• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube line that connects with all other lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

On the TfL website, they claim that the Jubilee line is the only line that connects with all others.

Surely the Central line does so as well:

Bakerloo at Oxford Circus
Circle at Noting Hill Gate/Liv St
District at Notting Hill Gate/Ealing
H&C and Liv St
Jubilee at Bond Street
Met at Liv St
Northern at Tottenham CR and Bank
Picc at Holborn
Vic at Oxford Circ
W&C at Bank

I wouldn't normally care but it caused my answer of the Central line to not get a point in a quiz ;)

Any comments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigVince76

I missed a point in a quiz because of this too, the quiz was at the London Transport Museum, guess we can forgive them as all they have is old maps!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd count that. In fact, all lines that serve either Waterloo or Bank/Monument, as far as I can see, other than the District, have interchange with every other line- so we can count the Northern and Bakerloo.

The District has no interchange with the Met. The Met has no interchange with the W&C and District. The H&C, Vic, Picadilly do not interchange with the H&C.

So the "answer" is now Jubilee, Bakerloo, Central and Northern Lines. Conversion of the ELL rather changed this question

tranzitjim

How would the split of the Northern Line affect this.

Both halves or sides of the Northern line would both interchange with a few lines at Kings Cross, but then....

Trainfan344

Established Member
Well how about Notting Hill gate for the Circle and District, and Liverpool Street for the H&C and Met.

tractakid

The Northern Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras
The Piccadilly Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras
The Circle Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras
The Hammersmith and City Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras
The Metropolitan Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras
The Victoria Line stops at Kings Cross St Pancras

The Northern Line stops at Bank
The Waterloo and City Line stops at Bank
The Central Line stops at Bank
The DLR stops at Bank
The Circle Line stops at Monument
The District Line stops at Monument

Eagle

Established Member
That's just the names on the platform signs though. If TfL decided tomorrow to change all the signs to say "Bank-Monument" would you change your mind?

Bear in mind that the south end of Northern line platforms are actually right next to the west end of the District platforms. You can walk it in about 60 seconds. When old tube maps said "escalator link" they were being literal: it's just a single escalator between the two.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree that they are clearly one station. They have one station control room (located on the Monument side), the plans & diagrams relate to the whole complex, the same staff team cover the whole complex, and so on.

tractakid

That's just the names on the platform signs though. If TfL decided tomorrow to change all the signs to say "Bank-Monument" would you change your mind?

Bear in mind that the south end of Northern line platforms are actually right next to the west end of the District platforms. You can walk it in about 60 seconds. When old tube maps said "escalator link" they were being literal: it's just a single escalator between the two.

It's easy to be fooled when making connections in that area, as Bank-Monument can take several minutes, W+C to Monument for example.

I would definitely reconsider my viewpoint if the whole complex was named identically, though I do think that would be a little inconsiderate to the history of each station. Not that the concept of history has feelings, but you know what I mean.

southern442

Established Member
I'd count that. In fact, all lines that serve either Waterloo or Bank/Monument, as far as I can see, other than the District, have interchange with every other line- so we can count the Northern and Bakerloo.

The District has no interchange with the Met. The Met has no interchange with the W&C and District. The H&C, Vic, Picadilly do not interchange with the H&C.

So the "answer" is now Jubilee, Bakerloo, Central and Northern Lines. Conversion of the ELL rather changed this question

If you changed the question to the tube line that connects with every line on the tube map, jubilee would be correct.

Muzer

Established Member
If you changed the question to the tube line that connects with every line on the tube map, jubilee would be correct.
(my emphasis)
Last I checked Emirates Air Line wasn't part of the tube network. It isn't even part of a day travelcard, it is after all a tourist attraction.

It isn't part of the tube network. But it IS a line on the tube map ;)

ModernRailways

Established Member
It isn't part of the tube network. But it IS a line on the tube map ;)

I'll admit, I never knew it was on the tube map! In my view, it shouldn't be on it since it doesn't allow travelcards but hey ho.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So what's the difference between Bank-Monument and King's Cross St Pancras (where the connecting passageways are even longer than those for Bank-Monument)?

Two NLCs and two station codes in the former case.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Today I was thinking about a variation of the question being 'off-peak London Underground services which connect with all other off-peak London Underground services that operate in Zone 1.'

The answers are the Bakerloo line servcies and the Circle line service. I have listed at least one service that each of the other services do not connect to:

Central, does not connect with Metropolitan (Baker Street terminators)
District, does not connect to Metropolitan
Hammersmith & City, does not connect to Waterloo & City
Jubilee, does not connect to District (Wimbledon - Edgware Road)
Northern, does not connect to District (Wimbledon - Edgware Road)
Piccadilly, does not connect with Waterloo & City
Victoria, does not connect to Waterloo & City

Status
Not open for further replies.