern of deliberate delay and obstruction by management. Earlier this year they promised to launch a new job share scheme by July. Now they say they will do it next year! Instead of rolling out the opportunity to give the choice of 4 day week rosters to those who want to do them, they now say they want to do an online survey, with questions they have already chosen, of people who decided not to take part in the trial ! Quite simply this is time wasting and obstruction with the aim of preventing other depots who might choose this option being able to do so.
There is also not a single new proposal to improve career development opportunities or create a fair promotion system for drivers.

London Underground want to walk away from the commitments they made as part of your pay deal. Having slashed station numbers, closed booking offices and ripped up working conditions in other grades they want to able to do the same to drivers.

Val3ntine

Thanks for this, great insight. So basically the union want TFL to ensure night ops get a guaranteed oppertunity at some point to transfer to full time when the availability opens if they want it? Sounds more simple like ths. Saying they want assurances they will work less weekends/4 days is a bit more confusing

rebmcr

Established Member
It is now over six months since we submitted ten pages of detailed proposals, designed to be safe and mutually beneficial, that reduced weekend working and gave the option to reduce the number of shifts drivers work on a pro-rata basis. Not only have LU still not given any detailed response, it's increasingly clear that the senior managers responsible haven’t even read them!

This is specific enough and plausible enough to convince me of its truth, in which case a strike (or at least a real threat of one) seems quite justified indeed.

Jetlagged

Thanks for this, great insight. So basically the union want TFL to ensure night ops get a guaranteed oppertunity at some point to transfer to full time when the availability opens if they want it? Sounds more simple like ths. Saying they want assurances they will work less weekends/4 days is a bit more confusing

I think I am missing something here Val3ntine so help me out.

I have read your question on post #26 a couple of times now. The same for Dstock7080's answer and have also opened and read through the link that they pasted with ASLEF's statement.

Nowhere there can I see ASLEF making any mention of the P/T Night TO posts. Can you point out where that gets a mention please.

Status
Not open for further replies.